Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Sig Perf reservation holder's take away from the conference call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But where do closeable water-bottles go? Or those nice Tesla travel mugs? It shouldn't be necessary to lose 20% of the seating so that each passenger can have a place to put a water bottle.

Yep, and cupholders are also needed for adults. The other day we went through a drive-through. My wife was in the back with the baby and I handed her her food. Baby started to cry and since she was sitting in the center seat (where the cupholders usually fold down) she had to ask me to take the cup up front (into the front cupholders) while she put him back to sleep. This is just one of many scenarios in which a rear seat passenger might need cupholders.

I also have no problem with food in my cars, so if someone's in back eating a #1, where do they put their drink whilst munching on the fries?

I've got 3 kids, the oldest 21 now, I've never had any of the needs on road trip he's described. Kevin seems to be describing road trips with physical adults, but the emotional/mental capacities of 3 year olds. Yea, I'd like some limited rear storage, but the level of ire/concern expressed seems exaggerated to the point of hyperbole.

Personal comments aside, it sounds like nobody has really helped you understand the real need for drinks in the car. We live in a climate where we have summer temperatures from 90-110F (I had a road temp on my Roadster of 120F the other day) combined with extremely high humidity; glorious sunshine but with a big downside, dehydration! Dehydration is a real problem and visitors to FL become prone to it often enough, all too often we have horror stories of kids dying from being left in the car as the parent stopped off at the supermarket or mall. So if we go out with things to do around town, or out to the stables, or a trip to the airport, or a visit to the zoo, or, or...we usually have one water bottle (none of us drink soda) for me, one for my wife and one for my daughter. BTW, she's 8, so none of us are limited to the capacities of a 3 year old and even though we have health insurance we would rather not be dragged to the hospital on a regular basis. :wink:

I don't know where everyone else on this forum lives, but I can say that for some us having somewhere in the car to store drinks is just as valid a concern as 21" wheels are for those who live in wintery climates. I wouldn't dream of telling someone to just focus on the performance ride and forget about 19" wheels. We are all free to comment and express our own needs/desires and they are all valid.

Personal comments aside, it sounds like nobody has really helped you understand the real need for drinks in the car. We live in a climate where we have summer temperatures from 90-110F (I had a road temp on my Roadster of 120F the other day) combined with extremely high humidity; glorious sunshine but with a big downside, dehydration! Dehydration is a real problem and visitors to FL become prone to it often enough, all too often we have horror stories of kids dying from being left in the car as the parent stopped off at the supermarket or mall.

Texas too.

Yep, and cupholders are also needed for adults. The other day we went through a drive-through. My wife was in the back with the baby and I handed her her food. Baby started to cry and since she was sitting in the center seat (where the cupholders usually fold down) she had to ask me to take the cup up front (into the front cupholders) while she put him back to sleep. This is just one of many scenarios in which a rear seat passenger might need cupholders.

I also have no problem with food in my cars, so if someone's in back eating a #1, where do they put their drink whilst munching on the fries?

Actually, you've got a ready-made solution, which is that most child seats and boosters now come with fold-in cup holders on either side. For us, these have been a godsend because we don't need to push down the center seatback to get cupholders that the kids can use while we're transporting all three of them. I think for people without small kids, this can be an issue depending on your daily habits and how you normally use your car. I'm definitely from the school of "no eating or drinking in my car!", so I couldn't care less about cupholders, but it's still a bit surprising that Tesla didn't do a bit more market research or focus groups or something to determine what people wanted in the interior. The noise level about relatively minor things (minor in the sense that it should have been relatively easy to add/keep such things in the design of the interior) like interior lights, cupholders, storage etc. is unnecessarily high and probably could have been avoided. I think it's safe to assume Model S version 1.5 or 2.0 will fix these issues.

So it doesn't have cup holders. My current car (Saturn L300) has two in the front, (just like Model S!) and a fold-out pair of cup holders in the center seat... which we never used when all three kids were in car seats. Even today, the kids don't use them: Only their big water bottles (self sealing) are allowed in the car, and they don't fit in the fold-out.

Back on topic,
Thank you for the research you've shared with all of us, and for being a concerned, thorough consumer.

You're buying a technically-advanced car, with an EV propulsion system, and with European-inspired styling (read: minimal cup holders and minimal distractions from driving).

If you don't like the Model S after you have completed your research, and found a conclusion (That's why you did it, right? To make sure you wanted the car? To be open to either result, positive or negative?), feel free to move out of line so others can take an earlier delivery. :)

Seriously, a letter to Tesla with your concerns is best, then if Tesla can't meet your needs, gracefully defer to ask for your deposit.

it's still a bit surprising that Tesla didn't do a bit more market research or focus groups or something to determine what people wanted in the interior.

I'm not. The Model S is pretty much a one man and his dream car. Having a focus group tends to lead to bad decisions like: No one over thirty listens to MP3 music so an MP3 player isn't needed. In my opinion, the one man car was what was needed to focus on getting the Model S and Roadster going. Now that it's going those who are purchasing the car will have some input.

I'm not. The Model S is pretty much a one man and his dream car. Having a focus group tends to lead to bad decisions like: No one over thirty listens to MP3 music so an MP3 player isn't needed. In my opinion, the one man car was what was needed to focus on getting the Model S and Roadster going. Now that it's going those who are purchasing the car will have some input.

I would never suggest that they let the focus group's wishes overrule the designer's vision. But, there are certain things that are really important to some people that one person (or a small group of like-minded people, like those who designed the interior) might not consider. I say this as someone who likes a clean interior and is perfectly fine with what Tesla has designed with the two cupholders and minimal other storage space. If I were in their shoes I'd design the car I want, but also pressure test my ideas just to make sure that I wasn't missing basic things that many/most other people would want that I didn't consider. For example, I don't let my kids (or anyone) use the rear reading lights at night because it's a distraction for the driver, but I understand it's a big issue for some, and not a big deal (presumably) to include in the car. Same with cupholders in the rear that could pop out of the middle piece that has the vents for the back seat.

As has been noted elsewhere, those of us most enthusiastic for this car (or any EV) will be willing to overlook these little things, but as Tesla gets through its backlog, it's going to come upon more finicky consumers for whom these little things could be make or break issues. It would be counterproductive (to say the least) to address range anxiety as well as Tesla has and will with the Supercharger network, only to lose potential customers because of missing interior lights, cupholders and storage space in the seats!

My kids just store junk in their cupholders and door/seat pockets, so I'll be thrilled to be rid of all of them in the rear. Their water bottles generally reside in their swim bags in the trunk.

I honestly like the simplicity of the interior design.

My kids just store junk in their cupholders and door/seat pockets, so I'll be thrilled to be rid of all of them in the rear. Their water bottles generally reside in their swim bags in the trunk.

I honestly like the simplicity of the interior design.

The Model S is too simplistic with its lack of rear seat lights:

What do you do at night time when you need to grab some item that was dropped in the back seat and you need to see? At night in the rear seat, how do you see the handles of the grocery bags so you know where to pick them up? Are you going to take out your phone, enter its PIN, then turn on the flashlight app?

Tesla is making some big mistakes here in my opinion.

Also, I rarely need cup holders in the back seat but when I do need them, I just do dammit!

What is Tesla thinking? Who is approving these decisions? I think they are big mistakes!