Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic cruise cobtrol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is happened to me multiple times where I’m driving on the highway and the car is telling me it does not have good enough viewing so it will not let me use auto pilot or adaptive cruise control. Is there a way to just use basic cruise control like on cars 50 years ago. Reason it’s frustrating is today I was driving and it was not bad out at all. It was just nighttime. And it took almost to the sun came up before it allowed me to use just basic cruise control. Very frustrating or maybe it’s user error

Reactions: Jane4
Perhaps this is too simplistic, but is it possible your window was dirty or the camera not right. I know the car cleans my window when I use Autopiliot. I don’t think you can go back to the good old days as far as cruise - the hardware simply is not there. In some ways it’s frustrating, stuff that worked has been changed, and not always for the better, at least on the short term. Assuming your car is working ok, just be patient, it’s all part of being an early adopter.

Reactions: fholbert and Jane4
Did you try going into the settings and turning off “TACC” (traffic aware cruise control).

Tap the car icon in the lower left. Then autopilot in the list on the left of the menu that popped up and the option for TACC should be there.

As for the cameras… I noticed that when they prepped for car for me to receive it, they missed one protective film covering the pillar camera. I noticed it and decided to leave it on it anyway. That led to messages constantly popping up and stuff about it not being able to see out of that camera. When I got mobile service to come install home link, they removed it. You can check for those.

If the inside of the windshield, where the camera is, isn’t clear you can try cleaning it with window cleaner. Getting the plastic off the clean it is a bit of a choir though. This is a recent thread about it:
Any idea how to clean this glass inside the autopilot camera area? This appeared after tint job…

Finally, it could be an issue with hardware… you might want to actually have it checked out with a service request, there could be underlying issues too.

Last edited:
Yeah I turned off autopilot but I think you need one of the two selected. I ran wipers to no avail. I’m thinking something is wrong. My headlight point straight down.

I have driven on highways and night with no problem so not sure why it’s been an issue lately. Just very inconvenient because it’s such a basic feature to have cruise control. That’s all I need.

Oh, I just noticed that I was wrong. They changed the options. Before there was an actual option to switch between CC and TACC. I did use CC for a bit, but TACC works better for most conditions for me.

Did you try adjusting your headlights? Or do they aim down after attempting to adjust them? You probably need to do a service request.

Reactions: Jane4 and bhigh8
will not let me use auto pilot or adaptive cruise control
Tesla Basic Autopilot (AP) consists of two features: Autosteer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC). From the Model Y manual:
1000027028.jpg

So your statement should be "it won't let me use Autosteer or TACC". Anyway, Tesla does not have the dumb cruise control we all grew up with.

Oh, I just noticed that I was wrong. They changed the options. Before there was an actual option to switch between CC and TACC. I did use CC for a bit, but TACC works better for most conditions for me.

Did you try adjusting your headlights? Or do they aim down after attempting to adjust them? You probably need to do a service request.
I would love to have basic CC back.

In CA we have slower speeds for trucks on highways, and the car always adjusts down upon passing those signs. It’sa frequent annoyance and I haven’t found a way to mitigate it as of yet.

I would love to have basic CC back.

In CA we have slower speeds for trucks on highways, and the car always adjusts down upon passing those signs. It’sa frequent annoyance and I haven’t found a way to mitigate it as of yet.
You can change TACC to set at your current speed instead of speed limit. That would act more like basic cruise control. That's what I use because I don't like going 75 mph automatically just because the sign says so. With this setting, your cruise control will set at the speed you're going when you activate cruise. You can then use the wheel to go up and down in speed. It does not have "resume" like older cruise control though.

Reactions: zoomer0056
You can change TACC to set at your current speed instead of speed limit. That would act more like basic cruise control. That's what I use because I don't like going 75 mph automatically just because the sign says so. With this setting, your cruise control will set at the speed you're going when you activate cruise. You can then use the wheel to go up and down in speed. It does not have "resume" like older cruise control though.
Yes, that is what I’m doing. I accelerate the car to a given speed, say 70 mph. Then I pass a truck speed sign that says 55, and the car auto adjusts down. Then I sped back up, reset the value, and repeat this process with each sign I pass.

Or did I misunderstand the method you are describing?

Somewhat related: I'm happy with TACC. It works fine for me. But one oddity: sometimes it adjusts the speed when I pass a speed limit sign. Sometimes it doesn't. How can I get it to always adjust the speed, so I know I can trust it?

(Similar to the door locks. Sometimes they lock when I walk away, sometimes they don't. When they don't, sometimes it sends a text, sometimes it doesn't. Consistent behavior would be nice ...)