Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise Control Car length setting annoyance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently my car length setting in cruise control changed. This was no doubt due to pilot error ;). However, when I looked at the autopilot settings, the ability to set the car length was no longer available. A timely you tube video told me how I could change it. My annoyance is that you have to be in cruise control AND be closely following another vehicle in order to use the scroll wheel to change it. In addition, half the time, the car thinks I am doing a command instead of the adjustment. Now, I really don't need to have such a fussy way to do this adjustment. The ability to do this in settings should be re-established.

I change the following distance by tilting the right scroll wheel left or right. I think you have to be in cruise control to that, but you don't need to be closely following another vehicle. It always remembers what I set it to, so I've never even thought of looking for an option in settings.

I change the following distance by tilting the right scroll wheel left or right. I think you have to be in cruise control to that, but you don't need to be closely following another vehicle. It always remembers what I set it to, so I've never even thought of looking for an option in settings.
X2

and I'm nearly positive that you can set the distance without AP being engaged.