Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Ambient Lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to search for this but couldn't find anyone who had done it so throwing it out there.

Long story short - have a P85 with low miles that I am unloading or trading in to get the D. Have the premier interior lighting package (paid $1K for it) and really like the door LED strips (really should be standard but oh well). When configuring the car, was disappointed to see they are now bundled with the $4500 interior package - not worth it imho.

That said, was wondering if anyone has installed any aftermarket ambient lighting - especially for their doors. Saw someone that tapped into the ambient lighting circuit to get power for aftermarket footwell lighting but that's pretty much it. Found a kit online that is wirelss but don't like that it has to be charged (USB) and is not in sync to the headlights. The door sill lights look cool though. I'm sure there are other options that can tap into some fuse that syncs with the headlights but not sure if anyone has tried. Sure would be a lot more cost effective than the $4500 option. Here is the link to the kit - http://www.osram.com/osram_com/news...-to-needs/ambient-lighting-with-led/index.jsp

Anyone? :smile: Thanks much!

I would think you could tap the headlights like artsci did for the front lit emblem
check here?
http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-lighted-t-installation-instructions/#headlights

maybe you could use this method and run wires into the car through the gasket under the fuse box area then into the doors or wherever you want ambient lights. hardest part might be getting the wire into the bundle to the door but I know it has been done by some people around here.
You might be able to use mulit-color led w/ a controller if you wanted to get fancy

I have been looking a bit into it, and my conclusion is that the cables in the doors are there, but without any power.
The thing with ambient lightning is that you properly want to be able to shut it off, and I don't like to install a switch for it.
My best advice would be to trail the wires back into the car and find out where they end, if they end blind you could put power on them.