Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

48 amp charger upgradeable after delivery for $1,900

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like rumors that the new 48 amp charger in both Model S and Model X is upgradeable after delivery to 72 amps were true. The cost is $1,900. See the bottom of this image from the current Model S design studio. The same language is on the Model X studio as well.

upload_2016-5-1_18-24-26.png

• Informative
Reactions: newtman
As I said in the Model X thread, this raises more questions than answers. Why did Tesla say it was hardware that couldn't be changed after ordering? Why did Tesla's marketing dept. try to convince Model X customers that 48A was sufficient and higher amps charging was unnecessary, until they were forced to offer the 72A charging from the Founders and Signature cars as an option on the production cars by the outrage of those who know better ( namely any Model S owner who lives outside of California superchargerland)? If the charger could be changed to 72A through software, why did they want to dumb it down?

the answer is very simple.. from a production stand point.. every different build combination has incremental cost to them.. the fact that you have one extra sku means you have one more item to forecast, source, qa, train and support.

it is far cheaper to make every car the same unless the costs above is less than the difference of the parts themselves.

besides just like app store.. who don't you want to upgrade the car over the air? does it feel better not being able to upgrade after you drive it off the lot or through a click of a button

Last edited:
Reactions: gsxdsm
As I said in the Model X thread, this raises more questions than answers. Why did Tesla say it was hardware that couldn't be changed after ordering? Why did Tesla's marketing dept. try to convince Model X customers that 48A was sufficient and higher amps charging was unnecessary, until they were forced to offer the 72A charging from the Founders and Signature cars as an option on the production cars by the outrage of those who know better ( namely any Model S owner who lives outside of California superchargerland)? If the charger could be changed to 72A through software, why did they want to dumb it down?

Yeah, this part seems pretty deceptive on Tesla's part. I'd originally planned on a dual charger, but after the facelift they made me pay the post-facelift price to get the 72A charger. Really unimpressed with the "Tesla experience" so far.

the answer is very simple.. from a production stand point.. every different build combination has incremental cost to them.. the fact that you have one extra sku means you have one more item to forecast, source, qa, train and support.

it is far cheaper to make every car the same unless the costs above is less than the difference of the parts themselves.
This pre-built approach has another benefit: Tesla has a quick fix in the future should SC over-crowding become a problem. It would be really spiffy if cars automagically charged at 72 amps at busy SC'ers to increase throughput by 50%

Reactions: chipmunk

besides just like app store.. who don't you want to upgrade the car over the air? does it feel better not being able to upgrade after you drive it off the lot or through a click of a button

Absolutely. I first encountered this concept back when I was interning at Analog Devices. I was working on the PID constants and feedback loop for a new gyroscope they were developing. They were planning on selling the same piece of hardware at three different costs with three different degrees of accuracy. The only difference? Some would be programmed with less-correct values that would negatively impact performance. It was the first time I'd seen a company actively dumb-down a product with code in order to sell it at a lower price point.

This pre-built approach has another benefit: Tesla has a quick fix in the future should SC over-crowding become a problem. It would be really spiffy if cars automagically charged at 72 amps at busy SC'ers to increase throughput by 50%
Supercharging has nothing to do with the AC chargers. As the option page explains, the higher amp charging capability only comes into play when connected to a high amp J1772 or HPWC.

Reactions: newtman
Although superchargers are really just stacks of onboard chargers placed into cabinets. If these charger stacks are upgraded to 72amp chargers from whatever they are using now they could in theory put out more juice and charge cars faster. (or pairs of cars faster)

Also would probably reduce the cost of a supercharger installation a bit although the faster charge rate would probably require those liquid cooled cables they are testing.

Reactions: chipmunk