Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never found definitive data explaining how much range was gained by lowering the car when I placed my order, how often was that supposed added range gain going to be needed through out the year anyways, so I didn't feel it was going to affect me too much. I am certain the fires have caused more damage to many portfolios, current & future sales around the world so even if I did have Air Suspension I would give it up if Tesla felt it was important.

There are some things that I don't understand from this thread yet and I haven't gone out on a highway at all to try.

1) does the car *auto* lower at all anymore at any speed to the low setting?

2) If you set suspension to high, does it still reset to normal height when you start to drive ?

3) does the car let you manually lower to low at any speed?

4) if 3 is true, will it stick? Or does it auto raise to normal at higher speeds?

I don't recall ever reading that the choice to take air suspension or not has any influence on range.

From the Tesla website:

Untitled.jpg

Based on my conversation with Ownership, the lowering feature of the air suspension was "disabled" in v5.8. I was told that it can't be overridden by the owner "at least not right now"...

The representative, however, was not sure if the lowering was just pushed to a higher speed. I am expecting a call back once he can check this with engineering. I will post an update after the call back.

There are some things that I don't understand from this thread yet and I haven't gone out on a highway at all to try.

2) If you set suspension to high, does it still reset to normal height when you start to drive ?

4) if 3 is true, will it stick? Or does it auto raise to normal at higher speeds?

Actually my cache didn't update so I missed a bunch of replies... Gotta re-read to see if these were answered.

I never found definitive data explaining how much range was gained by lowering the car when I placed my order, how often was that supposed added range gain going to be needed through out the year anyways, so I didn't feel it was going to affect me too much. I am certain the fires have caused more damage to many portfolios, current & future sales around the world so even if I did have Air Suspension I would give it up if Tesla felt it was important.

Others have posted 10 Wh/mi, which seems reasonable. This was a comparison between an air suspension car and a non-air loaner IIRC.

As I am currently riding in my car, let me answer your questions.

1. With 5.8, the car no longer auto lowers. We are doing 72 and it still says the height is still standard. My husband says there is a noticeable difference in handling. It reminds him of the loaner we had with standard suspension.

2. Your car will automatically return to standard when you get over 8 miles an hour.

3. While standing still you can lower the car to low, but you cannot lower the car at high speeds. Am not able at this moment to test at slow speeds.

4. See point 2 above.

I really hope they add the option to choose to the have car auto lower or allow the driver to manually lower. I personally feel this is an over reaction. How high is high enough? If people still hit objects on the road at standard causing battery punctures and fires will we one day find ourselves driving around at high or very high?

This really needs to be put in perspective. Road debris exists and there will always be debris with the potential to cause damags resulting in fires. However, not every Model S that has run over debris and had the battery punctured has resulted in a fire. Something the press has managed to overlook.

I really hope cooler heads will prevail in the future and we will once again be able to utilize the low setting at high speeds. I understand the risk and I find it low enough that I'm willing to accept it.

I will not be accepting 5.8 or any other release until lowering is an option again. 5.6 working just great for me.

I'm also happy with 5.6 for now. It'll take more than TPMS sensors and wiper replacement mode to motivate me to give up the air suspension settings. I've driven plenty of "low" cars before without issue and personally I think it's an over-reaction to an unfortunate coincidence, (although I can see why Tesla did it).

As someone who generally doesn't drive over large metal objects, I agree this should be optional and diminishes the value of air suspension.

If Elon writes a blog that says that the two fires would have been prevented and this will drastically eliminate future fires, I would accept it. But if it's just done for PR reasons without any data suggesting it will help, that's not cool.

The lowering of the chassis made possible with the air suspension was one of the main reasons I opted to pay for the upgrade. Now, poof, it's gone. Doesn't seem right. And if it's going to be made selectable, how about communicating same?

I know, right? That's always been one of my "selling points" that I tell other ppl about the car too - that it lowers on the highway for aerodynamics and range. If this is a permanent change then I think we're all due an air suspension refund for being duped into purchasing this useless feature. (clearly I doubt that's the case and hopefully they'll re-enable it...).

From the Firmware 5.8 thread. I'd wager that is so Elon can boast that all Model S owners received a safety enhancement OTA, without the need for a recall and in less than 48 hrs.

Funny how they leave this out of the release notes.

Honestly they should call it "unreleased notes" or actually better have a section for "features disabled or removed" in the release notes lol.

I also wish they'd be more descriptive about how they constantly keep changing how rated range is calculated. It seems like every release they make, that the rated range drops a small but not insignificant amount...

As I am currently riding in my car, let me answer your questions.

1. With 5.8, the car no longer auto lowers. We are doing 72 and it still says the height is still standard. My husband says there is a noticeable difference in handling. It reminds him of the loaner we had with standard suspension.

2. Your car will automatically return to standard when you get over 8 miles an hour.

3. While standing still you can lower the car to low, but you cannot lower the car at high speeds. Am not able at this moment to test at slow speeds.

4. See point 2 above.

I really hope they add the option to choose to the have car auto lower or allow the driver to manually lower. I personally feel this is an over reaction. How high is high enough? If people still hit objects on the road at standard causing battery punctures and fires will we one day find ourselves driving around at high or very high?

This really needs to be put in perspective. Road debris exists and there will always be debris with the potential to cause damags resulting in fires. However, not every Model S that has run over debris and had the battery punctured has resulted in a fire. Something the press has managed to overlook.

I really hope cooler heads will prevail in the future and we will once again be able to utilize the low setting at high speeds. I understand the risk and I find it low enough that I'm willing to accept it.

Thank you and I totally agree!!

There is nothing wrong with the Model S and there is no battery defect. All these fires were the result of accidents. This is what we have insurance for people!!! Wake up media!!! This is not Tesla's problem but rather an insurance and idiot driver problem!

Hah!
I can now replace the ride height sensors with a resistive divider set to Standard ride height and put coil spring dampers on my P+ WITHOUT getting any air suspension errors. I think I just found a very small silver lining to the lowering/not lowering cloud.

Nigel,
So you were the SLR owner.

Last edited: