Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket ventilated seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little bit of background. I am about to order a set of leather seats replacement covers for my currently white interior 23 MYP. I have has samples sent from a few venders and have narrowed bit down to this company. I can't stand the "vegan" seats in the MY. They don't breathe at all. I also have a 22 MS that has perforated cream colored seats. Here in Texas, my legs and back don't sweat in the MS even when the ventilators aren't on. So my theory was that having a seat that had a minimum of vent holes (ventilated) would allow a small amount of air to travel and help relieve the problem. Additionally, the black leather perforated seats in my Ford don't cause me to sweat either even with the seat blowers turned off.

My question. leatherseats.com offers a seat ventilation system. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it or with something similar? An upholstery shop will be installing the seat covers and if I'm going to install the ventilation system, it needs to be done at this time. Not sure where I would mount the control switches either. Still in the research phase. Thanks

I recall seeing another thread on here where someone shared that the occupancy sensors are an issue for installing aftermarket seat ventilation. But I haven't done any of my own research and talked to any companies
Fisch. Thanks for the input. Looks like I'm going to try the seat covers without the ventilation kit and see how it works. I can always order the kit and then install if I find out that they don't allow enough air to circulate.

Reactions: thefisch
I suspect that as you have found this is more down to the material then anything else. I've never had an issue with my back sweating in any other car even in 40C + heat. yet the MY effects even on cool days. It reminds of driving 70's era UK cars with vinyl seats. The MY seats just feel like a massive step backwards. I would have much preferred cloth to be honest

Reactions: sfRonH
You might get perforated seats, but where's the system to pump air for ventilation??
You don’t necessarily need something to pump air in order to get some reduction in heat buildup. The seats are much cooler in my other vehicles that have perforated seats and the vent motors turned OFF. There is less contact area with the ventilated seats and I’m sure that actual leather plays a role also.

Reactions: sfRonH
You don’t necessarily need something to pump air in order to get some reduction in heat buildup. The seats are much cooler in my other vehicles that have perforated seats and the vent motors turned OFF. There is less contact area with the ventilated seats and I’m sure that actual leather plays a role also.
Try some seat beads or a different car if your so troubled by what’s standard in the entry price car.

Try some seat beads or a different car if your so troubled by what’s standard in the entry price car.
Thankfully most people ignore the ill considered and sarcastic comments by some people.

do you know if it's top grain or full grain leather? or some other type of synthetic material?
Not really sure about that one. They did send me some samples as did Katzkin. Leatherseats.com was way more informative when I asked a few questions (no affiliation), so I decided to go with them. I explained about the seats in the Tesla being 100% vinyl. Their response was that all "automotive leathers" were essentially some form of blend, but I'm no leather expert. Just know what feels good. To that point, I explained that I wanted something that was more like the products chosen by manufacturers like Porsche, Lexus, Ford, etc.

I compared the samples to the seats in some other brand vehicles and they felt identical.

The seats should be completed in 2-3 weeks. After they are installed, I will give a review here.

Well I said that I would post a review of the leather seat upgrade that I did on my car. After driving that car for about a month and a half in Texas 100F heat, I can say without a doubt that the difference is substantial. My wife and I both notice that the seats "breath" so much better. No more sweaty backs and legs due to sitting on the old plastic "vegan" seats. The color is a little lighter than the cream color that is in the Model S that we have but not as white as OEM. I'm glad that I paid a professional to do this job. I'm certain that I could have done it as I'm very mechanically inclined but it took him a fraction of the time that it would have taken me. If anyone is on the fence about this and you live in very hot climates, give it a shot and you won't be disappointed.

IMG_3309.JPG
IMG_3310.JPG

Well I said that I would post a review of the leather seat upgrade that I did on my car. After driving that car for about a month and a half in Texas 100F heat, I can say without a doubt that the difference is substantial. My wife and I both notice that the seats "breath" so much better. No more sweaty backs and legs due to sitting on the old plastic "vegan" seats. The color is a little lighter than the cream color that is in the Model S that we have but not as white as OEM. I'm glad that I paid a professional to do this job. I'm certain that I could have done it as I'm very mechanically inclined but it took him a fraction of the time that it would have taken me. If anyone is on the fence about this and you live in very hot climates, give it a shot and you won't be disappointed.

View attachment 958539View attachment 958541

They look great. Would you be able to share what this ended up costing, at least ballpark? And did you compare the custom leather kits from TSportline, by any chance?

Reactions: VipinLJ
They look great. Would you be able to share what this ended up costing, at least ballpark? And did you compare the custom leather kits from TSportline, by any chance?
Cost was around 2600, this included buying the seat covers and the installation. Didn't compare with TSportline but did compare with others and for some reason I got a better response from leatherseats.com. No affiliation, just reporting what happened. They answered all my questions promptly and didn't balk at sending me multiple color samples like some others did. Hope this helps.

Cost was around 2600, this included buying the seat covers and the installation. Didn't compare with TSportline but did compare with others and for some reason I got a better response from leatherseats.com. No affiliation, just reporting what happened. They answered all my questions promptly and didn't balk at sending me multiple color samples like some others did. Hope this helps.
Very much, thanks!

So $2600 for the leather and you basically remove the vegan and replace it with the leather?

Yes. Leatherseats charges about $1100 per seat. Then about $400 to install 2 seats. I am waiting for pricing from Katzkin for comparison. I've had Katzkin on a WRX and I was very happy with it.

Yes. Leatherseats charges about $1100 per seat. Then about $400 to install 2 seats. I am waiting for pricing from Katzkin for comparison. I've had Katzkin on a WRX and I was very happy with it.
Katzkin seemed to have the same quality of product. They would only send me one color sample and really didn't have any good feedback of the questions that I had. Maybe it was the sales person that I got that day. Don't know.