Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After purchase when can I start using the Tesla charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should get
- a mobile/universal charger you can plug into a 3 pin plug
- a type 2 cable for public chargers (probably blue with one end that fits into the car, the other looks like the inverse of it)
- as it’s a 2020 MX you should also get a CCS adapter. This is about 20cm long and converts the charge port for taking the CCS plug which is bigger. Make sure you get this one as it’s essential going forward for supercharging in all but the earliest superchargers.
Thanks George. Will make a note

Will the Tesla plug directly into my wall charger at home??

Last edited by a moderator:
On the assumption you can't use superchargers for this trip, on 'A Better Route Planner' don't put your car down as a Tesla or else it will direct you to superchargers. Pick anything else, perhaps with a similar range so it will direct you to suitable non-Tesla chargers.

Thanks George. Will make a note

Assuming its a type 2 wall charger (which all but fairly old ones will be) then it should without a problem.

If you don't get the CCS adaptor, you won't be able to charge at any 3rd party rapids, so I'd actually ring ahead to make sure its included. Some ex owners think it's clever to not include it when they sell the car and try and flog them on eBay, but the car needs a hardware modification to work (which was done as standard on a 2020 car) and came with plug convertor, so the only people whi might want to buy it are those who have lost theirs.

Anyway.. it looks like this

s-l1600.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
Assuming its a type 2 wall charger (which all but fairly old ones will be) then it should without a problem.

If you don't get the CCS adaptor, you won't be able to charge at any 3rd party rapids, so I'd actually ring ahead to make sure its included. Some ex owners think it's clever to not include it when they sell the car and try and flog them on eBay, but the car needs a hardware modification to work (which was done as standard on a 2020 car) and came with plug convertor, so the only people whi might want to buy it are those who have lost theirs.

View attachment 1017334
The seller just replied advising the car comes with both cables and the adaptor. Thanks again for your help.

View attachment 1017334
It’s an OHME charger bought in the last 2 years so hopefully should be fine

on 'A Better Route Planner' don't put your car down as a Tesla or
Just used my vehicle which is a Y RWD to calculate, see the below link from ABRP. Other options available if you just play around with your car model and look for 3rd party chargers.

Thanks. I have a 7kwh charger at home. Will I be able to plug the car directly into that. Feel a bit daft. I’ve been following the EV world for years and suddenly realise I’m useless when it comes to the various charging types!
If Tesla Superchargers are out, research your other charging options. By no means are all chargers created equal. Some chargers will take six hours, others 30 minutes. Besides plug types, how much power do they have? I’m no expert on 3rd party chargers, in SoCal you can’t throw a rock without hitting a Supercharger, hope those local to you can help out.

Does the car come with a Mobile Charger? Might be handy as a last resort.

Good luck, let us know how the drive works out.

ABRP allows you to specify/exclude Tesla superchargers, for non-tesla rapids select CCS
Lots of options to play with so plan it out comfortably by setting your starting charge level lower than expected.
You're going a fair distance but well served by the motorway network of rapid chargers

If it has a captive cable then "yes" (if not then you will need the appropriate cable to connect wall-charger and car - I've never used a 7kW wall charger which did not have captive cable, so I don't know what would be needed in that case)

If you get home and for some reason it doesn't work (e.g. you are the first car to attempt to connect and Sparky has got it wrong :( ) then the 13AMP UMC (which you said dealer says is included with the car) will do.

Assuming your consumption averages 3 miles per kWh

13AMP charges at about 7 MPH
7kW at about 20 MPH

If it has a captive cable then "yes" (if not then you will need the appropriate cable to connect wall-charger and car - I've never used a 7kW wall charger which did not have captive cable, so I don't know what would be needed in that case)

You use your supplied Type 2 cable as per any other AC public charger... they all use the same socket.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
If Tesla Superchargers are out, research your other charging options. By no means are all chargers created equal. Some chargers will take six hours, others 30 minutes. Besides plug types, how much power do they have? I’m no expert on 3rd party chargers, in SoCal you can’t throw a rock without hitting a Supercharger, hope those local to you can help out.

Does the car come with a Mobile Charger? Might be handy as a last resort.

Good luck, let us know how the drive works out.

Will do. 👍

If you get home and for some reason it doesn't work (e.g. you are the first car to attempt to connect and Sparky has got it wrong :( ) then the 13AMP UMC (which you said dealer says is included with the car) will do.

Assuming your consumption averages 3 miles per kWh

13AMP charges at about 7 MPH
7kW at about 20 MPH
I’m not sure what a captive cable is. It’s an Ohme charger I got a couple of years ago. The cable is a tethered type 2. Works fine with the sorento PHEV. Hopefully it’ll be fine with the Tesla 🤞

Just used my vehicle which is a Y RWD to calculate, see the below link from ABRP. Other options available if you just play around with your car model and look for 3rd party chargers.

Cheers. Plugged my route into ABRP and it looks there are plenty of non Tesla options 👍