Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Port parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good Morning,

I'm going on a cruise soon and was planing on leaving the car in a parking lot for a week. If I charge at 100% will by battery be dead when i get back 7 days later?
Has anyone done this? If so, will you share your experience
Thanks
Andy

Good Morning,

I'm going on a cruise soon and was planing on leaving the car in a parking lot for a week. If I charge at 100% will by battery be dead when i get back 7 days later?
Has anyone done this? If so, will you share your experience
Thanks
Andy
A week should be fine especially this time of year. I have done this multiple times with my Roadster. A month or during a cold spell of below 20F could present a problem unless you could find a 110v plug. I basicly lose a mile per day so you have a good bit of margin.

you shouldn't leave it parked at 100%, 90% will suffice and be better for the battery pack. as for vampire losses, one week in mild temps should not be a problem but as already noted if you could find a 110 outlet it wouldn't be a bad idea to leave it plugged in while you are away. many garages will have outlets, outlets would be harder to find in many surface lots.

I've had mine unplugged for three or four days at a time. It doesn't lose much juice unless it's very cold out.

Watch this if you are particularly interested. Bjorn knows his stuff!
Video: Tesla Model S Vampire Drain After 27 Cold Days of Being Unplugged - Inside EVs

Edit - Also I agree I'd only charge to 90%. And IMHO trying to find a 110v line is a waste of your time - doesn't matter, all will be fine. Just park the car and have a safe trip.

Agree with others. Only charge to 90% -- do not leave your MS for extended periods at 100%. To maximize remaining range upon your return, consider:
  • Set Controls / Displays / Energy Saving ON -- that will put your MS to sleep more -- in my tests, leaving me with 2-4 more rated range miles per day when not plugged-in
  • You could also uncheck the "Always Connected" option under Energy Saving which in my tests MAY save you another mile per day of rated range, but personally, I keep mine checked, as it allows me to check-in with my MS via the Tesla App while I'm traveling to ensure all is well -- assuming of course your MS is not in the depths of some parking garage and have lost cellular connectivity.
  • If you listen to USB music, be sure you manually switch to something like an FM station before exiting your MS to avoid the possible "phantom playing" problem that can take another 2-3 rated range miles away because Tesla has not yet corrected this known Media Player bug
  • ...if you do that, no need to worry with a 110V being away for a week.
ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
What you charge car to before your trip kind of depends on the distance from your house to the airport (and which MS model you have). In my case, I live 90 miles from the airport - so if I was going to be gone for a week, I would have to charge to 100% to be able to drive the car home without stopping to top off.

We just got back from an 11-day trip to Australia. Normally I wouldn't leave my car at the airport, but home renovations meant that we couldn't leave it in the garage or driveway, and it's illegal here to leave a car parked on the street for more than 3 days. So, anyway...

We did nothing special at all regarding settings. Just parked and walked away. It had about 180 rated miles when parked, and about 150 when we returned. No worries. Once you've lived with the car for nearly four years, you just stop thinking about that sort of thing.

I have been away for 3 weeks and left my car plugged in, in my garage. Set to 60%, no energy saving mode turned on at all. About every 5 days, the SOC has dropped 5% and the car starts to charge. I have no idea what mileage I lost/gained. My display is set to show percent, not a guessed range number.

I really miss my car though :(