Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

800+ Inventory cars for Model S but exactly 1 Model X - why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The difference is rather extreme. It's not 10:1 or even 100:1 but literally 840-something to 1.

A few days ago there were 4 or 5 Model X inventory cars - all with AP 1.0 - now they're down to 1. I realize X production may still be ramping, they may still be working out kinks - but this is an extreme difference as shown on ev-cpo.

Model S has a healthy mix of cars in all price and option ranges - the vast majority with hardware 2.

I'm away from home on a business trip right now - and I've rented an X for a week. Great SUV I've fallen in love with despite thinking I wouldn't like it. Nevertheless for drives with a single person (not a full family providing more damping) the ride is too jarring for my taste on anything but glass smooth pavement. It's nice - but the S rides more smoothly and is thus less fatiguing - at least for me - as a long distance cruiser.

The X is damn impressive in every other way though. FWD's have been perfect in my rental. Self presenting doors almost flawless and so nice to have. Windshield is nice also and the ghosting for me is not too much of an issue (I notice it only if I look for it).

Also - despite what others say I find the second row seats to be more comfortable and have more leg room than the S - at least for adults.

This July build 90D does have more creaks and rattles than my 2016 S however - which has almost none.

Last edited:
There are already are 29 CPO MX cars for sale. We're talking about Inventory/Demo/Loaner cars sold as new. There's just one listed now.

There were a healthy number of inventory Xs available in the first half of January. In addition to the stuff listed on ev-cpo there was substantial shadow inventory that my DS was able to offer that wasn't on ev-cpo. Then the x inventory vehicles quickly disappeared somewhere around the 3rd week of January. Not sure if they all sold or something else going on? Glad I picked mine up while I had the opportunity. The window for these heavily discounted new/inventory cars is very short. Missed on the hugely discounted Model S new inventory last summer/fall.

The difference is rather extreme. It's not 10:1 or even 100:1 but literally 840-something to 1.

A few days ago there were 4 or 5 Model X inventory cars - all with AP 1.0 - now they're down to 1. I realize X production may still be ramping, they may still be working out kinks - but this is an extreme difference as shown on ev-cpo.

Model S has a healthy mix of cars in all price and option ranges - the vast majority with hardware 2.
Could it be because the Model S is a much nicer car?

Having just been at the Tesla Fremont Factory for the tour during December, I must say that what you see there is similar to what I saw on the assembly line. About 10-20% of the cars on the assy line were Model X. Perhaps this is due to the cost-- there was an article recently about how the average Model X buyer has a household income nearly 50% more than that of the average Model S buyer. So my guess is that demand for the X is lower, so they "over produce" less of them, for that reason.

With that said, everyone should be aware the Tesla.com web site is total crap. I'm quite friendly with my local Owner Advisors and can tell you that the number of cars ACTUALLY available from Tesla is 3x to 4x more than what the web site shows. Tesla only shows you the oldest cars, to move them along. If you call your local store and ask them to find you inventory cars there are a TON more (new inventory, as well as CPO) that you don't see on their site.

I'm picking up a CPO MX in 2 days.... and have been shopping for a few months. I can attest to the fact that there are actually dozens of MX cars (new inventory) that are/were available at times, not visible on their web site.

• Informative
Reactions: calisnow
Model S has higher margins than X and likely takes much less factory time per vehicle than X so by prioritizing volume production of Model S they can produce and sell (1) more total vehicles (2) at higher margins.

In other words, since Tesla has limited production capacity relative to total demand for S and X, given the choice, it makes sense for Tesla to produce higher volumes of Model S. Having Model S cars available in inventory also means increased sales as some people don't want to wait for a custom built vehicle. This could all change as Tesla's Model X production becomes more efficient over time. Also, I assume there will be more inventory Xs available as Tesla goes through the normal cycle of transitioning out demos and showroom models, which it does on a regular basis.

No company relishes a buildup of inventory. Inventory costs money, and automobile inventory costs A LOT of money. Any inventory costs A LOT of money at the end of the year, too, due to taxes. To top it off, an inventory car is a "spec" car, something you build and hope someone will buy. It may be a nice convenience for the customer, but it's a great risk for the business.

Model S now has a few years of sales track record, and Tesla is better at anticipating what configurations will sell. Model X has a few months, so I expect Tesla still is waiting and watching to see how orders come in before they start creating more of an inventory. Wise.

Many of the inventory cars are cancelled orders that were too far down the line or otherwise never were delivered. Of course, no one has the slightest idea how many are cancelled orders, how many are demo cars, and how many are built just for inventory, since Tesla does not release those numbers. We're all just speculating as to why the numbers are as they are.

I'm not at all surprised to see inventory decrease around the third week of January. The end of unlimited supercharging probably got some folks off the fence.

Reactions: arijaycomet