Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took my 2013 Model S P85 (50k miles) in due to some AC issues. The AC was making weird sounds and wasn’t working all that great. The vehicle is obviously out of warranty. Initially the estimate came back with a receiver and dryer cap replacement, desiccant bag replacement, high pressure charge port replacement, two coolant pump replacements, and 1 suction air conditioning line assembly with TXV valve replacement, and one AC compressor ($1100) for a total of 3800.

After agreeing to the repair. The service team came back with 2 more additional AC compressors for $1100 each to bring the bill to 6,100. Is this normal? I’m confused as to why there is a need for 3 AC compressor replacements.

If anyone has ran into this issue or could provide any guidance, I would greatly appreciate it. This has become a costly repair.

Reactions: beachmiles
But…but…but…Teslas are maintenance free!

Guidance is, you own an expensive vehicle out of warranty. This is probably one of the *least* costly repairs you will be looking at. Sell the vehicle immediately if you aren’t comfortable with a $10-20K battery or drivetrain replacement in your future.

There is only one compressor in your vehicle. And they have switched manufacturers over the years. Is it possible what you are looking at is an *estimate* rather than the final bill?

No, it is not normal. Your vehicle only has one. If they installed two defective compressors, and it took a third to get a good one, that is all on them. (The first one you paid for comes with a 1-year/12k mile warranty.)

Can you share your invoice, or estimate? I suspect they might be overcharging you for labor as well. It is likely the same as someone else posted elsewhere, and here was my response:

I could be wrong, but it looks like they built that quote as all independent operations, with each one requiring the draining and refilling of the refrigerant. There should be a combined full system service that is priced much lower than that.

The "A/C Refrigerant Flush Due To Compressor Failure (Dual Motor) (NA)" procedure appears to be that and is almost 4 hours, as it covers replacing a bunch of stuff that they are quoting separately as well:

View attachment 965825

Parts pricing wouldn't change, but I think the labor costs should drop by about $1,700. (Essentially it looks like they are charging for the same labor two, or more, times to me.)

edit: @el ahrairah From the service manual:
View attachment 965833
So they need to remove the following labor items, as they are all contained in the "A/C Refrigerant Flush Due To Compressor Failure (Dual Motor) (NA)" procedure:
  • A/C Compressor (Dual Motor)(Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace: $483.60
  • Receiver Dryer and Desiccant(Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace: $425.70
  • TXV Valve Evaporator (Remove& Replace) - Remove and Replace: $580.50
  • Battery Chiller and EXVAssembly (Remove & Replace) - Remove and Replace: $322.50
So $1,812.30 of labor should come off of that estimate. (At least as far as I can tell.)

Disregard. The service company advised it was a mistake and that they were attempting to order more compressors and it changed estimate. Ultimately it is still going to be a 3800 dollar charge for the AC replacement which still sucks. I know plenty of people on here have ran into the same issue. Thanks for the responses you guys gave.

Bought this car because it’s an OG and I wanted to see how long I could keep it going especially by taking good care of it. Didn’t realize how many times I would need to bring it into the repair shop for countless repairs. It’s kind of been a money pit over the past 5 years. May need to move away from Tesla on my next car purchase.

Reactions: Gumball and mongo
Here is the original quote and pricing for the AC fix. Figured this might help someon else out in the future.

Thanks again for the responses

Attachments

• IMG_2972.png
    IMG_2972.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2973.png
    IMG_2973.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 163
Ultimately it is still going to be a 3800 dollar charge for the AC replacement which still sucks.
Again, they are likely overcharging you by about $1,800 by charging duplicate labor. They should likely be using a larger "flush" procedure that covers what they are doing but doesn't charge for the same labor multiple times.

Likely one of these two:
1692715643244.png

I would also argue about the same amount of labor taken for the two identical coolant pumps sitting next to each other. That labor amount listed to get to and then to put the side parts back to is all same for individual work. If they already has taken the frunk open then why to charge twice?

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and MP3Mike
Unfortunately it's a 10 year old, high dollar, car with completely new parts and systems. Ever see a repair bill for a 10-year-old Mercedes S class or BMW 7 series? There is a reason those cars depreciate like stones sinking into a lake, it's the high cost of parts and labor when things break. And the older the vehicles get the more things break.

The only hack I know of is to get a Honda, Toyota or equivalent that has been engineered for reliability and long service life while also being rather easy to work on. Camry or Accord is your answer and preferably with no options.

Ever see a repair bill for a 10-year-old Mercedes S class or BMW 7 series? There is a reason those cars depreciate like stones sinking into a lake, it's the high cost of parts and labor when things break. And the older the vehicles get the more things break.

I can tell you stories about my 2006 Mercedes SL65 AMG from way back when... if it wasn't the water pump, then it was the hardtop convertible roof, then it was electrical gremlins, and so on... it was a blast to own but a chore to maintain. when it broke, it would make any car enthusiast cry. Loved it to death though, a love/hate relationship.

I totally agree here. You play with expensive toys, be ready for expensive problems.