Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About that "yoke" steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fail to see what the issue is with the new steering wheel. How often do you people really use the top of your wheel? because even when parking and backing up or making hairpin turns i touch the top once like every 5k miles, i use the bottom and the sides pretty much always. Its unnecessary to have the top portion of the wheel there, so why not remove it to save costs?

This wouldn't "take it away" from someone else looking to buy one. If the car is rejected, it would most likely end up as another new inventory car for a different customer to snap up. Tesla already builds cars on spec in hopes of being able to match with custom orders, people looking for quick delivery, etc..

Lets face it these are now cookie cutter cars and there are only a few configurations so any order placed would go to someone else if I reject it. Configuration options are practically none verse the way the cars used to be sold. When I originally bought my Model S I choose the Sun Roof (No longer an option), I was able to select Trim Options (Now no longer offered as Trims are fixed on the seat color), Heated and Cooled Seats were options, Different seats were options, etc. I want a black interior but I don't like the wood trim I would have chosen carbon fiber or similar option but you need to spend $40k for Plaid to get a different trim. I prefer the days when you could customize your car but Tesla has done away with options and you are limited today.

My existing S90S is out of warranty and I need to replace it soon. So I dropped $100 to reserve the new one and if I don't like it when I can see it in person I will reject it and someone else will be matched to it.

This wouldn't "take it away" from someone else looking to buy one. If the car is rejected, it would most likely end up as another new inventory car for a different customer to snap up. Tesla already builds cars on spec in hopes of being able to match with custom orders, people looking for quick delivery, etc..

It definitely could take away from someone. If you and I order the same car but they deliver to you and it would take that same car another 1-3 weeks to reach me. But you had it delivered to your dealer - now it is at your dealer and I have to wait for another to arrive.

My point was more to this attitude of wasting people's time and money for something you know will most likely happen but do not want to happen. I will order a medium rare steak (that is "delicious" for you west coasters) but so help me God, if it comes red in the center I am sending it back (on the chance that they over cook it).

Wait for one to test drive and then order it.

Lets face it these are now cookie cutter cars and there are only a few configurations so any order placed would go to someone else if I reject it. Configuration options are practically none verse the way the cars used to be sold. When I originally bought my Model S I choose the Sun Roof (No longer an option), I was able to select Trim Options (Now no longer offered as Trims are fixed on the seat color), Heated and Cooled Seats were options, Different seats were options, etc. I want a black interior but I don't like the wood trim I would have chosen carbon fiber or similar option but you need to spend $40k for Plaid to get a different trim. I prefer the days when you could customize your car but Tesla has done away with options and you are limited today.
There were definitely more option choices years ago but on the positive side, streamlining the configuration choices has helped allow Tesla to reduce prices quite a bit. Four years ago, a P90D or P100D could easily run more than an MS Plaid or even Plaid+ today.

With the money you're "saving", you can take your car to an aftermarket shop and customize your own interior. :)

I fail to see what the issue is with the new steering wheel. How often do you people really use the top of your wheel? because even when parking and backing up or making hairpin turns i touch the top once like every 5k miles, i use the bottom and the sides pretty much always. Its unnecessary to have the top portion of the wheel there, so why not remove it to save costs?
99.9% of the time I use the top.

Reactions: danarcha and AMPd
It definitely could take away from someone. If you and I order the same car but they deliver to you and it would take that same car another 1-3 weeks to reach me. But you had it delivered to your dealer - now it is at your dealer and I have to wait for another to arrive.

My point was more to this attitude of wasting people's time and money for something you know will most likely happen but do not want to happen. I will order a medium rare steak (that is "delicious" for you west coasters) but so help me God, if it comes red in the center I am sending it back (on the chance that they over cook it).

Whether or not he rejects the car is not going to change someone else's ability to get one for themselves or the time it takes to do so. In fact, it could even speed up deliver time for a customer if the rejected car meets their order criteria. Tesla builds cars on spec all the time. His order would essentially end up being treated as another spec car to match to a custom order or quick delivery purchase.

As far as being a time waster, that's sometimes just the "cost" of doing business. Besides, if Tesla really cared about not wasting people's time, they'd focus more on quality control so fewer would have to reject cars due to cosmetic or other issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Jarvisd1015
99.9% of the time I use the top.

34146170.jpg

:)

Elon-Tweet.jpg

Still too many answers are still unknown. How to put the car in drive and reverse? Do I have to look out the back window so the car knows I want to go backwards? Removing all the stalks is really not smart. Just my opinion.

Maybe we can set D/R by pumping morse-code with the break pedal?

-** (D)
or
*-* (R)

Just have to get the timing just right.

Personally, I think a little side-switch on the yoke for override would have been prudent for the first release, basically with the same functionality as the old stalk but without Park.

Talking about park, I believe there is a law that you must have a secondary emergency breaking system in the car - in the old model S, this was activated by holding the P on the stalk. Wonder how it will be operated with the Yoke. Many questions without answers as you say.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Talking about park, I believe there is a law that you must have a secondary emergency breaking system in the car - in the old model S, this was activated by holding the P on the stalk. Wonder how it will be operated with the Yoke. Many questions without answers as you say.
Maybe the emergency brake could be activated by pressing and holding the hazard lights button?

Reactions: thebishop

Everyday.

I use the scroll wheels all the time (music, volume, autopilot speed) so my hands are close by.

I rarely use the top of my steering wheel. Turn it sharply and you'll probably be touching the bottom of the steering wheel. The bottom is still there for that reason.

I use the scroll wheels all the time (music, volume, autopilot speed) so my hands are close by.

I rarely use the top of my steering wheel. Turn it sharply and you'll probably be touching the bottom of the steering wheel. The bottom is still there for that reason.

Being that Tesla has a hidden normal steering wheel option on the configurator I would guess that it will show up shortly as an option. I don't even know if its legal to have a yoke steering wheel at this time.

NHTSA Has No Idea Whether Tesla's Half Steering Wheel Is Legal

2021 Tesla Model S Had A Secret Round Steering Option Hidden In The Configurator | Carscoops

Tesla-Model-S-round-wheel-02.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Robotpedlr