Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you mind providing the research to make such a statement? Because such a change effects the aerodynamic drag (along with the handling) stating such a generalized percent simply is not possible. Perhaps you meant 2% at 40 mph? If that were true, wouldn't that mean that it's 8% at 80 mph? To the person who only travels at 40mph, it might not matter at all, yet to the person traveling at 80 mph, well I think they care just a little more.

Peter

Yes, plus, don't understand all the fuzz on auto lowering.... Research proved it will hardly save 2%....

Would you mind providing the research to make such a statement? Because such a change effects the aerodynamic drag (along with the handling) stating such a generalized percent simply is not possible. Perhaps you meant 2% at 40 mph? If that were true, wouldn't that mean that it's 8% at 80 mph? To the person who only travels at 40mph, it might not matter at all, yet to the person traveling at 80 mph, well I think they care just a little more.

Peter[/QUOTE

It would be even more. The pressure drag increases with the square of the velocity. This is why traveling at higher speeds has a non-linear effect on range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_equation

Sorry if it was unclear. I was not weighing in on whether or to what extent lowering affects range. I was responding to the 2% at 40 vs. 4% at 80 to point out that it is not a linear effect. Whatever range effect there is gets worse with the square of the speed.

Peter had it correct originally. He did not say 4% at 80, he said 8%. This is consistent with doubling the speed squaring that and then multiplying by 4 to get 8%.

Unless someone had data from before the change to compare with. Obviously exact same conditions would be improbable, but similar conditions would be possible since people often drive the same routes. As far as I know no one has reported a noticeable change in energy consumption that can be traced to the height change.

Alright, quick, who has an indoor track and two nealy identical model s's, one that has been updated and one that hasn't. They need to be the same battery pack type and quality (both a, or both b). Someone is wrong on the Internet, and we need to figure out who it is.

i will say, being an engineer, there most likely is a performance loss. The question is how negligible. I was originally more concerned about this loss, but from the experiences of others and my own, I would say it has seem to be slight. It seems to be Much less than other daily factors, that's for sure.

Alright, quick, who has an indoor track and two nealy identical model s's, one that has been updated and one that hasn't. They need to be the same battery pack type and quality (both a, or both b).
I wish Tesla was already doing this kind of stuff. They have the means and at least some of its current and future customers actually care about the real impact of such changes.

Alright, quick, who has an indoor track and two nealy identical model s's, one that has been updated and one that hasn't.
The adjustable lowering links could easily be used for this test.

The bigger issue would be any potential changes in alignment as a result of the difference in ride height. If toe changes at all, that would definitely have an effect on range/efficiency.

I wish Tesla was already doing this kind of stuff. They have the means and at least some of its current and future customers actually care about the real impact of such changes.
You can bet that they have done this stuff - the question is why haven't they posted the results.

You can bet that they have done this stuff - the question is why haven't they posted the results.

Lose-lose proposal for Tesla. Either:

a) It makes a difference and they upset all air suspension customers that feel like they had a feature removed.
b) It makes no difference and they upset all air suspension customers that feel like they paid for a feature that didn't really exist.