Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alignment no longer part of Annual Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to have service look at negative camber on the rear wheels in a couple weeks. I had annual done about a month ago and it seems really screwed up to me. I'll see what they say but there's no way I'm going to be charged for it. I have the 4+4 and will absolutely hold them to the contract.

Don't pick a specific point in my post and attack it with reductio ad absurdum.

I'm speaking about a pattern of behavior by Tesla that, if it's indicative of a trend, is troubling to a potential owner (and should be troubling to existing owners as well).

The old "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" belittlement is beneath all of us here (or should be).

Hear, hear. And agreed, even.

If they have really removed alignment from the Annual Service that's really disappointing. It was one of the things that was used to justify the high cost of this service to me. I'm actually having my first "Annual Service" (I'm nearly 17k miles, appointment was made when I was slightly past 12.5k) in 2 weeks. I have mixed feelings on if this service is really worth it, this doesn't help me feel comfortable about forking over $600 to Tesla.

I asked an employee today who confirmed this. "Yes this is what Tesla is pushing for [not including alignment anymore]".
I'd be find with that decision if they made the rear have less negative camber or have it at least user-adjustable without aftermarket parts. I've been surprised how many Tesla's go out of alignment. But we'll see how mine does. I'm glad I went ahead and got a lifetime alignment on mine. Something tells me I'll be needing it.

Have to say, as a seriously-considering-it potential new owner, I'm disspirited by these kinds of changes. Kind of wavering on my excitement for the Tesla based on a bunch of little things I've been reading like this and the center console debacle...

Center console debacle? If you're wavering because of something to do with the center console, then perhaps this car is not for you.

I can't speak for gizmoboy, but I expect that it's not the actual center console itself, but rather the way customers were treated that would cause him to reconsider. Who wants to purchase a $100,000-plus car from a company that doesn't honor its commitments to its customers?

My car was just returned from its two-year prepaid annual service and the alignment was included. It was also de-creaked in the A pillar and pano roof bar, and the early version floppy floor mats were replaced with the nice thick stationary ones. Wonderful service.

I talked to my SC yesterday, and they said that there was a change in policy. Nothing has changed for the prepaid service. The prepaid service will include an alignment.
The service for those that didn't pay in advance will include an alignment check, but not an alignment. So if it needs an alignment, and you want it done, it will cost you extra.

So it seems to be a global policy change, or at least North America.

.. Nothing has changed for the prepaid service. The prepaid service will include an alignment. ...

Sorta happy to hear that .. prepaid service was sorta not worth it. It's more "worth it" now I feel.
So per service it's $475, alignment can run $100-$150 easily. So the real cost of a service now is $325.

.. and this is why ladies and gentlemen, I ponied up and bought the service!

Also, if I was buying a used Model S, I'd feel more comfortable if the seller said "Hey it was serviced when Tesla said it should have been serviced".

What I can't make up my mind about is .. should I get service for 8 years or 4 years! The first 4 years, is understandable. But 8 years later, the car will probably be worth $20K. Not sure if spending $2k is worth protecting $20K.
Or you could just wing it with $1.2K (2 services) .. hmm! It's a $700 difference. Grrr.! (not to mention, extended warranty IMO is a must on this car).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I talked to my SC yesterday, and they said that there was a change in policy. Nothing has changed for the prepaid service. The prepaid service will include an alignment.
The service for those that didn't pay in advance will include an alignment check, but not an alignment. So if it needs an alignment, and you want it done, it will cost you extra.

So it seems to be a global policy change, or at least North America.

So for the minor service years (years 1, 3, 5, etc.,), if it no longer includes alignment, what are they doing for $600? :) We have the key fob battery, the wipers, a bunch of "checks" and then what?

Prepaying for the services definitely seems to be the way to go. The $600 service I thought was overpriced at what it was but it seems even more so now with alignment excluded. The only bad part about prepaying for the services is that if you have a 3 year lease, you are wasting away the 4th year service.

- - - Updated - - -

.. and this is why ladies and gentlemen, I ponied up and bought the service!

What I can't make up my mind about is .. should I get service for 8 years or 4 years! Thoughts?

You are one smart Kuttakamina! :) If you plan to keep the car might as well lock in 8 years of service. I would first lock in the 8 year bumper to bumper warranty before I lock in the additional 4 years of service though if you plan to keep the car for a long duration.

You are one smart Kuttakamina! :) If you plan to keep the car might as well lock in 8 years of service. I would first lock in the 8 year bumper to bumper warranty before I lock in the additional 4 years of service though if you plan to keep the car for a long duration.

I'm smarter than I look huh? WOOF!! :)

By lock in, do you mean the "extended warranty"?

There are three things to consider there,

1. Unlike service plans, I have 4 years to decide on the extended warranty, and 4 years of interest on $4k is atleast 25 cents, 12.5 cents after tax.
2. Tesla is the guarantor of that extended warranty. If Tesla files for bankruptcy (not unthinkable given the headwinds they may face), that warranty will be worthless - of course if that happens we have bigger issues anwyay. Even if it isn't a bankruptcy, the headwinds most likely means additional pressure on service centers to cut back on their excellent service.
3. In 4 years, while the price of that extended warranty will most likely be revised upwards, but Tesla may have a better 'repair' network, and may allow for third party extended warranties, probably pushing the price down - a counter balance force that most likely means the price won't be revised upwards significantly. Plus there will be a lot more 4 year old MS's by then.

8 years is a very long commitment for a car. And well, every car I have owned, I have never bought extended warranty on it. In the most likely event that the car is issue-free for the first 4 years, the probability of an issue arising in the last 4 years is low (not zero).

So .. long story short, I'm gonna risk it by delaying the extended warranty purchase. I may regret it, but for a 4K profit, vs. a 1K upwards price revision risk, the risk is justified. And most likely I will know at the 2 year mark whether or not this car will need the 4K expense or not.

One additional thing to consider .. If I buy 8 years of service now, and If I trade in the car in 3 years for another Model S, I will receive a pro-rated refund for the remaining visits. If I sell the car privately, the service plan transfers to the new owner.

The reality is, I will most probably never trade in my blootiful to Tesla. Mostly because their trade in offers are so ridonkulously low .. ! So I have to assume the service plan is burnt money. Grr.. this decision is so hard!

Sorta happy to hear that .. prepaid service was sorta not worth it. It's more "worth it" now I feel.
So per service it's $475, alignment can run $100-$150 easily. So the real cost of a service now is $325.

The main question though is alignment still included only for people who ALREADY purchased prepaid service before the policy change, or will it be included with all future buyers of the prepaid service? My money is on it is only included for people who bought before the policy change.

The main question though is alignment still included only for people who ALREADY purchased prepaid service before the policy change, or will it be included with all future buyers of the prepaid service? My money is on it is only included for people who bought before the policy change.

Disclaimer: Everything below is lies. Consult your lawyer, do not listen to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. The current contract says "alignment is included".
2. It also says "any changes must be agreed to by both parties".
3. It also says "tesla can change what is included at it's sole discreetion"

#3 and #2 contradict each other. #3 will not stand in any court. Tesla HAS TO honor the contract - unless it files bankruptcy. Even then, wiggling out of that clause will be very difficult unless its the next fisker (unlikely). Remember, you can write whatever the hell you wish in a contract. Doesn't mean all of the contract will be honored. That is why you always have a clause like "other provisions stand if ..". For instance, I can say in a prenup, "if you get fat I owe you no child support" - its not valid even if she signs it. A unilateral mod to a contract is NEVER valid, it's merely there to act as a deterrent to majority of the sheeple. .. anyway, I could go on .. but the #3 clause is invalid.

So long story short, while #1 is true, my recommendation is to lock in the contract that includes the service plan.
Lock in atleast for 4 years .. the 8 years, I'm still confused about!

Don't forget, as of now, even tire rotation is included :). Tesla could easily charge another $60 for tire rotation without service plan.

Last edited:
I got paranoid and went for the whole 8 year plan mostly for the promised "hardware upgrades" that later vanished. At least I'm getting more value now that the alignment is still included.

I think that is very smart to have that peace of mind... We plan to do the same when we get our Tesla. Even if you decide to sell your car before the 8 years are up having that coverage will help you sell it. We'll pay up front and lock in the cost of the service visits as well as the cost and availability of the bumper to bumper factory warranty for 8 full years. I've discussed the warranty aspect on a different thread but current CPO policy limits us to considering a private sale so we can get additional years of warranty coverage than the "only" 4 years offered by Tesla with no ability to pay more for an extension.

- - - Updated - - -

They told me that since I'm using non standard tires, they won't touch my wheels or rotate my tires. I know other people have had the opposite experience.

Wait what! Did you get 22" super extra low profile tires? :tongue:

They told me that since I'm using non standard tires, they won't touch my wheels or rotate my tires. I know other people have had the opposite experience.

Sadly, you're SOL there. The service contract says clearly that you must abide by the owner's manual. The owner's manual specifies exactly the kind of tire you need on the car page #136 on https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d..._model_s_owners_manual_na_r20140926_en_us.pdf.

Sorry, but this is why I don't do crazy stuff with my car. Even swapping the wheels for TSportline, Vossen, or putting XPel on, technically means, you are giving Tesla wiggle room in the service and warranty contracts.

Not fair, but totally legal.

The BEST thing to do is, buy the service plan, and stick with the owner's manual. You do your part, Tesla should do theirs.