Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About that "yoke" steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as far as the horn..what's the benefit/advantage of no longer being able to depress the center/airbag, to activate the horn?

I imagine that Tesla was just keeping the theme of having all the functions as buttons. It probably saves a little money not to have a floating airbag that acts as a huge button.

My Lotus Esprit has thumb buttons for the horn instead of the airbag, and so does my Murcielago. Lots of cars have buttons for horns, especially during the early deployment of steering wheel airbags, so this point is not a big deal.

>>I don't think it is helpful to let people judge the handling and user interface of a car they haven't used, at all.<<

I've seen no-one list the ADVANTAGES of the yoke turn indicator buttons, horn, etc let alone the yoke itself. The turn buttons alone are bizarre when you have any real lock on the yoke. And how do you flash or dip the lights? The software on my S NEVER puts the lights up full unless I go manual every trip.
I hadn't thought about the inability to flash high beams. I do that frequently in order to let drivers (especially trucks) know that I see them signaling and it is safe to change lanes in front of me. If my car had the yoke, this courtesy would become impossible.

[cross-posted from another topic]

Motortrend - which is the most unbiased car magazine out there for Tesla - gave a thumbs down on yoke for everyday back road driving. I am seeing all the videos and I get the same impression - it is a pain in the neck..err hand. I am not really sure what problem it is solving. The adoption rate is going to take a good hit from main stream folks. They can sell a lot more with normal steering.

Now beyond the funny yoke and its clumsy maneuvering capabilities, the removal of stalks and having buttons for Autopilot & turn signals is a big downer. I was driving a Mercedes GLX 350 the other day and it's version of Autopilot needed two different buttons on the steering wheel to be engaged, and the whole thing was just plain horrible (the GLX lane keeping and smart cruise was really GOOD, I was impressed, just the controls were amateurish). I was thinking, wow Tesla got it right with a double flick of the stalk. Now with this change, they made it hard and clumsy.

But then I know I have been spectacularly wrong in a few other things Tesla did, that initially I thought was a dumb idea, but later turned out to be brilliant - like the removal of driver screen and having a single screen. I hated it when I saw the videos at the reveal, but LOVED it when I drove it later.

Lets us just say Jury is out on the yoke, and as of now it isn't looking pretty for Tesla.

What about "Full Self-Honking"

That's what dogs are for.
1624400807384.png

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
I hadn't thought about the inability to flash high beams. I do that frequently in order to let drivers (especially trucks) know that I see them signaling and it is safe to change lanes in front of me. If my car had the yoke, this courtesy would become impossible.

There's a high beam button on the yoke.

"Fully press on the high beam headlight button on the left side of the steering yoke to continuously turn on high beam headlights. To cancel,press on the button again. To briefly flash the high beam headlights, lightly touch, then release the button—high beam headlights are on when the button is pressed in and when you release, the high beam headlights either turn off or resume Auto High Beam behavior (if the setting is enabled)."

• Informative
Reactions: brucet999
The Joke "Yoke" is a deal breaker for me. Those that have tested the car have said it's annoying to use at lower speeds, exactly as I feared. I hated the Model 3 because it annoyed me to have to use the screen for EVERYTHING. Went back to the S because it was still more "driver friendly". Elon keeps building this cars with the intent of being driverless, yet, drivers are still needed and will be for years to come. When true FSD is a reality, then fine, but for now, too soon. The other deal breaker is the shifter now being on the screen. When making a 3 point turn and watching to make sure a car isn't coming at me while doing so, I'm now required to look away to "SEE" the screen to shift from D to R to D again!! Not gonna happen. Add to that, half of my steering wheel is gone!! I still want to be able to instinctively feel for the things I need to safely drive the car (gear shifter, blinkers, wipers, high-beams, HORN), not have to go looking at screens and be distracted from the road to find them. Not for me. Hopefully, the reviewer reports will at least get Tesla to offer a full steering wheel again, as an option for those that want it. But that shifter and having to take my hands off the wheel to go to the center screen to use the slider to shift, yeah, no way. Not in my lifetime. Let me know when FSD is a reality and I'll reconsider. Until then, sadly after 9 years in a Tesla, my current one will be my last. Hated the 3, love my current Model S. Unfortunately, the new S is just a little fancier version of the 3 and everything about the 3 that drove me back to the S is now in the S.....and then some. Still incredible cars, no doubt. Just not for me and my particular daily driving needs anymore.

I think Elon has this problem of 'putting the cart before the horse'. A yoke in a truly level 4-5 autonomous car where the driver get's a nice view and rarely actually drives it unless they really want to... sure there may be a case for that despite it being minutia level of visibility, even though a wheel is still the perfect shape for driving. I believe we are still atleast 5 years away from L4/5 meanwhile Elon's been touting true FSD being around the corner for almost that long. I get that he has a vision and wants to be cool and different but this is the kind of micro-management that I can't see any good reason for him to double down on, other than to piss off folks, including long time loyalists. I hope he re-think's things and takes customer feedback seriously as I think it very well could have a measurable impact on sales once more word gets out that it's not all it's hyped up to be.

>>I don't think it is helpful to let people judge the handling and user interface of a car they haven't used, at all.<<

I've seen no-one list the ADVANTAGES of the yoke turn indicator buttons, horn, etc let alone the yoke itself. The turn buttons alone are bizarre when you have any real lock on the yoke. And how do you flash or dip the lights? The software on my S NEVER puts the lights up full unless I go manual every trip.
Raised buttons might be slightly better than the flush haptic buttons. Have a large lighted and distinctive button for each function. Slightly better. It would still be hard to press any of them with the wheel turned or in quick motion.

I think of the number of times I have needed to clear dirt spray from the windshield quickly, or needed the turn signal while making a fast offramp transition to city street. These things needed to happen while I was still gripping the wheel and the stalks are perfect for their function. I'm a big fan of dedicated buttons for instant results of critical functions. Tesla has moved all the critical functions to unfindable locations when you're twisting the wheel around. I guess they figure all driving takes place between 120° left and 120° right where you can keep your hands on the yoke. It's the unpredictable times when you need the safety functions the most.

Raised buttons might be slightly better than the flush haptic buttons. Have a large lighted and distinctive button for each function. Slightly better. It would still be hard to press any of them with the wheel turned or in quick motion.

I think of the number of times I have needed to clear dirt spray from the windshield quickly, or needed the turn signal while making a fast offramp transition to city street. These things needed to happen while I was still gripping the wheel and the stalks are perfect for their function. I'm a big fan of dedicated buttons for instant results of critical functions. Tesla has moved all the critical functions to unfindable locations when you're twisting the wheel around. I guess they figure all driving takes place between 120° left and 120° right where you can keep your hands on the yoke. It's the unpredictable times when you need the safety functions the most.
I'm a big fan of dedicated buttons for instant results of critical functions

I should add to that, the ergonomics of turn stalks and wiper stalks are better than buttons too. If the yoke only turned in a limited arc then maybe thumb or trigger buttons might be ok, but not for the current yoke.

Is anyone else here really struggling with purchasing a new S with the yoke?

I ordered the day it was announced. I figured there was no way that the yoke would be the only option, and renderings of a standard wheel had already leaked.

Now here we are and I have a delivery appointment ready to schedule. There is apparently no option for a standard wheel.

I hate the yoke. I think it's a ridiculous idea that is annoying at best and potentially deadly at worst. I also hate that stalks were removed but I can probably get past that.

I love everything else about the car and I would love to take delivery. But holy crap the yoke just ruins it for me.

OH GOD WHAT SHOULD I DO?!

Is anyone else here really struggling with purchasing a new S with the yoke?

I ordered the day it was announced. I figured there was no way that the yoke would be the only option, and renderings of a standard wheel had already leaked.

Now here we are and I have a delivery appointment ready to schedule. There is apparently no option for a standard wheel.

I hate the yoke. I think it's a ridiculous idea that is annoying at best and potentially deadly at worst. I also hate that stalks were removed but I can probably get past that.

I love everything else about the car and I would love to take delivery. But holy crap the yoke just ruins it for me.

OH GOD WHAT SHOULD I DO?!
Have you driven a Model S with a yoke yet?

I'd just like to point out that there was much rendering of clothes and gnashing of teeth when Steve Jobs/Apple:
  • Removed SCSI and Parallel ports in favor of this new-fangled "Universal Serial Bus"
  • Removed diskette drives (remember those?)
  • Removed CDROM drives (remember those??)
  • Deleted all laptop ports except for USB-C/Thunderbolt
  • Removed the physical keyboard from smartphones (omg what!!)
all of which were going to be doom, DOOOOOM for everyone! Run for your lives! But I think this all turned out OK in the end.

TL;DR: visionaries are a PITA sometimes

Reactions: bpjod and MarcG
I'd just like to point out that there was much rendering of clothes and gnashing of teeth when Steve Jobs/Apple:
  • Removed SCSI and Parallel ports in favor of this new-fangled "Universal Serial Bus"
  • Removed diskette drives (remember those?)
  • Removed CDROM drives (remember those??)
  • Deleted all laptop ports except for USB-C/Thunderbolt
  • Removed the physical keyboard from smartphones (omg what!!)
all of which were going to be doom, DOOOOOM for everyone! Run for your lives! But I think this all turned out OK in the end.

TL;DR: visionaries are a PITA sometimes
Interesting historical comparison, but I'd suggest the relevance is limited. The cellphone is not a 4700 pound object hurtling down a road at 70 or more mph and carrying live human beings. The consequences of early or sudden confusion and errors are rather less significant with the phone....