Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just another update from Brent Stutler at Tesla Corporate:

[/QUOTE]We have not received any notice that differs from the public information that was provided in our blog post regarding the temporary disablement of the “low” suspension setting at freeway speeds, and we look forward to returning this function to your vehicle in the near future.(Emphasis mine) Our teams are hard at work to ensure every piece of Model S performs at the highest possible level, and we truly do appreciate your patience while we work to bring you the vehicle you had expected and was promised to you upon delivery.

Legal must be all over this right now. Elon was pressured into providing some type of response, but it seems his response did not provide a good ETA with sufficient padding.

+1 Yup.

- - - Updated - - -

Just another update from Brent Stutler at Tesla Corporate:
We have not received any notice that differs from the public information that was provided in our blog post regarding the temporary disablement of the “low” suspension setting at freeway speeds, and we look forward to returning this function to your vehicle in the near future.(Emphasis mine) Our teams are hard at work to ensure every piece of Model S performs at the highest possible level, and we truly do appreciate your patience while we work to bring you the vehicle you had expected and was promised to you upon delivery.

A number of words to say nothing (from Chipper). Reminds me of corporate nonsense I had to pass on "from the top" to the people who worked for me before I retired as a senior manager in a large conglomerate. Words that do not match actions. Much like "Your call is VERY important to us. Please stay on hold."

I suspect that like me, many would be happy to wait a little while longer to have functionality restored in return for FW with fewer side effects. My focus is on the end result and less on end of January. What I love about TMS is the ability to add new features via OTA update. I look forward to seeing more of that take place.

+1 Yup.

- - - Updated - - -

We have not received any notice that differs from the public information that was provided in our blog post regarding the temporary disablement of the “low” suspension setting at freeway speeds, and we look forward to returning this function to your vehicle in the near future.(Emphasis mine) Our teams are hard at work to ensure every piece of Model S performs at the highest possible level, and we truly do appreciate your patience while we work to bring you the vehicle you had expected and was promised to you upon delivery.

A number of words to say nothing (from Chipper). Reminds me of corporate nonsense I had to pass on "from the top" to the people who worked for me before I retired as a senior manager in a large conglomerate. Words that do not match actions. Much like "Your call is VERY important to us. Please stay on hold."
Yup! That was my take too. At least "near future" was generic enough that they can run out the fix virtually ANY time in the next month or so. Of course that negates the "expected in January" comment from Mr. Musk.

I was fortunate that the Houston SC didn't install 5.8 on my P85+ on Tuesday. They tried to convince me I needed the latest firmware. They loaned me a P85+ with 5.8. I didn't like the standard suspension setting at highway speeds, but the real deal breaker was the reduction in regenerative braking. I was using the brakes much more than in my P85+. The SC confirmed that 5.8 reduced the regenerative braking. One reason it was deployed was to get drivers to use their brakes to keep the brake discs free of rust or glaze. I guess I will have to keep 5.6 for a much longer period because I refuse to have reduced regenerative braking. I love one pedal driving. I am shocked there has been so little pushback about the reduction in regenerative braking. I immediately noticed it and was not pleased.

My regen under 5.8.4 is also a bit lighter, however switching to low regen makes the car feel like it's coasting. Since the behavior in the two modes is quite different, I'm assuming the car did not confuse the settings and is working as it should.

If you feel that your regenerative braking is reduced perhaps you should report the problem to Tesla.

In my case after rebooting my regenerative braking returned to the aggressive braking that I experienced prior to the upgrade.

Larry

No, I don't feel this is anything I need to bother service about. I spoke to another MS owner last week who says it's the same on his car, and plenty of evidence online that this is the way it's supposed to be. Again, standard regen is still noticeably (significantly) more aggressive than low, but it's just oh so slightly less aggressive than it used to be. Smoother is probably a better word.

I just received this response from Ownership in response to my following request "I would greatly appreciate a definitive statement regarding whether regenerative braking was deliberately changed after the 5.8 firmware upgrade."

Hi Lawrence,

I’ve checked with the team and confirmed 5.8 did not change regenerative braking.

Best,

Luke
Luke Sohl |Ownership Experience Advocate
3500 Deer Creek Rd. | Palo Alto, Ca 94304
p 650.681.6180 |
877.79.TESLA e [email protected]

Larry

I suspect that like me, many would be happy to wait a little while longer to have functionality restored in return for FW with fewer side effects. My focus is on the end result and less on end of January. What I love about TMS is the ability to add new features via OTA update. I look forward to seeing more of that take place.

Absolutely!

Larry

I just received this response from Ownership in response to my following request "I would greatly appreciate a definitive statement regarding whether regenerative braking was deliberately changed after the 5.8 firmware upgrade."

Larry

There mostly certainly was a difference in regen when 5.8 was first installed. It was huge and it had nothing to do with outside temps (aka wasn't the usual degraded regen in cold weather while it's still warming up). It was almost completely disabled. Felt like only 10-30% of its normal regen. And this was in 70 degree weather one freakishly warm day. Flipping it between low and normal made no difference. It was like this consistently for almost 2 weeks. Then when I found out the reboot trick I went outside, first tested it to make sure regen was still not functioning. I then reset the console and BOOM it was instantly fully restored to 100% again. Never had a problem since either. I'm contributing this to some software install glitch. I doubt Tesla meant to degrade this intentionally. That would make no sense. They should really figure out what went wrong there with that install and make sure it never happens again. I'd be surprised if they didn't already know the reason and already have it permanently fixed. I wouldn't expect them to ever admit there was a glitch in the first place though. I got the same response as you when I inquired about it. But that's the answer id expect anyway even if there was a glitch. They don't need any more negative things for some media outlet start harping on.

There mostly certainly was a difference in regen when 5.8 was first installed. It was huge and it had nothing to do with outside temps (aka wasn't the usual degraded regen in cold weather while it's still warming up). It was almost completely disabled. Felt like only 10-30% of its normal regen. And this was in 70 degree weather one freakishly warm day. Flipping it between low and normal made no difference. It was like this consistently for almost 2 weeks. Then when I found out the reboot trick I went outside, first tested it to make sure regen was still not functioning. I then reset the console and BOOM it was instantly fully restored to 100% again. Never had a problem since either. I'm contributing this to some software install glitch. I doubt Tesla meant to degrade this intentionally. That would make no sense. They should really figure out what went wrong there with that install and make sure it never happens again. I'd be surprised if they didn't already know the reason and already have it permanently fixed. I wouldn't expect them to ever admit there was a glitch in the first place though. I got the same response as you when I inquired about it. But that's the answer id expect anyway even if there was a glitch. They don't need any more negative things for some media outlet start harping on.

Yes, I have discussed this in posting #852 and posting #855.

I also communicated this to Ownership.

Luke,

Apparently there was another flaw in the recent software update that Ownership needs to know about. After consulting with Engineering Ownership has been communicating to owners that there were no revisions made to the software that changed the regenerative breaking profile. This is technically correct, but misleading. A member of the Tesla Motors Club (TMC) has uncovered that while no changes have been made to the regenerative profile, what has happened is that after the update the regenerative braking setting was switched from Standard to Low even though it displayed as Standard on the display settings. After rebooting and toggling the regenerative braking settings, the original Standard settings were restored. Several TMC members, including myself have verified this corrective action.

I would appreciate it if you would pass this information on to the appropriate teams and after independent verification it would be helpful to notify the Model S owners.

It is unfortunate these "honest" computer mistakes are being interpreted by owners as deliberate changes to the performance of their cars without proper notification. Although I do not share these feelings, it is somewhat understandable that owners would now jump to erroneous conclusions since Tesla did deliberately change the functioning of the automatic air suspension without adequate explanation in advance of the update.

Sincerely,

Lawrence Chanin

Larry

Correct. Many will be happy to wait. Patience is good. Also, many will expect Elon to keep his word. January is January. Not living up to PART of the mission statement/press release puts other parts of it into question (there is no safety problem). If Tesla, as an official corporate communication (not blahs from inside sources), releases a position statement that they need more time to work out unexpected side effects, this would be good. And the many like me...expecting Elon's commitment, may be re assured. Otherwise. there is a lot of speculation here passing as "official" company position. Back to basics: Elon keep your commitment. If you can't, step up and re word another mission statement.

My guess is that when the end if January comes they will announce that there are a few more bugs in the update that they need to work out and deliver it sometime in late February early March.
Judging by Tesla's lack of communication my guess is the end of January will come without an announcement and they will roll the "upgrade" (or remove the "downgrade"...however you want to look at it) without fanfare and it will still come with a "Gotcha" or two.

More interesting is that Tesla HAS decided to communicate, and it's clear they keep a close eye on this forum (Hi! :) ).

They have done so out of the public eye, with those who are the loudest about this issue. I personally find it a shame that they wish to spend that energy quietly reassuring a few, to quite them down, instead of spending the same energy opening an open dialog with all of the owners. Especially as they near missing their own deadline, this is significant tactical error, especially given how this function was removed.

George Blankenship started a QA section of the main TM web site, which has not been used in quite some time. I urge Tesla Motors to use it once again. A simple post of the following would pacify most owners:

Q: Will the original functionality and unaltered height of air suspensions lowering at highway speed return, and when?

A: Yes, we have been working hard at Tesla to not only return the original functionality of air suspensions lowering at highway speeds, but improve the functionality of air suspensions by giving owners more control of this function. We are currently working through a rigorous quality validation and testing on the software which is taking longer than originally expected. This function along with lowering to the original unaltered height will return during the first quarter of 2014.

But, that's my philosophy, and not theirs. Not talking with the owner community, more than anything, speaks to the attack that they feel they are under from the outside. They have chosen a strategy of public silence.

Peter

Judging by Tesla's lack of communication my guess is the end of January will come without an announcement and they will roll the "upgrade" (or remove the "downgrade"...however you want to look at it) without fanfare and it will still come with a "Gotcha" or two.

More interesting is that Tesla HAS decided to communicate, and it's clear they keep a close eye on this forum (Hi! :) ).

They have done so out of the public eye, with those who are the loudest about this issue. I personally find it a shame that they wish to spend that energy quietly reassuring a few, to quite them down, instead of spending the same energy opening an open dialog with all of the owners. Especially as they near missing their own deadline, this is significant tactical error, especially given how this function was removed.

George Blankenship started a QA section of the main TM web site, which has not been used in quite some time. I urge Tesla Motors to use it once again. A simple post of the following would pacify most owners:

Q: Will the original functionality and unaltered height of air suspensions lowering at highway speed return, and when?

A: Yes, we have been working hard at Tesla to not only return the original functionality of air suspensions lowering at highway speeds, but improve the functionality of air suspensions by giving owners more control of this function. We are currently working through a rigorous quality validation and testing on the software which is taking longer than originally expected. This function along with lowering to the original unaltered height will return during the first quarter of 2014.

But, that's my philosophy, and not theirs. Not talking with the owner community, more than anything, speaks to the attack that they feel they are under from the outside. They have chosen a strategy of public silence.

Peter

Peter, I agree with your plea for QA on web site. That would make this forum a lot less entertaining, though.

For my part, I just try to recognize that this is the character of the company: they set extremely ambitious goals, deliver extraordinary product, but always just a bit later than they'd hoped. Maybe they should be less optimistic with dates, but I'd rather they stay ambitious to a fault. That's what got us - against all of the odds - a reinvention of the automobile by a brand new US car company, the first on this scale in almost a century.

I agree with Tomas, this company has a lot on its plate. You need to go back and think about what an incredible car this is and appreciate that Tesla has given us this amazing product. I know everyone knows what it took to start from the ground up and build not only an incredible car but also an all electric car. Yes, I want the auto lowering back!!! Having said that I think we all need to realize what is going on with this company in all the departments. We all know what is lacking, it has been said many times. IMO, 5 years ago I never thought I would be able to own anything like this let alone that there would be a car developed to this level. We all want everything and we want everything now!!! So take a deep breath and have some patience.

You are close. It is quoted in my previous post as "...expected in January..." Not as hard and fast as I would like it to have been. Then you have to compute that into what I like to refer to as "Elon time" and what do you get????

Everyone of these recent posts are accurate in one aspect or another. Still it would be of high character if the company addressed the mission statement and was forthright NOW if there are circumstances that will delay or cancel the return of the lowering feature we paid for. No argument with the speeches that Tesla is a great company and has achieved some impressive goals. It's more difficult for a corporation (now publicly traded and held) to STAY great. A matter of character. IMHO a shift takes place where much time is spent working on watering down "commitments". A very funny line from Jack Nicholson in a movie where he is caught mincing words: "You gotta understand, I have ALWAYS TOLD YOU SOME VERSION OF THE TRUTH!" In any case, some owners will shrug shoulders and not care about this, some will be appreciative of what they already have and speak out to wait and wait, some will point out how great the company has been, and others (while not disagreeing with the latter) will still "expect in January" what was dramatically promised in the very moving, and passionate mission statement (official position). This follow though will further give the company credibility. Less desirable, but admirable, would be an official re issue of the original statement explaining a delay or cancellation of the feature. Still a few days left to do "the right thing" expected of publicly traded corporations concerning honest, open, communications. Communicating "out of the public eye" as some have mentioned as a virtue has gotten many a publicly traded company in trouble (if in fact that was the intention and case). I don't really buy that any official company spokesperson had addressed this to us, or stockholders (who in some cases are us too), or in a press release. Here's hoping for the best. Aside from all, the Model S is a magnificent machine. High hopes for the corporation and it's leadership.