Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85D vs. 60 - wow, the difference is night and day!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After owning a P85D for a few months and then driving a 60 Loaner, I was surprised more by their similarities.
The difference in Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes top of the marque models and lower rung ones is far greater than the 60 vs P85D.

I don't agree with the "night and day" assessment. Having had numerous loaners, I have found the times when you can safely take advantage of the addition insanity in an 85D etc limited.
I choose the 60 in 2012 when there was no P, + or D. For me, the range of the 60 was fine and I felt like I wasn't going "all in" on a young company with an uncertain future (stock was trading around 30 then!). The 60 is quicker (launch), than 99+% of cars out and about feels vastly different than any other car to drive. I've been on 900 mile road trips and it can haul as many kids as a mini van too. It obviously looks pretty much the same as a P, + or D. Personally, the incremental improvements in performance don't justify the added expense (though there are times in the winter when AWD would be nice). To each his/her own but I used the money I saved to install 50 Solar panels to stick it to Dominion Power instead of knowing I can outrun a Hellcat at the stop light:tongue:

I don't agree with the "night and day" assessment. Having had numerous loaners, I have found the times when you can safely take advantage of the addition insanity in an 85D etc limited.
I choose the 60 in 2012 when there was no P, + or D. For me, the range of the 60 was fine and I felt like I wasn't going "all in" on a young company with an uncertain future (stock was trading around 30 then!). The 60 is quicker (launch), than 99+% of cars out and about feels vastly different than any other car to drive. I've been on 900 mile road trips and it can haul as many kids as a mini van too. It obviously looks pretty much the same as a P, + or D. Personally, the incremental improvements in performance don't justify the added expense (though there are times in the winter when AWD would be nice). To each his/her own but I used the money I saved to install 50 Solar panels to stick it to Dominion Power instead of knowing I can outrun a Hellcat at the stop light:tongue:

sorry but the P was available at launch- and it came with numerous 'bonus' items besides just the performance in 2012.
I use the acceleration that a standard 85 doesn't have daily. sure solar panels are a better investment(except we have 200' redwood and spruce trees to the south)
I would have been sad not to have the P and spend >$50K
85 vs p85 = night and day...not sure what 85D to 60 would be ...unusable, since I have done numerous tapped out battery trips back and forth to the bay area. If it was ~2 years from now the range wouldn't be a problem w/ the SC'c planned

but -I bet you still beat a hellcat off the line in a 60k in daily driving

sorry but the P was available at launch- and it came with numerous 'bonus' items besides just the performance in 2012.
I use the acceleration that a standard 85 doesn't have daily. sure solar panels are a better investment(except we have 200' redwood and spruce trees to the south)
I would have been sad not to have the P and spend >$50K
85 vs p85 = night and day...not sure what 85D to 60 would be ...unusable, since I have done numerous tapped out battery trips back and forth to the bay area. If it was ~2 years from now the range wouldn't be a problem w/ the SC'c planned

but -I bet you still beat a hellcat off the line in a 60k in daily driving

You're right, I forgot the P was available at launch, I always was envious of those chrome pedals! But I must say I prefer my lifetime Model S energy consumption numbers over yours...last I saw you were about 20% higher on your energy consumption for your Model S:wink:

Seems all the threads comparing the 85/P85 to 70D/60 are all the same. We can go on for days and there will still be no conclusion. What works for one may not work for the other. Vote with your wallet.

This. Model S owners are a pretty diverse bunch, with different needs and wants, which are reflected in the configurations of their cars. I never second-guess a fellow owner's buying decisions.

This. Model S owners are a pretty diverse bunch, with different needs and wants, which are reflected in the configurations of their cars. I never second-guess a fellow owner's buying decisions.

Not sure anyone here is judging or second guessing anyone's decision. Personally, I've been gauging everyone's interest to align mine with theirs and make the best selection for my tastes. Certainly don't mean to judge.

An owner of a P85D has a tricky question to ask themselves. Do they always leave it in Insane mode, or do they leave it for special occasions?

Always on. Without even hesitation.

In nearly every ride I've given to the ICE masses- with an insane launch or not- they all comment that it accelerates exceptionally smoothly. The [near] silence probably helps that. I often also stop on an uphill, and demonstrate that I can feather the pedal to keep the car motionless... you don't HAVE to apply all the horses to the ride unless you want to.