Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to upgrade battery capacity later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There may not be many reports because the math dont make sense. I'll gladly do it and write a story about the process if you guys pay for it. I'll even split it with you all. Who wants to create the donation fund?
But why has tesla balked every time someone actually did agree to pay for an upgrade? Jason (wk057) also wanted to do one and they also provided him with an offer that they later refused to honor

But why has tesla balked every time someone actually did agree to pay for an upgrade? Jason (wk057) also wanted to do one and they also provided him with an offer that they later refused to honor

I didn't know he tried that route first. And the maths can make sense with a reasonable cost per kw on both sides of the equation. You lock in the trade-in value CPK (cost per kw) at the same cost as the new CPK and I think that makes it the most equitable. So you go to Tesla with your 90kwh battery and they tell you, "well, it's been degraded 10%, so your battery has only 81kwh of life in it". So your new 100kwh pack costs $250 per kwh, or $25k. They give you a credit of $250 * 81 and that is your trade-in value; $20k

Now, it cost them more to make that older battery when it was produced (assuming Tesla is always reducing pack cost), but an old kw is still just as useful as a new kw, regardless of how old that kw is. And Tesla can still charge you install/firmware costs so that no one is losing money (with made-up number of $1000).

The math still work reasonably well even if you have a $200-300 per kw range.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
You lock in the trade-in value CPK (cost per kw) at the same cost as the new CPK and I think that makes it the most equitable. So you go to Tesla with your 90kwh battery and they tell you, "well, it's been degraded 10%, so your battery has only 81kwh of life in it". So your new 100kwh pack costs $250 per kwh, or $25k. They give you a credit of $250 * 81 and that is your trade-in value; $20k
That would be awesome if Tesla implemented something like that, but I don't think that's ever going to be the case. The only credit they've offered on a used pack was $1k, regardless of size/remaining capacity. The catch is that this isn't even a true credit for a "core return", as they require that you trade in your old battery. Even still, as unattractive as these terms are, they still refuse when someone tries to do it :confused:.

That would be awesome if Tesla implemented something like that, but I don't think that's ever going to be the case. The only credit they've offered on a used pack was $1k, regardless of size/remaining capacity. The catch is that this isn't even a true credit for a "core return", as they require that you trade in your old battery. Even still, as unattractive as these terms are, they still refuse when someone tries to do it :confused:.

It would be the right thing to do, not just the awesome thing. Even if the "install charge" was more due to limiting a huge influx of takers, that would be reasonable. But we all know it takes two hours to flash firmware and 1 shop hour (2 guys thirty min) to drop a battery. So don't make it too crazy while at the same time Tesla needs to still make money on this deal.

There are a ton of s60/85 owners that have zero desire to get rid of their Tesla, regardless of the new options available. But they are going to be chomping at the bit here come year 5+ of ownership to breath new life into their car with added range 125-160% of their current range.

I mean come on, psychologically, wasnt this always in the back of all our minds when we purchased? "By the time I'm ready, Tesla will let me pay to upgrade my battery."

You can either:
1. Sell the old car and buy a new one, you need to pay some money.
2. Get a new battery and pay for installation.

Option 1 seems more environmentally friendly, because now you've got two people driving a Tesla and you didn't need to recycle.

Whether 1 or 2 is cheaper depends on things we don't know yet, ie. the price of your old car, the price of a battery pack, the price of installation etc.

• Helpful
Reactions: ScottUK
Have an early 2013 S60. Option 2 would be great if upgrading from 60 kWh to 100 kWh was more favorable in terms of cost.

On the other hand, a new S would have some of the features not offered/purchased in the vehicle originally (AWD, collision avoidance, blind spot/lane departure warning, parking sensors). Did not order the tech package and miss not having GPS. IMO, it should not have been bundled into tech package.

Yeah added 20k to my purchase price of my 60 (not even including taxes on the added 20k and it was cheaper to build an equivalent 90D than to upgrade and I got to reset my cars value, newer build, and all wheel drive.
Who gave you the quote for an upgrade. I have been eager to upgrade my 40 to something bigger than a degraded 60 ever since they announced the possibility last year. My local service center, San Rafael, knows nothing about it. Any ideas on who to contact?

Who gave you the quote for an upgrade. I have been eager to upgrade my 40 to something bigger than a degraded 60 ever since they announced the possibility last year. My local service center, San Rafael, knows nothing about it. Any ideas on who to contact?
The service manager I was talking to at the Santa Barbara store is no longer there but maybe who ever is in charge now knows something about it.

Why don't they make "modular" battery packs?
you would buy a car with a 60 kwh battery but later you could buy and easily install 10,20,30,40 kwh more capacity
You don't have to change the whole battery, just install 1-2-3-4 plus 10kwh modules for 4-8-12-16k $

Why don't they make "modular" battery packs?
you would buy a car with a 60kw/h battery but later you could buy and easily install 10,20,30,40 kw/h more capacity
You don't have to change the whole battery, just install 1-2-3-4 plus 10kw/h modules for 4-8-12-16k $

Not practical from a technical standpoint. Each sub pack would have to have all the safety features of a full pack (contactors, BMS, MSD, etc) and its own structural enclosure. You're also left with empty connection points to the high voltage DC, which either need comprehensive safety concerts or possibly a second set of contactors on the car side of them to keep things safe.

A car with only some packs installed would have a different weight distribution than a car with them all installed, possibly left to right as well as front to rear.

Battery size also has direct implications on power output, regen, and supercharging rates.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
This is all very encouraging. While we are happy with the range of the 2012 S-85 that we just bought used from Tesla, it will be totally out of warranty come 2020. At some point after that, given some additional degradation on the 85 kWh battery, it may be nice to upgrade to a 100 kWh battery (or larger) which would presumably come with its own warranty. On the other hand, at 74K miles and almost 4 years, our battery pack seems to be retaining capacity quite well. :)

Tesla really does not want to upgrade batteries. They don't even want to repair cars. I was just at the service center to make an appointment. When I started explaining what issues my car has he almost immediately brought up the idea to trade the old car in and buy a new one. LOL

Reactions: wcfinvader
From my experience they will sell you a battery but it will be the same size as what ever the car came with. I've been trying to get information about a 100kwh battery upgrade ever since it was announced and even though I've had my battery swapped once and will again this week sometime they still will not give me any information about it. They claim it can't be done since my car is a RWD but @wk057 proved that wrong with his Classic S that he put a 90kwh battery in. They clearly have NO interest in doing any battery upgrades for the time being. I hope they change this one day because we bought our car with the promise of battery upgrades being possible in the future as the technology progresses.