Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Buy X Plaid now…or wait?

Should I place an order for a Model X in December?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 44 update almost completely removes the vibration for me. I can only feel a minor vibration 45mph now.

Why does the Plaid do this? My guess is this:
That's a good thought. Delving through some engineering literature that goes well above my head, seems like skewing the rotors lots is a popular way to reduce the so-called "cogging torque" since it's easy, cheap, and effective. But comes at a cost of reducing motor torque. Seems like there are several software control strategies that can also be quite effective, which is what I'm sure Tesla was going for. I suppose 2023.44 refined whatever algorithm they're using.

Too bad it took nearly 3 years for them to address the issue though, let alone comment on it.

Ok, 2023.44.1 was pushed to my MXP yesterday and here's my assessment with regards to how it addressed the vibrations in my vehicle.

Initial vibration after sitting for some time: 75% eliminated
38-52mph vibration: 90% eliminated
80mph vibration: 80% eliminated

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from the update but I'm happy as it's a drastic improvement to the driving dynamics. Hopefully, Tesla will continue to tweak but I'm very satisfied and driving is now much more pleasurable.

Last edited:
Ok, 2023.44.1 was pushed to my MXP yesterday and here's my assessment with regards to how it addressed the vibrations in my vehicle.

Initial vibration after sitting for some time: 75% eliminated
38-52mph vibration: 90% eliminated
80mph vibration: 80% eliminated

Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from the update but I'm happy as it's a drastic improvement to the driving dynamics. Hopefully, Tesla will continue to tweak but I'm very satisfied and driving is now much more pleasurable.
That’s great to hear!

Reactions: theslimshadyist
I’m in the market for a Model X Plaid and debating when to purchase based on rumors, incentives, and time to build. If you knew you were going to get the car in Q1 of 2024 at the latest…would you place your order now or wait until after the Q4 rush?

Reasons not to:
- Possibility of getting tied to a 2023
- Possibility of a new incentive (like $250 off or free supercharging) coming back to start the year.
- Rumors of a refresh with ambient lighting and other X upgrades.
Would you consider buying a used Plaid 2021 or 2022 hovering around 80k low miles?
The other reasons not to I'm not sure of but in regards to the ambient lighting its so easy to just add yourself if you can find a local company to do it. There's a place about 40 mins away from me that offer Ambient lighting for around 700 bucks all throughout the car and you have access to tons of colors. They also have this like rainbow setting called flow for like $900 along with all the other stuff it is FIRE.

Would you consider buying a used Plaid 2021 or 2022 hovering around 80k low miles?
The other reasons not to I'm not sure of but in regards to the ambient lighting its so easy to just add yourself if you can find a local company to do it. There's a place about 40 mins away from me that offer Ambient lighting for around 700 bucks all throughout the car and you have access to tons of colors. They also have this like rainbow setting called flow for like $900 along with all the other stuff it is FIRE.
Likely not that many miles. I'd want one that's 2022 or 2023 and when you look at the used market they are holding their value. I'd only save $10K or so and it would be smarter for peace of mind to just go with a new one directly from Tesla with a warranty.

Likely not that many miles. I'd want one that's 2022 or 2023 and when you look at the used market they are holding their value. I'd only save $10K or so and it would be smarter for peace of mind to just go with a new one directly from Tesla with a warranty.
I meant the price was hovering around 80k my bad. Miles you'll probably see them around the 10-20k mark. But yeah you'd be safer buying new since people launch these cars nonstop. The warranty used would sitll be intact but a newer one would be warrantied for longer.