Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same here. It is likely a must for anyone who owned a car with adaptive cruise and tried it. Once youve used acc you will want it on all future cars.

I have driven my Model "S" P85 since May 2013 and love the car without ACC. This is due to also owning a Lexus LS600HL which has the ACC braking control that will bring the car to a complete stop. The driver should be alert at all times when driving and not assuming the ACC will control braking needs. also, it is very annoying when a vehicle cuts directly in front of your car. Each to his own, but no ACC for me

They are looking for a radar engineer so something is being developed

Advance Driver Assistance Systems - Lead Radar Engineer
Lead Radar - Hardware Engineer

The Role
Tesla Motors is seeking a Radar Hardware Engineer who has 3-10 years of design and release responsibility on sensors (Radar, Cameras, Lidar, and Ultrasound)/active safety systems. This engineer will be responsible for translating Tesla’s autopilot roadmap into active safety features and into requirements. The engineer will actively drive the features into production and evaluate future technologies.
Responsibilities
· Strong expertise in Radar sensing and radar development
· Experience in designing next-generation radar hardware, including PCBA and , Antenna design
· Experience in RF/IF design for Radar systems
· Good knowledge in latest technologies and trends
· Experience in algorithm development for sensor signal processing and sensor fusion
· Experience in developing system verification and vehicle testing procedures for radar systems
· Experience in packaging, calibration and tuning of radar systems
· Experience in executing project from start to finish across multiple disciplines
· Knowledge in system integration of sensors and control hardware
· Knowledge in design of electronics, DSP algorithms and automotive communication networks
· Ability to perform simulations (Simulink/Matlab) with support from other experts
· Engineer should define Hardware interfaces and state machines.

I have driven my Model "S" P85 since May 2013 and love the car without ACC. This is due to also owning a Lexus LS600HL which has the ACC braking control that will bring the car to a complete stop. The driver should be alert at all times when driving and not assuming the ACC will control braking needs. also, it is very annoying when a vehicle cuts directly in front of your car. Each to his own, but no ACC for me
Agree.

In my 2007 Infiniti M35 the ACC was incredible, I couldn't believe how well they designed it to match all the possibilities and make it really useful, slowing down and speeding up as needed with normal traffic flow (I never trusted it in heavy traffic - made me too nervous). It was great except for one really really annoying thing: when it locked on to cars that then pulled into a left- or right-turn lane and were significantly slowing down out of the normal 80-100kph road speeds, it would (sometimes) suddenly slam on the M35's brakes because it thought a collision was imminent. This was on the #3 setting (farthest away, not tailgating). This one thing, along with its unpredictability, so annoyed me (and my wife) that we actually rarely used it.

And it has coloured my opinion of ACC for the future, too. So I like the Model S's cruise control the way it is (except the forward/back is backwards!! :) )

I have never had a car with ACC but what Arthur describes is what I have always assumed would be the negatives of such a system.

Sure it sounds good in theory but in reality there are just too many bad drivers who cut in front of you when you are simply maintaining a safe following distance. Suddenly you have an unsafe following distance and you have to slow down but wait...there's a bad driver behind you tailgating! Does the ACC know you are being tailgated? I don't think so. So now you are in a box and all you can do is hope to get out of that lane and away from the idiots.

Over half the drivers I see on the road every day do not maintain a safe distance in front of them. They have no concept of reaction time and braking distances. They seem to think that ABS and air bags will save them.

I do not want ACC. I prefer to focus on the road and make my own decisions. And the beauty of Model S one-pedal driving is that I can react more rapidly and slow down more quickly than in an ICE.

@ecarfan

A well designed ACC should consider all parameters (single pedal drive, car behind you and so on). If somebody had problems with ACC in the past it's not fault of the ACC in itself, but of the fact that the ACC was not well designed. IMO in the case of the Model S having single pedal drive the ACC could be very well designed and integrated with the pedestrians and obstacles detection system giving the assistant driving package as a result of such integration that would guarantee very high standards of safety.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the ACC know you are being tailgated? I don't think so.

Don't agree. IMO the answer to this question is yes if the ACC is well designed.

I have never had a car with ACC but what Arthur describes is what I have always assumed would be the negatives of such a system.

Sure it sounds good in theory but in reality there are just too many bad drivers who cut in front of you when you are simply maintaining a safe following distance. Suddenly you have an unsafe following distance and you have to slow down but wait...there's a bad driver behind you tailgating! Does the ACC know you are being tailgated? I don't think so. So now you are in a box and all you can do is hope to get out of that lane and away from the idiots.

Over half the drivers I see on the road every day do not maintain a safe distance in front of them. They have no concept of reaction time and braking distances. They seem to think that ABS and air bags will save them.

I do not want ACC. I prefer to focus on the road and make my own decisions. And the beauty of Model S one-pedal driving is that I can react more rapidly and slow down more quickly than in an ICE.

If you don't want ACC your arrogance makes you a danger to other road users. ACC can react much faster and in a much more controlled manner than any human.

If you have a close tailgater and your car doesn't incorporate rear radar in the ACC you simply turn it off.

If you don't want ACC your arrogance makes you a danger to other road users.
Arrogance? IMO the if...then clause might be a bit simplified and overstated, perhaps.

... ACC can react much faster and in a much more controlled manner than any human...
Yes, I take your point, assuming the ACC is correctly interpreting what is happening, which (in my lone M35 experience) it usually did very well.

If you don't want ACC your arrogance makes you a danger to other road users. ACC can react much faster and in a much more controlled manner than any human.

Yes, I'm such an arrogant and dangerous driver because I am in the minority of drivers who try to maintain a proper following distance while at the same time keeping a safe interval behind me.

Only a tiny percentage of cars currently on the road have ACC. Are all those non-ACC drivers also arrogant and dangerous?

We are many decades away from all cars having features like ACC and other collision avoidance features. In the meantime we need more drivers who drive safely using their brains and not relying on the car to save them when they drive stupidly.

Yes, I'm such an arrogant and dangerous driver because I am in the minority of drivers who try to maintain a proper following distance while at the same time keeping a safe interval behind me.

Only a tiny percentage of cars currently on the road have ACC. Are all those non-ACC drivers also arrogant and dangerous?

We are many decades away from all cars having features like ACC and other collision avoidance features. In the meantime we need more drivers who drive safely using their brains and not relying on the car to save them when they drive stupidly.

If you said you didn't want ACC because it's expensive I can put it down to pragmatism. When you say you wouldn't benefit from it, I put it down to arrogance. ACC, and especially CACC, can help reduce accidents by allowing a car to react quickly and accurately to the actions of the car in front. ACC systems can see changes that humans can't even recognize.

If you said you didn't want ACC because it's expensive I can put it down to pragmatism. When you say you wouldn't benefit from it, I put it down to arrogance. ACC, and especially CACC, can help reduce accidents by allowing a car to react quickly and accurately to the actions of the car in front. ACC systems can see changes that humans can't even recognize.

Please stop calling people arrogant if they don't want a car feature you determine is important. It doesn't help move dialog forward.