Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to find it, could bot any.ore. You can at least do some kind of test: drive up to 160 km/h with two teslas with exactly the same setup and pressures etc. lower one manually and the other one not, and look at the screen.... Would not spend the time myself on it, just like to drive around and enjoy the car

Tried to find it, could bot any.ore. You can at least do some kind of test: drive up to 160 km/h with two teslas with exactly the same setup and pressures etc. lower one manually and the other one not, and look at the screen

Unfortunately, it's harder than that. First there have to be two runs where the cars change places. Then they have to be at the same exact charge level. Ideally they should have the same miles on the battery and the battery should be of the same type (A, B, D). I've done these kinds of tests, and they are non-trivial to do.

Agree!!

EXACTLY! Just give me what I paid for and I will be happy, happy, happy!

This is a key point.Not complicated. Not a safety issue (as Elon has said). Not "added" programming. Paid for it after an impressive sales talk. Taken away. Now.....Give it back.

In my case Tesla pushed the feature pretty hard, collected the "balance" with the $2000+ dollars for the feature they touted as a "significant performance plus" on a Friday turning the car over to me. On Saturday during a discussion over the phone concerning a separate performance issue I was convinced to download the "upgrade" software that had become available that very day...and that we would "love the new features". Bang! Feature paid for and gone the next day. As MANY of us have requested....give it back. Simple. (Unless it IS NOT SAFE...then issue another detailed "Mission Statement" press release with data and revised commitments)

Last edited:
It is coming.... Patience. That's all we are trying to say. I'm not so sure where the difficulty is. If the topic had just plain disappeared (like parking sensor retrofit, or things people were actually promised like hard drive space). The fact that they are keeping it in their public communications is enough to believe they are doing their best.

They took it away while they are revamping it. This is no different than your Internet service that you pay for going down for a bit while they revamp their hardware.

Now, if they stop talking about.... Then it is time to speak up more.

Last edited:
It is coming.... Patience. That's all we are trying to say. I'm not so sure where the difficulty is. If the topic had just plain disappeared (like parking sensor retrofit, or things people were actually promised like hard drive space). The fact that they are keeping it in their public communications is enough to believe they are doing their best.

They took it away while they are revamping it. This is no different than your Internet service that you pay for going down for a bit while they revamp their hardware.

I think you're saying people should spend their angst energy in the A/B battery pack thread since Tesla hasn't even started talking about that, much less stopped.

Respectfully disagree with @Kraken . It's a HUGE difference. Nothing "went down". Something was removed. It should be put back unless there is a reason. (engineering problem, safety, even PR/politics if appropriate communication is provided) This isn't about "patience" IMHO. It's about business practices. Nothing has to be "revamped" (if the implication is that means "re-engineered). If it did, an appropriate communication (not rumors or guesses or innuendo) should be initiated for all to see. This has not been a "keeping it in their pubic communications". It SHOULD be. Properly, for a publicly traded company. A good start would be to re-issue the "Mission Statement" with new commitments.

From all we know at this point....the feature should be returned now.

I am with @apacheguy....pressing Tesla to do the right thing. I am not sure about a "blog", but rather an appropriate communication (check out publicly traded companies websites where you will see areas set aside "for immediate release"). Everyone, not just bloggers or a select few, need to see a clear position on this. As @apacheguy states: "I certainly won't shut up..." for many reasons one of which is that I/we have an affection for not only the car but also the company. To the point we sing the praises allowing Tesla to spend almost $0 on "advertising".

Last edited:
I am with @apacheguy....pressing Tesla to do the right thing. I am not sure about a "blog", but rather an appropriate communication (check out publicly traded companies websites where you will see areas set aside "for immediate release"). Everyone, not just bloggers or a select few, need to see a clear position on this. As @apacheguy states: "I certainly won't shut up..." for many reasons one of which is that I/we have an affection for not only the car but also the company. To the point we sing the praises allowing Tesla to spend almost $0 on "advertising".

Thank you. Incredibly well said. Echoed my sentiment 100%.

Patience

Thank you. Incredibly well said. Echoed my sentiment 100%.

I am one to vote for patience. In my mind, Tesla felt it had to address a possible safety issue and changed a feature, hopefully temporarily (which is what they said), while they looked into the matter. Perhaps they felt there was a liability if they didn't give the customer more explicit control. Perhaps they feared if they didn't do this, there would be a claim of a defective product and they would be forced to take the feature away altogether. I can't know what was in their minds, but I am willing to take management at its word on this one and wait to see how it plays out. Sure, it might take a month or two longer than they thought, but if their care means they are less likely to be sued or have the Feds come down hard or less likely to have a fire (eg, they didn't give the customer the chance to make the car safer than it already is—the safest car out there), but so long as they are working on a fix, I am happy to wait.

ViperDoc
Roadster 1305
Model S Signature 55

@ViperDoc - Yes, I agree with you wrt to air susepension. You came in the middle of it and probably did not realize we were not discussing auto-lowering. We actually got off topic and were discussing the 90 kW limitation, which has been handled incredibly poorly on Tesla's part, IMO.

Would you mind defining "it". Does that mean lowering just as before, with the original Low, not our newer low that isn't as low as before? This isn't a case of telephone that has someone really see a car with 5.6, or saw a car with 5.8 parked still be able to lower and was confused?

Peter

via a friend of a friend, and witnessed first hand: I can assure you that it is definitely coming back, and it is coming back before 6.0.... nuf said..

Lowering is fully controlled by the driver, at any speed chosen.. The software is ready, being tested... 'it' is better than before... Still lame it was taken away from us... My guess is that an nhsta announcement is imminent (based on what I saw).. Note that I didn't measure how far the car lowered.