Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just amazes me to no end how people can defend a company that removes functionality that was paid for after the fact. In some cases people have paid for the air suspension specifically for the lowering at highway speeds to reduce range. Tesla has pushed the air suspension using that exact reasoning. Removing it like they have done is not acceptable, and frankly unless Elon's blog talks about the partial refund they plan to issue to the people who have paid for the air suspension I really don't see how what he has to say is going to matter.

I applaud everyone who can be patient, but truth is that Tesla has made a material change to the way the car performs without telling anyone in advance, no e-mail, no blog post, no announcement, beta testers apparently were unaware and Tesla didn't include anything in the release notes. That's hardly textbook communications whether we stay patient or not.

P.S. Please stay civil.

It just amazes me to no end how people can defend a company that removes functionality that was paid for after the fact. In some cases people have paid for the air suspension specifically for the lowering at highway speeds to reduce range. Tesla has pushed the air suspension using that exact reasoning. Removing it like they have done is not acceptable, and frankly unless Elon's blog talks about the partial refund they plan to issue to the people who have paid for the air suspension I really don't see how what he has to say is going to matter.

I agree 100%. And they continue to raise the pricing of the vehicle by putting in bundling options for parts that aren't selling well. I've personally been very supportive of Tesla, but I am now seeing this company as a FOR PROFIT company. If material change comes about through these software upgrades, at the very least let us know in a blog or by email. Elon's been very outspoken whenever there is an event that potentially affects its stock price, but this imo is unacceptable.

I disagree that this move is aimed at addressing a media problem. I think it's geared toward the US government. I expect there's some pressure from the NTSB and this allows Tesla to say "look, no need for panic, we've just reduced the risk. Let us study the issue a little longer." The media is going to spin this as a response to a design flaw. There's no good way out of the media pickle other than no fires for a while.

Agee with Nigel.

According to me it's a bug that beta testers didn't figure out. We will just have to wait for the next update to fix it... hopefully it will come soon.

IMO it is not a bug. I believe the beta testers were not aware of this feature change. If you look at the chronology everyone was waiting and waiting for 5.0-5.6. 5.6 started to get rolled out, then the '3rd fire' and suddenly you are hearing about 5.8 quick roll out. I believe the bugs found by beta testers were identified and corrected from 5.0-5.6. The 5.8 came out fast for everyone it appears and included TMPS/wiper changes that appear to be announced in the notes but no mention of suspension changes.

I hate this "we know what's best for you" attitude where they think they can do these things without communicating to the rightful owners.

Give me a choice.

Let me choose if I want to limit lowering the car because I can't avoid obstacles.

I have two other cars with lower clearances. Thankfully, the manufacturer can't decide its in my best interest to change it.

I hate this "we know what's best for you" attitude where they think they can do these things without communicating to the rightful owners.

Give me a choice.

Let me choose if I want to limit lowering the car because I can't avoid obstacles.

I have two other cars with lower clearances. Thankfully, the manufacturer can't decide its in my best interest to change it.

I honestly do feel you pain but I will be surprised if this is the final word on the air suspension. If it is I will be right there with you. Until then I am willing to give TM a wide berth as I believe there is a lot more to this story (which we may never here).

This is the whole reason FOR buying a car like this.
Because they can make changes like this.

The car I have today is much improved over the car that was delivered to me over a year ago.
True, I would have preferred more communication before the change was made. But there are many possibilities and getting all worked up over it is silly.
Tesla may have identified a possible issue that will require further study. If, in the meantime, not allowing the car to lower will help reduce the likelihood of another of these accidents, then I am very thankful they could do this so quickly and easily.
Or, it could be lots of other things. But for gods sake, stop hyperventilating and give them a couple of days to let us know what is going on.
Indeed one of the reasons I have a deposit down on a Model X.

Seems Tesla is in a quandary on multiple fronts. They are doing what they think is good for the company (PR, agencies investigating/watching), stock holders, most owners, etc ...
BUT several folks here are just saying what about me, myself, and I and my $ I paid for the difference ... to heck with the company future ... what about me, myself, and I.

I think that if there's any merit to a safety issue, Tesla needs to come up with a better solution. The undercarriage of the car will be susceptible to road debris and an extra 1.5 inch would not make much of a difference in my opinion.

I ordered the Air Suspension for two reasons: 1) So I could get my car earlier and 2) because most of my driving is on the freeway and I liked the idea of improved range via the auto lowering. I'm not as upset as some, but am eager to see how this plays out. My winter tires are going on soon, so I now won't be able to tell if any change in energy use is due to the tires or the suspension.

Indeed one of the reasons I have a deposit down on a Model X.

Seems Tesla is in a quandary on multiple fronts. They are doing what they think is good for the company (PR, agencies investigating/watching), stock holders, most owners, etc ...
BUT several folks here are just saying what about me, myself, and I and my $ I paid for the difference ... to heck with the company future ... what about me, myself, and I.

Yes, indeed, it is my property. Therefore, I am very much interested what happens to MY property.

Tesla is a for profit corporation, not some altruistic, non-profit charity.

If you read the comments, the big issue is the complete and utter lack of communication and consideration of the owners, those of us that have already bought the product.

At least tell us what is going on. Don't **** with us.

Yes, I very much care what happens to my property.

It's the tens of thousands of "me's" that make a Tesla successful by buying their products.

Make "me" happy.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ugh, my commute to work is 80 miles round trip and it's ALL freeway. I really do feel the difference with the low setting at highway speeds (after having driven a loaner car with non-air suspension). I already have a recipe for charging every 3 days at a public garage at work and I do not want the reduced range to affect that.

I will be joining the folks who skip the 5.8 update.

My guess is that the Low setting at highway speed on the Smart Air cars will be re-enabled as an option in a future firmware update. Coding the UI for that option might have required more time than Tesla was willing to wait.

After exploring it some more, I'm confident that TM will reintroduce the "low" setting. The fact that they left it in the UI is a big hint. This is similar to how they limited charging in 5.6 for European cars, only to remove the limitation in 5.8.

I will still call Tesla on Monday to express my concern, but I'm willing to give them time to sort it out.

Still wish there had been some communication on this matter before the update.

I think a bunch of people are over-reacting. Air suspension still gives you a better ride over less than perfect pavement. It still allows you to raise up so you don't ruin your spoiler on dips, etc. Not lowering at highway speeds will also keep the camber from increasing, and will save the rear tires from increased shoulder wear. 15-20% more ground clearance will also reduce the risk of battery damage. I'm sure this is temporary until they have time to study the situation further. If Tesla goes under because of bad public perception from more fires, we all loose. I've had multiple people make fire comments, and we don't want the perception to get worse, even though we know it isn't a real danger.

I put snow tires on today and then updated to 5.8; after reading this thread I kind of wish I hadn't accepted the update. I drove to the airport tonight to pick up a friend and found that the Low setting is locked out (except for one time when I tried it at around 25 mph: go figure). Handling is less positive, but it's different at all speeds, so it's probably the tires and not the suspension height.