Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All 4 Tesla superchargers in DE taken by ICE vehicles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a close up of the sign:
Tesla_SuperCharger_Newark_Delaware.jpg

photo credit: http://localpowerspot.com/2013/01/01/tesla-delaware-welcome-center/

In the Seattle area, CHAdeMO stations are installed with "No Parking Except for Electric Vehicle Charging" signs similar to the ones that Tesla has. The signs are right in front of the spots, and the charger is huge, but some spots are very reliably ICEd anyway. The commonly ICEd ones are, as you'd imagine, prime parking spots.

To determine whether people were really clueless, or just didn't care, one local Leaf owner stuck up a placard that says "$250 Fine" below the sign. Bingo, the spots were almost completely ICE-free. In fact he had a lot of fun watching from across the lot as people would pull in, then back out and park elsewhere.

250Fine.jpg

So, I guess we know what it takes to keep people from parking there. Incidentally, the WA legislature is looking at a bill this week to have a $250 fine for parking in an EVSE spot without charging.

Last edited:
To determine whether people were really clueless, or just didn't care, one local Leaf owner stuck up a placard that says "$250 Fine" below the sign. Bingo, the spots were almost completely ICE-free. In face he had a lot of fun watching from across the lot as people would pull in, then back out and park elsewhere.
I don't know the legality of this idea, but it's a brilliant one.

To determine whether people were really clueless, or just didn't care, one local Leaf owner stuck up a placard that says "$250 Fine" below the sign. Bingo, the spots were almost completely ICE-free. In face he had a lot of fun watching from across the lot as people would pull in, then back out and park elsewhere.

Brilliant! I'd just put those at the super chargers. Even if it isn't enforced, most people will steer clear.

They can add the remote as a homelink profile to every model s. that'd be awesome.
IMO it could be much simpler than this. An old-school cordon that needs to be removed manually, would do the job just fine. No keys and no homelink necessary. For one, people are too lazy to get out of their cars before parking. And second, removing the cordon before parking in a space where you must not park, makes the violation much more obvious (to bystanders and to their own conscience).

IMO it could be much simpler than this. An old-school cordon that needs to be removed manually, would do the job just fine. No keys and no homelink necessary. For one, people are too lazy to get out of their cars before parking. And second, removing the cordon before parking in a space where you must not park, makes the violation much more obvious (to bystanders and to their own conscience).

That's true. I really hope tesla has a plan in the works.

They need to do something. If I was on a roadtrip and was blocked by an ICE I'd not be happy (more like enraged actually). I'm not sure what I'd do, but I'm totally confident my wife would key their car and cut the valve stems off of their tires. Totally confident.

A popular set of EV-only spots here was getting regularly ICEd. The parking management put in simple red cones to block the spots - 100% effective (just feels a little weird getting out and moving the cone every time I want to park/charge).

They need to do something. If I was on a roadtrip and was blocked by an ICE I'd not be happy (more like enraged actually). I'm not sure what I'd do, but I'm totally confident my wife would key their car and cut the valve stems off of their tires. Totally confident.

hmmm maybe she should carry an "ICE pick" and do a little window prodding on "ICE" ev spot stealers. Seems fitting.

I live in Newark DE and go to the super chargers at the welcome center often and have seen one SUV and one day two police cars blocking three of the chargers. They were there for the entire time we charged chatting away with each other. They had no interest in the car and thank goodness because we had the temp tags at that time and did not want to explain it to them.

There are also low emission vehicle spots next to the Tesla chargers and they are always filled with high emission vehicles!

ICE shaming - Perhaps this would help bring the issue to attention?

It's not true shaming if it doesn't have the license plate numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a great idea, but I'd change the part on the bottom to make it sound like a real enough ticket. Then let them struggle to figure out how to pay it and to whom. After all of that grief, they'll have learned their lesson perhaps.