Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, you are very, very tolerant. Us? Not so much so.

We're on our 6th and 7th Model S's and we are sick and tired of "work arounds" like yours to try to make the AC NVH acceptable.

At his price point, let alone even in a Toyota Camry, THIS LEVEL OF NOISE AND VIBRATION IS NOT acceptable.

Please, next time you take it in for service, COMPLAIN about this because if we ALL do this, maybe, just maybe, Tesla will fix it.

Thanks!

I certainly understand your annoyance with it and so far, it has been the only part of the Tesla experience I have not enjoyed. It sounds like an engine running under the hood, so yes I will question it during my next visit to Tesla service.

No so! Now that my S is so loud that I cannot sell it. I have made the effort to ride in other electric vehicles. Volt is absolutely silent when running on batteries and with AC on full. Three different Prius have also been silent when running on batteries only. WTF?!?!

Haven't read everything but the AC should be loud only when it starts and reaches the temperature (especially if it's very warm outside). Once it reaches the desired temperature, the jet noise should settle down and AC should make almost no noise.

I have been chasing a fan noise that occurs when the vehicle is not moving, and the fan speed is turned DOWN to the 2-3 range. It sounds like a blade-shroud contact. It does not seem to occur at higher fan speed or while moving. I believe this is the HVAC fan and not the compressor nor the fans on the condenser. (not the high pitched 'jet' noise that exists when the system is on maximum cooling).

I don't have any other problems at the moment, so I hate to have the SC tear apart my car to address it...

I also have these symptoms but they are very intermittent. I think I'm hearing the blades of the fan hitting leaves or things like that. The noise always seems to happen in autumn - maybe small debris are getting in somehow. Let me know what the SC says about it.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
No so! Now that my S is so loud that I cannot sell it. I have made the effort to ride in other electric vehicles. Volt is absolutely silent when running on batteries and with AC on full. Three different Prius have also been silent when running on batteries only. WTF?!?!

If you say so... I also have a Volt and I can assure you my AC is not "absolutely silent" when it's running on batteries, or really anytime for that matter...

Jeff

I also have these symptoms but they are very intermittent. I think I'm hearing the blades of the fan hitting leaves or things like that. The noise always seems to happen in autumn - maybe small debris are getting in somehow. Let me know what the SC says about it.

Does it sound like this?

In my case it was caused by a label on the inside of the fan cowl to come unglued. it was flapping in the fan blades. I took off the splash shield and found it partly detached.

Haven't read everything but the AC should be loud only when it starts and reaches the temperature (especially if it's very warm outside). Once it reaches the desired temperature, the jet noise should settle down and AC should make almost no noise.
Yes, very loud when starting up. But noise no longer goes away. At 70 mph, there is a steady drumming of the cabin that is annoying and fatiguing. Hit the OFF button, cabin goes silent. Something went terribly wrong when the 12 volt battery was changed out, making a bad situation even worse.

PIcked my car up at the SC the other day and it had been sitting in the Texas (fall!) sun for 90 mins or so. When I got in it I got the load noise and the steering wheel vibration. That never happened on my P90D, under any condition. I had the head tech sit in the car with me and feel the vibration. He separated some hoses and all was good!

9/30/2016 MS-75
Very loud compressor and poor cooling this summer.
Recent battery usage is way up also,

A recent FW update to 2018.26.3 brought a big improvement to all 3 problems - but then they rolled it back today (26.2 less than 24 hours later) and back to the same problems. Waits for SC appointments are long. Lexus just didn't have all these problems (I know the technology isn't in the same class but the dependability was superb).

9/30/2016 MS-75
Very loud compressor and poor cooling this summer.
Recent battery usage is way up also,

A recent FW update to 2018.26.3 brought a big improvement to all 3 problems - but then they rolled it back today (26.2 less than 24 hours later) and back to the same problems. Waits for SC appointments are long. Lexus just didn't have all these problems (I know the technology isn't in the same class but the dependability was superb).

You could try checking with different service centers and see if there are shorter wait times at any of them? Otherwise just get your name in. I think for a compressor they shouldn't need to keep it that long, you may be able to get an appointment sooner if you don't need a loaner. Personally if it's not going to be multiple days I prefer to Uber instead of messing with a loaner, especially if it's through Enterprise.

In the mean time you can try turning on Range mode. Your car won't get as cool as quickly, but it may mitigate some of the noisiest periods of operation. You can also get in the habit of starting to turn on climate control from the app a few minutes before you you leave.

Also as an aside, this summer I finally got around to getting heat-blocking tint on all windows, it really does seem to help how hard the A/C has to work. I think they used this stuff: 3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series | 3M United States