Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

940hp roadster hyper car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk said it is imperative that Tesla Motors become a 'full line' manufacturer of electric cars. Idea being the as long as the company only sells one car, or a couple of cars, their harshest critics can always marginalize their accomplishments. So he would like to introduce a new car design every year. He admitted that is more of a personal goal and that it would take a while to get there. With that in mind, I believe Model ≡ will be unveiled as at least two, and possibly three variants. I would presume that the first two will be a sedan and crossover. The third might be a wagon or SUV. But the reveal of each will hopefully not take place more than two years before deliveries begin, starting with Generation III. That's why I don't expect to see a pickup truck revealed before 2020, though it is certainly in the plan.

Elon Musk said it is imperative that Tesla Motors become a 'full line' manufacturer of electric cars. Idea being the as long as the company only sells one car, or a couple of cars, their harshest critics can always marginalize their accomplishments. So he would like to introduce a new car design every year. He admitted that is more of a personal goal and that it would take a while to get there. With that in mind, I believe Model ≡ will be unveiled as at least two, and possibly three variants. I would presume that the first two will be a sedan and crossover. The third might be a wagon or SUV. But the reveal of each will hopefully not take place more than two years before deliveries begin, starting with Generation III. That's why I don't expect to see a pickup truck revealed before 2020, though it is certainly in the plan.

I would hope the 3rd would be a coupe and or convertible. SUV will be with the crossover category with this size. I don't think we will see a wagon until the end. BMW wagon and Audi wagons and very low sellers at least in the US. AFAIK low sellers everywhere except the EU.

I figure a coupe would run about $5,000 premium over the sedan, and a convertible at another $10,000-$15000 beyond that. So each would be good for revenue generation. The question is whether their annual sales would be high enough to justify the effort of design and tooling. I certainly think so, but I'm not the CEO of Tesla Motors.

I have intimated before that a Tesla Model ≡ P135D Coupe with Falcon Wing Doors would be a superior alternative to a BMW 435i Coupe.

I figure a coupe would run about $5,000 premium over the sedan, and a convertible at another $10,000-$15000 beyond that. So each would be good for revenue generation. The question is whether their annual sales would be high enough to justify the effort of design and tooling. I certainly think so, but I'm not the CEO of Tesla Motors.

I have intimated before that a Tesla Model ≡ P135D Coupe with Falcon Wing Doors would be a superior alternative to a BMW 435i Coupe.

I'd even go with a P85D Model 3. Thou I will certainly not turn down a 135 if it ever exists :biggrin: See sig below ... But I can not see the convertible demanding $15- $20K more. The difference at BMW is about $8K

Yeah, I know a lot of people think my hopes and dreams for Tesla Motors range from over-the-top optimistic to pie-in-the-sky overkill... But I direct them to the Tesla Model S P85D, and Elon Musk's comments prior to its official unveiling. He indicated that people on the internet were on the right track, but didn't realize the full scope or magnitude of what the dual motor all wheel drive would mean.

People have lambasted me for suggesting an AWD version of the Model ≡ might have a combined 500 HP, or that the base version would be at least 300 HP in RWD configuration. They said there was no way Tesla would offer such a car for significantly less money than a BMW M3, if they bothered to do it at all. Well, I don't think Tesla Enthusiasts have quite figured out the magnitude of what Elon Musk has in mind. Overkill will be the order of the day.

So yes, the base version of the Model ≡ will smoke the BMW 335i, and the Performance versions will go even further. It really helps to listen carefully to what Elon says, because he is always absolutely sincere. He wants to prove electric cars can be affordable, and still be 'better than all the other cars' on the market.

The fundamental basis of the Tesla Motors philosophy, the very core of their identity, is bound to performance.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know a lot of people think my hopes and dreams for Tesla Motors range from over-the-top optimistic to pie-in-the-sky overkill... But I direct them to the Tesla Model S P85D, and Elon Musk's comments prior to its official unveiling. He indicated that people on the internet were on the right track, but didn't realize the full scope or magnitude of what the dual motor all wheel drive would mean.People have lambasted me for suggesting an AWD version of the Model ≡ might have a combined 500 HP, or that the base version would be at least 300 HP in RWD configuration. They said there was no way Tesla would offer such a car for significantly less money than a BMW M3, if they bothered to do it at all. Well, I don't think Tesla Enthusiasts have quite figured out the magnitude of what Elon Musk has in mind. Overkill will be the order of the day.So yes, the base version of the Model ≡ will smoke the BMW 335i, and the Performance versions will go even further. It really helps to listen carefully to what Elon says, because he is always absolutely sincere. He wants to prove electric cars can be affordable, and still be 'better than all the other cars' on the market. The fundamental basis of the Tesla Motors philosophy, the very core of their identity, is bound to performance.
On the contrary, the P85D isn't really overkill. It's right alongside the performance numbers (well, straight-line anyway) of the Audi RS7 and other performance sedans in that class. It may be overkill compared to other EV offerings though. But considering the performance of the current BMW 3-series, even just turning in track times that are on par with the platform would be just fine by me. But secretly I'm hoping we'll see some times that would best even the P85D.

even just turning in track times that are on par with the platform would be just fine by me

There are currently two issues preventing good track times.

* Car going into limp mode
* High speed power drop off

Both those issues are solvable.
The first can be via new battery packs and better motor cooling.
As for the second.. we now know that the new motors are more efficient at highway speeds.
That could be due to gearing changes, better motor design or both.

As for the 940 hp roadster idea... Whatever the reasons for better high speed efficiency are,
it makes more sense to use a beefed up version of the 221 motor. Or more of them,
like a 4 motor 884 hp version.

If use such overkill numbers of hp taller gears on every motor work just fine.
You would otherwise be traction limited anyway (e.g. useless first gear on the hellcat)

I think some people are under estimating Tesla Motors ability to innovate and surprise us with their design creativity, technical expertise, and engineering prowess, I think that their next-generation roadster, (it probably won't be called a roadster but it will be their next version of their high performance model.), will be all-wheel-drive and probably have a single motor for each wheel this configuration combined with the near instantaneous control allowed by their electronic control systems would give it unbelievable performance characteristics, things like torque vectoring to the individual wheels, the handling and cornering ability could end up becoming something that the world has never seen before in any kind of high-performance vehicle. I'm hoping that the name of the next hyper performance model will be named something reminiscent of Space X type technology, like the Dragon. They may offer a hybrid battery pack that uses ultracapacitor technology, the ability of these types of batteries to discharge huge amounts of current in a short amount of time make them perfect for ultra high-performance electric vehicle. I seem to recall that the last dynamometer test of the Tesla Model S85D showed that a drop off in power to the motors occurred over time and that this was a limiting factor in its acceleration capabilities, if so, this is probably a limitation of the current battery pack set up. I wouldn't be surprised to see them offer a long-range battery pack for long-distance driving and an optional high performance track pack that has a shorter range but less weight and extreme high discharge capabilities better suited to high acceleration applications.

Why are we waiting? I believe that is a waist of time! I want to see dual motor config with the 470 hp motor in both the front and rear! Thank you for your consideration on that car!

I seriously doubt the battery pack could deliver all of that power without major changes. Even if it could, because of weight transfer under acceleration, the front wheels can't take nearly as much torque as the rears can.

The only place the extra front wheel power would matter is at high speeds - where the existing rear motor is losing power anyway (and so presumably would your new front motor.)

It might make sense to use the bigger motor/inverter with much taller gearing to carry more power up into the high speed ranges - but that means minimal if any improvement below 70 mph or so - and possibly worse performance at low speeds because of the extra weight.
Walter

The roadster only came in at 300hp tops. Add the 470hp rear motor and it could easily add 0-60 time plus haul around another 470hp motor in the front even if it's only dead weight at low mph.

Gear the front motor to peak out just above 200mph, and I still believe it would still produce tourque at low mph just not substantial. Obviously your range will suffer exponentially at these speeds, but it's not supposed to be a road trip car.

Include improvements in battery chemistry they are updating the roadster with to reduce weight.

I think they could sell a couple thousand of them, add in 40% margin. Seems like a good move, and one that could definitively set electric cars as the fastest in the world.

Plan for 2017 or 2018. Maybe it could share a smaller skateboard deck with the 3?

I don't think that that's true. The McLaren P1 only has one electric motor. The Porsche 918 Spyder has two, but one is on the front axel and the other is on the rear. So, no left to right torque vectoring in either case.

You are correct, Pr0teu5.

- - - Updated - - -

Using the dual motor config with the 470 hp motor in both the front and rear, the roadsters could compete with the McLaren P1 and the Ferrari Laferrari.

I suspect it would even beat them in 0-60 times.

Although I know the focus for Tesla is to get to the model 3 and therefore this is unlikely to happen, I personally think they should go for it!

What do you think?

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing as the abovementioned cars go for a million dollars, this might be a great way for Tesla to raise some capital, just my 2¢

onceday, before you fall too much in love with that stratosphericically high hp number, be aware that subjectively performance cars benefit from having a rear biased torque split. I'm not saying it improves lap times, but if you've driven a wide range of performance cars you'll learn that, in terms of having fun, you usually want AWD cars to feel as much as possible like a RWD car, while secretly benefiting from the extra traction afforded by powered front wheels.

All that being said, I love your idea, perhaps with the 221 hp motor in front and 470 hp motor in the rear, though. No one's ever designed a federalized, pure performance oriented EV for road use. I can't wait to see the first one. It will be a monster given the COG and torque advantages of EVs.

Could the new roadster hypercar be released late 2016 or early 2017?

I think there are many reasons why Tesla is likely to release this car before the Model 3. If they don’t, hey, it’s still fun to dream, but it would be really cool if this becomes a reality and I think Tesla can make it happen. Here are the basic specs I’d hope for and that seem reasonable given Tesla’s current public tech capabilities. Weight, about 3000 lbs, all wheel drive, two seater, incredible aerodynamics likely better than Model S, 0-60 in low 2’s or high 1’s (seriously, it could happen), top speed would be crazy, range would be higher than current roadster 3.0 with hopefully better battery etc., cooling for batteries to make it track worthy, maybe a couple of gears to help with speed. Sorry if this is some of this has already been discussed, I found this thread after I wrote the post.

Here’s my theory as to why this might be possible and maybe even probable in the timeframe I mentioned, sorry, this is a long post.

1. The Model 3 requires heavy infrastructure build out to be successful. Both the GigaFactory and, in my opinion, a more thorough Supercharger network will be required before the Model 3 really becomes a successful reality. Both of these are in motion but will take some time to complete. This creates a gap year in 2016 and maybe even early 2017 where no new car product would be released.
2. Tesla will have a good skateboard on which to build the new roadster, that is, the Model 3 skateboard. From what I’ve read, the Model 3 will be a steel chassis, however, they could build a carbon fiber or aluminum version of the Model 3 skateboard which would be perfect for both a performance version of the Model 3 (like a M3 for BMW) but also they could build a roadster body as well on top of this ultra-light Model 3 skateboard.
3. If they use the same skateboard as the Model 3, just a lighter version, this would allow them to test the Model 3 chassis ahead of actual release of the Model 3 which could actually help speed up the final testing of the Model 3 (some guesswork here, I’m no auto mechanic but seems reasonable)
4. The P85D motors (and Tesla’s incredible traction control system) are the perfect motors to power a hypercar like the new roadster would be, hell, instead of a smaller motor in the front, you could use two of the rear P85D motors, 470 + 470, 940HP! Even if you stuck with the exact same powertrain, with a car that weighed about 3k, it would be so quick and fast, I’m guessing 0-60 in the low 2’s or high 1’s just due to the weight reduction from the P85D and that’s without gearing which would presumably make it even faster, especially in the quarter mile.
5. As the Model X gets fully ramped up in 2016, there will be what, a year or so before the release of the Model 3, that’s a long time for Tesla not to have any major announcements or new products based on their current clip. Seems like this could be the ultimate product release (model 3 still on target but hey, here’s a new Roadster Hypercar).
6. I keep saying Hypercar defined here J (http://www.zeroto60times.com/2013/01/supercars-vs-hypercars-definition/) , because I really believe that the release of this car will be the official death knell of ICE technology and even hybrid ICE/Electric Tech. When Tesla releases the new Roadster, it will likely be as fast or faster (both acceleration and on the track) than other hypercars like the Bugatti, the Porsche 918 Spyder, the Koenigsegg Agera R but at a much, much lower price (I hope J based on the price of the original Roadster, I’m hoping 125-175) Those other cars mentioned are all over 1 million. When a young car company like Tesla, using electric only tech, beats the fastest/best highest performance ICE and ICE/Hybrid cars in the world in every category, how will the traditional Sports Car companies like Ferrari and Porsche and others still be able to get away with using this antiquated technology and charging much more for it? Why would anyone spend the money for a supercar/hypercar that’s already been bested, that’s already old news? Just for the name/pedigree? If the tech and performance of those cars are subpar, what does that name really mean? Elon wants to move the world to electric car tech permanently, how can this not be seen as the final nail in the coffin for ICE and ICE/Hybrid tech?
7. Because he can! Elon loves fast sports cars, he bought the Mclaren when he was younger. I know he has some big aspirations with both SpaceX and Tesla but taking the most technological superior car in the world (Model S P85D IMO) and combining it with a two seat sports car and besting all car companies at the very pinnacle of speed and performance seems like something that he and his company are not only capable of, but they just need to make some tweaks and do it, there’s nothing holding them back right now, just a little money and time. Seems like something he’d get some satisfaction from as well, it’s just plain Sexy, (maybe they’ll call it the Model Y but I’m guessing they’ll stick with the Roadster, maybe call it Roadster Model Y?). The only thing left to prove about Electric car technology after this is released is that Elecric cars can be made cheaply and that’s just a matter of time with the Model 3 and the infrastructure they’re working on to allow for it.
8. The Roadster would bring in extra revenue, it would bring in revenue from people looking to spend a ton of money on the best cars in the world(the people buying Ferrari’s, Corvette Z06, and high end porche’s etc.). The Model S is a beautiful car, one of the nicest looking Sedan’s out there, but still, it’s a Sedan, in the looks department, in my opinion, it just doesn’t compete with a Ferrari, a C7 Corvette, a Porsche, a two seater sports car designed well is the epitomy of sexy in a car. There are definitely people who don’t buy the Model S because it’s a large Sedan and isn’t sexy enough (even the P85D), they either want something a little bit sportier, or smaller, or better on the track, or all of this that has all of the performance and tech that the Model S P85D but in a smaller package. Since there is no new roadster available, they either buy a different sports car from another manufacturer or just wait hoping for this to be released at some point by Tesla (I’m in this camp, I wish the new Roadster was available now and I wouldn’t have to think about buying antiquated tech like a C7 Corvette Z06 other than for nostalgia’s sake). It’s really crazy to think that the new Z06 is antiquated tech, it’s an amazing car that competes with Porche’s and Ferrari’s that are much more expensive, but this new Roadster would destroy it in everyway, hell, you could probably take the Z06 frame and add the P85D drivetrain and battery to it and blow the Z06 away, much less a purpose built Tesla sports car.
9. The Roadster doesn’t compete in anyway with the Model 3. Because the Roadster sales (in number of cars) would be small in comparison to the other models, I wouldn’t think it wouldn’t really slow down the assembly line much for Model S, 3, or X, and if they use the new Roadster to help with the research for the Model 3 skateboard (combine the R&D costs, it could even help speed up the Model 3 guessing here) Either way, enough infrastructure has to be built for the Model 3 release to be a success, until then, what do you do if you’re Tesla? You also aren’t competing for the same sales demographic either. The only Model 3 that could come close to this Roadster would be a Model 3 P85D Sedan type car, even then, it should be heavier and not as sexy looking as a purpose built, two seat sportscar.
10. I’ve heard rumors here and there about a new Roadster, possibly in 2017. While those are just rumors, given the ramp up needed for Model 3 and the current publicly known technology at Tesla’s fingertips, the timing seems right to me.
11. If the Model 3 is delayed due to unforeseen issues, the battery factory taking longer to come online for instance than originally thought, this car could be a great distraction. Building out the infrastructure required to successfully launch the Model 3 is daunting, a lot of pieces have to come together like the gigafactory and as expansive Supercharger network as possible to handle mass market consumer numbers. These are just things that seem to me to be necessary, there are probably other requirements as well. If one piece winds up being delayed for some reason, this new Roadster would allow Tesla to keep making revenue while finishing the final hurdles in the way of the Model 3. Don’t get me wrong, I hope that the Model 3 is fully on time, and I know this car will be a runaway success when it comes out, it will be the moment electric cars come to the masses, I would never hope to have the Model 3 delayed for any reason, even for the new roadster first.
12. In April of this year, Tesla hired the former RedBull Formula 1 Chief Mechanic, Kenny Handkammer. While Elon announced it was to help them revolutionize servicing cars, I’d also think that he would know a thing or two about making the fastest cars in the world. He could help Tesla solve the heating issue they have with their cars on the track (granted that wasn’t an issue they were worried about with a sedan), among other expertise I think he could bring to a car like the new Roadster. I’d think he’d be able to help with the suspension and trackworthiness of this beast among many other things, though I’m sure the Tesla current design team is solid (the P85D is amazing), but building a hypercar and track superior car is a unique endeavor that is very much different than the Model S, I’d think very much similar to building an racing a successful F1 car!

So, does any of this conjecture hold up to scrutiny or am I just crazy and wishing on a star that this would come out before the Model 3?

I’d also like to speculate about the wish list I’d love to see on this car.

1. 0-60 times in the low 2’s or high 1’s, ¼ mile time perhaps sub 10?
2. super light, carbon fiber, titanium, or aluminum frame or something better
3. decent range, probably 300+ real world miles due to aerodynamics and weight savings (they may be forced to give up some range to allow for lighter battery, a tradeoff many would be ok with, maybe they’ll have multiple battery options, longer distance being slower)
4. Two seater super sexy body! The Model S is beautiful, I’d love to see what the same designers could do with a new tesla sports car. Hopefully it will be a little bit mean looking, something like the new vette or Ferrari while still smooth and sexy like the Model S
5. All wheel drive. I think this is a given, they already have proved this in the P85D, it handles amazingly well and takes off without even a chirp from the tires. To perform in hypercar territory, I think this is required.
6. Paddle shifting gears hopefully, combine the P85D powertrain (or better) with gears and it would make the speed off the charts, faster than any hypercar ever built I’m sure. You might have to take g force training and prove that you passed to be allowed to put this car in “insane mode”. ;)
7. Correct cooling to allow for a fully track worthy car, it’s excusable in the Model S as it’s a Sports Sedan, a hypercar can’t have this problem though.
8. All the current Tesla tech available on the Model S. Tesla could take the Model S P85D tech exactly as is and put it into a two seat cool looking sports car and I’d instantly buy it. I know they’ll do even better than that because they’re Tesla, but still, the software integration of the Model S is the most cutting edge thing about it in my opinion.
9. Supercharger capable of course, seems like a no brainer but this IS a wish list
10. Incredible performance on the track. I know that the power and speed are part of this equation, the rest of it is tuning the suspension and handling of the car. I would think that with the weight distribution and performance capabilities, this car could set records and it should, I would expect nothing less than that from this car. The guy they hired from RedBull should be able to help immensely with this category.
11. A convertible or t-top version
12. Top speed around 200, seems like that would be easy for a car like this if they can nail the cooling issue with the batteries.
13. Maybe some sort of excess heat to energy recycling/cooling system. Some of the efficiency of the Model S is still lost to heat, I know it’s much more efficient than ICE tech, but it’s not perfect. This could help with both range and the heat problem.
14. 175k max cost, hopefully less than that. I know that some of the things like Carbon fiber frame or other exotic alloys can be pricey. It would undoubtedly have the very best battery tech, but that shouldn’t cost more than the Model S battery. The cooling system might be pricey, the Model S doesn’t have that. Other than that though, much of the R&D for this car is already completed in the Model S/current Roadster. I would think it would cost more than the P85D so 125-175 seems reasonable

Total pipe dream. No way Tesla can hit those price a performance targets at the same time soon. A year without a new car is supposed to be an issue after the three years we've been waiting for the X?

Tesla's mission statement for renewable transportation means that any distraction from the Model 3 is improbable - if they'd known how well the S would sell, we probably wouldn't be getting the X before the 3 either.
Walter