Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

85 kWh battery removed from design studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless they keep manufacturing 85 packs, eventually they'll run out. Wonder what would happen if somebody's 85 pack dies 5 years from now? Does the owner have to pony up the difference between the 85 pack and the closest current offering?

They are remanufacturing/repairing most failed packs. And I imagine that they will keep doing that. Who knows maybe they will start buying salvage packs to use in remanufacturing?

- - - Updated - - -

auto makers are required to make enough parts for 20 years... but I could be wrong.
I believe most

I have never heard of that, and I know for my old ICE 2004 they aren't making/stocking parts for it anymore. There are aftermarket companies stepping up to fill in for most parts, but interior/trim parts are next to impossible to get.

And then of course there is Tesla that won't even sell you some parts even when they have them...

Last edited:
Even if your pack dies, its under warranty for 8 years unlimited miles so im sure not many people are worried about this scenario, they cant just bait and switch and require you to pay extra if it dies under warranty, I would assume they have to cover anything even if its at a loss to them with giving you an upgraded pack.

Since the cost of the battery pack is going down I would expect the 90D price to decrease or more stuff get included, perhaps AutoPilot and a center console. I would also expect the 70 kWh to become 75 kWh during this year.

While I understand your point, I think Tesla can't satisfy both side of the camp at the same time. If Tesla keep 90 the same price as 85, the existing 85 owners will be screaming that their car just depreciated for no reason, or they should get the 90 battery as a free upgrade for all the recent 85 purchases.

Won't happen. I ordered Dec 25'th and had to upgrade my pack to 90 for $3700 (CAD) or take delivery of the 85 before end of March. I upgraded.

- - - Updated - - -

Since the cost of the battery pack is going down I would expect the 90D price to decrease or more stuff get included, perhaps AutoPilot and a center console. I would also expect the 70 kWh to become 75 kWh during this year.

Price of the 90D pack is not going down anytime soon. Where did you hear that? Canadian prices went up today and for my configuration it was a $9150 difference. Glad I ordered last month!

My guess, purely a guess, is that they'll eventually drop the price of the battery packs remaining. But not until they come up with a new higher KWh battery pack.
You are absolutely correct I have spoken!! Plus the price of manufacturing the batteries will go down with the giga factory so they will have no choice but to lower the price given the huge difference between the model three and the S

I test drove 85D and P90D just a few days ago and I asked this question: why offer two such similar batteries? The dealer thought it was odd too. But it seems that we were just in a bridging period where both were on offer for a relatively short time. Makes sense to offer 70 and 90, and in future create a 110 or similar.

I know this is premature, but I'm really hoping a new battery size is coming available for my Model X 90D. Any extra increase in range would be very welcome.

JB Straubel and Elon Musk have both said they will be doing a new chemistry when they start making batteries at the Gigafactory which will get more energy out of the same sized battery (or close to the same size), plus they were expecting about a 30% price improvement at the same time. Tesla has been very quiet about what's going on there since the incident with the Reno Journal Gazette reporters. It was ahead of schedule, but who knows where they are now. I expect new car batteries will start production there sometime late this year. I hope they roll out a price reduction at the same time.

More subtle but very odd: I was just on their website yesterday and played with different configurations. The 90D had an EPA of 270 miles. Today it says 288 miles EPA. The P90D had 256 yesterday, today it says 270. That makes no sense.

It sucks you can't get the 90 with a RWD. I really love the front truck size on the RWD models and I don't feel like paying $5000 more to have the frunk reduced in size.

More subtle but very odd: I was just on their website yesterday and played with different configurations. The 90D had an EPA of 270 miles. Today it says 288 miles EPA. The P90D had 256 yesterday, today it says 270. That makes no sense.

Originally, rated range didn't change when you selected the 90 kWh battery. It just said something along the line of "range upgrade increase range by 6%." The numbers listed yesterday were from the 85D and P85D, and the numbers listed today are from the 90D and the P90D.

[FONT=HeiS ASC Simplified Chinese, HeiS ASC Simplified Chinese_n5, HeiT ASC Traditional Chinese, HelveticaNeue-Regular, Helvetica Neue Regular, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica]Well, my Model S "has been confirmed and is scheduled for production".
It must be one of the last of the 85kWh. It will be interesting where in the VIN the change takes place.
~Larry[/FONT]

I test drove 85D and P90D just a few days ago and I asked this question: why offer two such similar batteries? The dealer thought it was odd too. But it seems that we were just in a bridging period where both were on offer for a relatively short time. Makes sense to offer 70 and 90, and in future create a 110 or similar.

I suspect that so much news and so many articles had been about "The Tesla Model S P85D" that they didnt want to have people going to the website and not seeing it available. A non-enthusiast who just wants to check out the cool new Tesla might not know anything about why its called 85, and if they dont see it on the site they may not take the time to look it up. Now that the 90 has been out for a while and beating the 85, they can confidently phase it out without losing the name recognition.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know if this is new but there is an "enable after delivery" option for Autopilot now... that's pretty big in my opinion. I'm sure someone else noticed it before me though haha

Thats been there since the start. $2500 at time of purchase, but it costs $3,000 to turn it off after delivery.