Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After purchase when can I start using the Tesla charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up a Tesla next weekend. I have a pretty long drive back and was hoping I’d be able to use the Tesla network rather than rely on the public network. If the car is transferred to me on Sunday and I update card details etc will I be able to use the network that day? ** it’s a used car

Last edited:
Picking up a Tesla next weekend. I have a pretty long drive back and was hoping I’d be able to use the Tesla network rather than rely on the public network. If the car is transferred to me on Sunday and I update card details etc will I be able to use the network that day?
As long as they have your credit card on file that cross references with your vin, it should work.

Picking up a Tesla next weekend. I have a pretty long drive back and was hoping I’d be able to use the Tesla network rather than rely on the public network. If the car is transferred to me on Sunday and I update card details etc will I be able to use the network that day?
I used mine straight after picking up at Trafford Park, Manchester. Came with less than 50% charge and they give you 100 free supercharger miles because they are not allowed to ship with more than a 50% charge.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
The transfer to your account can be done by the seller if it’s on their account, you can then add your credit card details The video shows the fairly easy steps to transfer, it takes only minutes.

If they can’t you’ll need to apply to Tesla which requires various paperwork and can either be really quick or take a while depending on whether they’re requiring the updated V5 for the car, but irrespective, unless the current owner has an unpaid charging session you’re be allowed at least one before they block charging until the debts been cleared.

Reactions: HenryT
The transfer to your account can be done by the seller if it’s on their account, you can then add your credit card details The video shows the fairly easy steps to transfer, it takes only minutes.

If they can’t you’ll need to apply to Tesla which requires various paperwork and can either be really quick or take a while depending on whether they’re requiring the updated V5 for the car, but irrespective, unless the current owner has an unpaid charging session you’re be allowed at least one before they block charging until the debts been cleared.
Great, many thanks 👍

Assuming it is blocked, for some reason, could you use "3rd party charging Tesla sites / APP" - i.e. if driving a Tesla?

Would limit the Superchargers (which are open-to-all) a bit ... but.

If you’re lucky, the previous owner didn’t deactivate their credit card and it will work fine.

Could do a deal with them? - they will understand the problem, and if you reimburse them maybe they'll be OK with that.

If you are buying from a dealer, rather than the previous owner, that may not be an option.

Assuming it is blocked, for some reason, could you use "3rd party charging Tesla sites / APP" - i.e. if driving a Tesla?

Would limit the Superchargers (which are open-to-all) a bit ... but.

Could do a deal with them? - they will understand the problem, and if you reimburse them maybe they'll be OK with that.

If you are buying from a dealer, rather than the previous owner, that may not be an option.
It’s from a dealer

Reactions: WannabeOwner
have a pretty long drive back and was hoping I’d be able to use the Tesla network
How long is the drive? is the car LR or RWD?
If anything around 250 miles LR can do without charging. You can check with the dealer whether they can charge to 100% and if you can manage without charging that would be great for day 1.

But as others suggested if you mention where from and where to forum members can help you to find the appropriate v4 chargers where you can pay by card. Or use Zapmap or another app to find the 3rd party chargers that can be used to charge using credit cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: sam481
Been there, done (not) that.

Unless the owner/seller can transfer the car to you in the app on the day you are locked out of Tesla superchargers for a while.
Tesla will transfer the car to you but you need the FULL V5 in your name. The team responsible only work weekdays and when I did it last year, took 4 days to respond to every request. V5 new buyer slip = rejection. V5 only = rejection. They required photos of every page of the V5.
If you attempt to charge at a Tesla supercharger it will fail, even if you attempt to follow the non-tesla owner method at a suitable site (presumably because it tries to charge the previous owner account automatically, and can't). Note I tried this only on V3 chargers (4x of them across 3 sites!) that were open to non-tesla drivers via app.

Strongly suggest you plan on using other charging networks like gridserve, ionity etc

Also worth asking the dealer to make sure it's charged to 100% before you collect it - most dealers regularly selling EVs seem to have 7kw home/destination chargers now. This increases your options for first required stop, if you definitely can't get home on a single charge.

I'd also recommended plugging your details in to A Better Route Planner to both see how far you can get and what charging options are available en route

• Informative
Tesla have accepted (but it seems to at the whim of the person looking at it) the V5 transfer slip. Most dealers do all this on line so ask for a copy/screenshot of the transfer request and confirmation, it might speed things up. A receipt detailing the reg and importantly the VIN is also worth getting and sharing with Tesla, but they may just push back )Neil they have the V5c

Thanks for the above replies. Much appreciated. Last question - it’s a model X. Can you advise what charger cables / adaptors I should get with the car. It’s a LR plus dec 2020. Should probably know this but not sure what adaptors I need for the public network.

Last edited:
Thanks for the above replies. Much appreciated. Last question - it’s a model X. Can you advise what charger cables / adaptors I should get with the car. It’s a LR plus dec 2020. Should probably know this but not sure what adaptors I need for the public network.
There should be 2.

One is a type 2 charger cable which has a similar plug at each end, although one end is slightly bigger than the other. For use at 7kW type public or home chargers without a cable. The other is an AC charger (likely in a square case) which allows you to plug into a 3 pin socket. May include other adapters for caravan sites etc.

How long is the drive? is the car LR or RWD?
If anything around 250 miles LR can do without charging. You can check with the dealer whether they can charge to 100% and if you can manage without charging that would be great for day 1.

But as others suggested if you mention where from and where to forum members can help you to find the appropriate v4 chargers where you can pay by card. Or use Zapmap or another app to find the 3rd party chargers that can be used to charge using credit cards.
I’m travelling from Dunstable to Glasgow.

You should get
- a mobile/universal charger you can plug into a 3 pin plug
- a type 2 cable for public chargers (probably blue with one end that fits into the car, the other looks like the inverse of it)
- as it’s a 2020 MX you should also get a CCS adapter. This is about 20cm long and converts the charge port for taking the CCS plug which is bigger. Make sure you get this one as it’s essential going forward for supercharging in all but the earliest superchargers.

• Informative
There should be 2.

One is a type 2 charger cable which has a similar plug at each end, although one end is slightly bigger than the other. For use at 7kW type public or home chargers without a cable. The other is an AC charger (likely in a square case) which allows you to plug into a 3 pin socket. May include other adapters for caravan sites etc.
Thanks. I have a 7kwh charger at home. Will I be able to plug the car directly into that. Feel a bit daft. I’ve been following the EV world for years and suddenly realise I’m useless when it comes to the various charging types!