Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Model S caught fire while supercharging in Norway (link in Norwegian)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been said elsewhere that in the videos the supercharger plug appears to be stowed in its holster on the supercharger frame.

The one in the left looks holstered in this pic.

image.png

And the one on the right looks holstered in this pic. Not sure if those cables are the SC cables or internal cables.

image.jpeg

There is definitely smoke coming from that shed where the transformer is located... If this was caused by the Supercharger itself, I hope this doesn't negatively impact Tesla's ability to obtain property leases for new Supercharger installations. I also wonder if there is any possibility that the equipment had been tampered with?

So the conclusion of the fire is, based on the pictures:
- a temporary charger unit overheated while charging the car, resulted in the cabinet to explode. The MS caught fire and this resulted in the total car loss.

"Nothing" to worry about really. This is not a structural problem for TM. A matter of stricter installation/safety guidelines when installing a charger unit.

There is definitely smoke coming from that shed where the transformer is located... If this was caused by the Supercharger itself, I hope this doesn't negatively impact Tesla's ability to obtain property leases for new Supercharger installations. I also wonder if there is any possibility that the equipment had been tampered with?
You have three sheds. The one directly behind the burning Tesla is where the supercharger cabinets for the permanent superchargers are housed. The red one I think houses the transformer for the hotel - it predates the superchargers. And then a bit further behind the burning Tesla, you have the main transformer for the supercharger. Circled in red.

transformer.jpg

Last edited:
So the conclusion of the fire is, based on the pictures:
- a temporary charger unit overheated while charging the car, resulted in the cabinet to explode. The MS caught fire and this resulted in the total car loss.
I doubt the charger failure caused the car to catch fire, but it's more than possible that a fire in the car damaged the charger, which caused a transformer overload.

The reason I doubt that we're seeing a charger failure is that there is a doubly-redundant pair of contactors, one at the car side and one at the charger side. Should a failure in the charger occur, causing the system voltage to rise, the contactors should disengage, preventing much energy from being dumped into the car. Also, the charger unit used in the Model S has complete isolation between the HVB and the mains connection, so a mains-side transient can't inject much, if any, energy into the system.

:D

My impression is that a lot of people are overreacting on this event. If I read statements like "buyers will never trust EV's again; the battery is a potential bom; no passengers allowed in the car while supercharging; TSLA shares will go down; supercharger design faulted;.... "

Let's wait until further investigation has been done and the Norwegian CSI team has revealed the real cause of this event.

No captain Picard facepalm, but a Spock image would be more in place ;)
MrSpockSays.jpg

You appear to be serious. So am I: the odds of anyone being injured while fueling at a gas station are far higher than injury while Supercharging. As far as we know, no one has ever suffered an injury while Supercharging or while at a Supercharger (and I am certain that in the past 3 years the Supercharger network has been used literally hundreds of thousands of times to charge a Tesla), but car fires at gas stations occur regularly as shown by the posted videos (and there are many more online than that).
Many people have exaggerated fears of new things but blithely accept significant risks from activities they grew up with.

I am serious and I agree. It is more a matter of foreseeability or cause and effect that are up in the air and unknowns right now.

Look I am a very happy Tesla owner. So much so that I have referred tons of people regardless of reward programs or not (Friends, family, business associates, etc.). I am also a decent sized stock holder.

I am simply saying I will could not leave any aged person in a Tesla while supercharging after seeing that picture and not worry. That is until we fully understand what happened. Then we can know the foreseeable risks if any. I am not bashing Tesla or being one sided here. We simply must learn what caused this before I feel as safe as I did before. I am not comparing to ICE cars or ICE statistics. Of course a tesla is better and I agree. Thats why I own one.

From that WK057 post, about "bus bars" accidentally being used. VIN25XXX was likely serviced in the days/week before it caught fire. It was just bought. I know I'm adding a face palm here, but have to wonder if employees of a service center in Norway aren't a little nervous. They wouldn't use bus bars, but is it possible someone could have bypassed a fuse during a routine charge port replacement? The VIN implies a "B" battery. That is more odds-making but it helps not point to a 90kw max "A" unit somehow getting 115kw.

Check your Owner's Manual. Front doors open by using the same inside door handle -- just keep pulling it beyond where you normally do, and it will manually release the door if there is no power. As you thought, rear doors have a manual release under the front of the left/right seats behind a carpet piece that can be flipped open.

Yeah, that's all correct but it's one thing to know and another thing to actually do it. So my plan is to try it because in emergency situations people tend to freak out, and I would encourage other people to test it as well. If I was a parent my primary concern would be that my kids could hit the manual release under the carpet.

There are so many cases completely unrelated to fire that you want to get passengers out of the car. I don't care to compare it to an ICE car, but to acknowledge the reality of what it takes to escape a car we own. The biggest danger is probably escaping the car due to flooding (flash floods, etc), and not fire.

So instead of freaking out about this fire which we have no idea what caused it we should focus on knowing our cars, and creating a simple guide of how to test escaping this car if there is an electrical glitch/problem. What fuses to pull to test it.