Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S sweet spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been loosely considering a used Model S or even Model X. Already have a Model 3 with FUSC and FSD that the other half uses for commuting, but she does not use AP let alone FSD. The Model S/X would be the new commuter. Considering the S/X would be parked outside and no AP needed, I saw some value in cheaper cars with FUSC. Then I inched my way up to a 2016 P100D with FUSC and HW 2.5/3(?) and FSD as the value sweet spot. FSD for when I take it out, but some nice FUSC to save on some SoCal electricity when convenient.

Looking for some feedback - I haven't kept up on Model S/X changes or model quirks since about 2018. I understand come may have MCU1, but that can be upgraded to MCU2 still for a few grand, yes? Anything else I'm missing? Any significant reason to go newer? Too new and FUSC becomes unavailable, but is that offset with some significant mechanical/technical update?

Basically, looking for a comfy commuter that I won't have to worry about door dings or other cosmetic damage. A car of this age will have its wear and tear already. I don't recall any major issues with 2016/7 S/X, but wanted to inquire anyway.

For a commuter car that you're going to allow to get dinged up, I recommend sticking with non-P, AWD cars that will not have the large rear drive unit. The small rear drive units are much more reliable.

Used Ss can be relatively trouble free if you're lucky, but they also can be money pits. You should be prepared for maintenance costs more similar to older German luxury cars vs. older Japanese luxury cars. Suspension repairs will be needed earlier than usual b/c it's a heavy car.

In addition to what @WallysRide said, I would not get an early X. 2016 was basically their inaugural year and the doors are complicated.

If you go a few years forward, the raven cars were a significant upgrade with more range, faster supercharging, much better suspension, MCU2 as standard, and true 1 pedal driving. The earlier S/X platforms used dual induction motors, and you can't come to a full stop without using the brake pedal. They start in 2019 and are going to cost significantly more than a 2016 though.

If you get an early enough 2016, you can still get AP1 which is much better than the current system, especially in stop and go traffic, though you lose sentry mode.

That all said, if I were looking for a car just for commuting, I'd probably just buy a base 3/Y unless I was driving an hour or more each way. The S/X is a great highway/road trip car, and its cargo capacity is fantastic if it's your only vehicle, but it doesn't fit in as many parking spaces as a smaller car and will have a higher TCO.

In addition to what @WallysRide said, I would not get an early X. 2016 was basically their inaugural year and the doors are complicated.

If you go a few years forward, the raven cars were a significant upgrade with more range, faster supercharging, much better suspension, MCU2 as standard, and true 1 pedal driving. The earlier S/X platforms used dual induction motors, and you can't come to a full stop without using the brake pedal. They start in 2019 and are going to cost significantly more than a 2016 though.

If you get an early enough 2016, you can still get AP1 which is much better than the current system, especially in stop and go traffic, though you lose sentry mode.

That all said, if I were looking for a car just for commuting, I'd probably just buy a base 3/Y unless I was driving an hour or more each way. The S/X is a great highway/road trip car, and its cargo capacity is fantastic if it's your only vehicle, but it doesn't fit in as many parking spaces as a smaller car and will have a higher TCO.
AP1 is still amazing to this day for highway driving. It stays dead center and operates so smoothly. Little to no phantom braking, and any odd moments are very predictable. Plus you can still set the level to 1 and be a total jackazz in stop and go traffic, plus go up to 90MPH. It actually gets quite aggressive, which saves me from others trying to squeeze in my lane.

Reactions: chronoreverse
Thanks I was wondering about this. Thankfully I was the only Leaf owner ever who didn't fall in love with their e-pedal 1 pedal mode. So I don't mind using my brake pedal but I was wondering why it wasn't an option.
Don't mind the non-one pedal mode. I've got a 2015 Model S and it's regen is still very strong as long as the battery is warm. It will bring the car down to 5MPH even on a fairly steep hill. Then I just flick on my adaptive cruise when a car is in front of me and it brings the car to a stop very very smoothly.

I've got over 50K miles on mine. Local mechanic said brake pads are only 50% worn.

Reactions: GSP
Don't mind the non-one pedal mode. I've got a 2015 Model S and it's regen is still very strong as long as the battery is warm. It will bring the car down to 5MPH even on a fairly steep hill. Then I just flick on my adaptive cruise when a car is in front of me and it brings the car to a stop very very smoothly.

I've got over 50K miles on mine. Local mechanic said brake pads are only 50% worn.

+1 on my 2017 RWD. My significant other has a 2022 model y, neither of us use the 1 pedal driving option. We tried it, but prefer the roll at the end and either manual hitting the brake for complete stop or tap autopilot

Reactions: GSP
Thanks to everyone chiming in. I'll have to give this more thought. I wasn't thinking of the maintenance cost aspect - figured they'd be pretty much low maintenance outside of wear items. Drive unit and suspension issues are no joke, cost wise.

I can easily talk myself info a raven or plaid, but don't want to pay that much. I want something I don't have to "worry" about when parking and expensive cars make me worry lol.

I would definitely get a 2016.5 if it's gonna be a commuter. With FUSC.
And for warranty, go after-market

There's no car that won't break. Honestly, if you take care of them, they will be good

So let me say this, I had a 2022 MYP and truly enjoyed the car. However, the overly harsh ride quality, noisy cabin, and occasional rattling of various components in the vehicle began to trigger me. The suspension also began to cause problems for my lower back, as I suffer from acute back pain.

I put my MYP on leasetrader.com and decided to grab a 2023 Model S LR. I decided to grab one in existing inventory. I was able to get Solid Black/Black with Walnut interior, 21 inch All Season Arachnids and round steering wheel all with just over 10k worth of discounts. This brought this close to 100k vehicle down to about 86,500. So I would highly encourage anyone to scroll through existing inventory before making a new order for any Tesla, you may be able to save significantly.

The 23 Model S feels remarkably more refined and comfortable than the MYP. I have noticed when I am driving, nothing rattles. This vehicle feels solid, the ride quality is very smooth with the air suspension, even with the 21 inch tires. The cabin is extremely comfortable and quiet. I no longer hear excessive road noise or wind. The seats feel more expensive, they offer more bolstering and the cooled seats are amazing. I will also say the fit and finish of this refresh 23 MSLR is impressive. It feels very solid, the doors shut and feel like a luxury grand touring sedan. I would recommend upgrading to a S or an X to anyone looking for a more refined vehicle or more comfortable ride quality.