Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Information

In my ongoing efforts to keep the pressure on Tesla I got a response to an email yesterday. I spoke with a person of authority at Tesla who confirmed a few things:
First, he confirmed that "Smart" Air Suspension will return in version 5.9 NOT 6.0. And that it would be user definable and better than it was previously.
Second, he confirmed Tesla is NOT waiting for NHTSA to release anything. The holdup has been making sure they are getting it right. They are working diligently on a few remaining bugs to make sure that it has zero issues prior to push.
Third, he confirmed the release of v.5.9 is scheduled for "...a little less than 3 weeks from today".

Chippers report is what I was alluding to earlier.. There are other nice features coming in 5.9 also

Which ones are you considering "nice"? The color-change door handle LEDs? The self-clean touchscreen mode? Road noise cancellation? or the cruise control / turn signal function swap?

(There, that discussion should keep some people busy for a while. :) )

I'm still running 5.6. I'll happily upgrade to 5.9 when it comes out as long as the charging current reduction bugs have been squashed as well. 5.6 really has been stable.

Yeah rub it in Andrew, rub it in! ;)

The color-change door handle LEDs? The self-clean touchscreen mode? Road noise cancellation? or the cruise control / turn signal function swap?

@Flasher, you know those are deal breakers for me! ;)

New Information

In my ongoing efforts to keep the pressure on Tesla I got a response to an email yesterday. I spoke with a person of authority at Tesla who confirmed a few things:
First, he confirmed that "Smart" Air Suspension will return in version 5.9 NOT 6.0. And that it would be user definable and better than it was previously.
Second, he confirmed Tesla is NOT waiting for NHTSA to release anything. The holdup has been making sure they are getting it right. They are working diligently on a few remaining bugs to make sure that it has zero issues prior to push.
Third, he confirmed the release of v.5.9 is scheduled for "...a little less than 3 weeks from today".
Thanks for the helpful update. Perhaps we now can be spared the perpetual repetition of this "Groundhog Day" like thread. ;)

Larry

New Information

That's strange because some have already received 5.9 and are now on 5.10. No reports of lowering returning in those later releases. The above information doesn't seem accurate based on actual reports from the field.

I noticed that there may be a change in the language on the order page for the Smart Air Suspension option. I think it used to say something different. I'm not sure when this language changed happened.

Smart Air Suspension: 'Automatically levels and adjusts stiffness for optimum performance and ride regardless of road surface or cargo. Using the touchscreen, drivers can raise or lower Model S when entering a steep driveway, navigating snow, or unloading passengers and belongings.'

I think the language about adjusting stiffness for optimum performance is relatively new. It seems like the air suspension may be adding more functionality to adjust the stiffness of the ride in addition to the leveling function. But it also seems to remove reference to automatically lowering at speed.

Last edited:
This makes sense, since that function currently doesn't exist. I imagine the language will be finessed again after the release of 6.0 (or 5.9)
Unless it doesn't "automatically" lower any more. Think about it. If the adjustment is user definable it might mean that YOU can lower it or raise it any time you want but it will no longer automatically lower. In my opinion that would remove the "Smart" from Smart Air Suspension. It would also remove Tesla from one factor in the case of liability. I hope this is not how they have chosen to resolve this issue.

Unless it doesn't "automatically" lower any more. Think about it. If the adjustment is user definable it might mean that YOU can lower it or raise it any time you want but it will no longer automatically lower. In my opinion that would remove the "Smart" from Smart Air Suspension.

Elon has stated in several interviews that users will be able to set the height of each suspension setting as well as control when they engage. By all accounts, it should be better than before (and quite a bit more complex).

The part of the order language page for the Air Suspension that really intrigues me is the reference to adjusting the stiffness for optimum performance and ride. I was under the impression that the original air suspension was more of a basic ride height/self leveling system and didn't adjust the stiffness of the dampers. I've always hoped that Tesla would give us the ability to adjust the firmness of the ride (Comfort, Sport, Standard for example), but it would be even better if they can program the suspension to automatically adjust to road conditions and driving parameters.

Maybe this functionality is going to be part of the 6.0 release? It would make sense to update the order page now since cars ordered now would not be delivered for at least a month or longer. Keeping fingers crossed that this portends a release of 6.0 with in the next 1 to 3 months!

Last edited: