Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40kwh Model S canceled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this was true...why doesn't Tesla sell all the CPO 2.x Roadsters as Sports? They'd just need new firmware, and Tesla gets free money. Tesla could even say they upgraded the motor or something.

You'd think they would. But to be a true "sport" they'd also have to install the adjustable suspension and upgrade the wheels. Not sure they think the aftermarket would care about those options. I've always said they should come out with a reasonably priced "sport software upgrade" for say $1-2K. Simple revenue for them and a performance upgrade for Roadster 2.x non-sport cars.

I suspected from the beginning that there wasn't a hardware difference between supercharger capable and non-supercharger capable cars. It was just an opportunity to make additional revenue on the supercharger access.

I similarly suspect there are very minimal if any hardware changes between the 85 and P85.

Been away for a while, so I haven't been reading any car news for about a week. So to see this development, my only response could be:

Hahahahahaha!

I knew the idea of a $57,000 Model S would be nothing but pure fantasy.

Do I get a cookie now?
It would have only been a fantasy if no one was allowed to buy one at that price. Your statement is simply not true. That price has been around for 4 years. Have you ever heard of inflation?

As 40KW reservation holder, I'm obviously pleased. However, I'm not surprised they did not extend or offer a deadline. They had a known number of 40's and made a business/market/financial decision based on that. If they said you have two days to configure or order your car, there would have been a huge inrush of 40's, probably even people who would have ordered a 60 would order a 40 just to upgrade at a later time. Since the margins are probably so thin on the 40's they needed to lock in those numbers, take the hit, and move forward.

I'm waaay surprised at Tesla, shocked, actually that they are essentially putting a 60kw pack and 60kw performance into the 40kw cars. Now it won't be so bad if we need to switch S's. I was not looking forward to the 40KW 0-60 times (most of our streets have 50 or 55mph speed limits).

We've seen this before with the Roadster 2.0 versus the Roadster Sport 2.0. At first Tesla claimed there was a special "hand wound" motor that increased speed but that was later stricken from any marketing materials and all of the techs "in the know" said it was nothing more than a firmware difference between the two cars.

I don't know about motor windings, but Joost told me that the cables from the battery pack are larger in the Roadster Sport. So there are hardware differences.

So Elon talks today about on Bloomberg how the range on the 40kWh car is a terrible thing and that's why they canceled it and then goes and sells a car with that range anyway?

Last edited:
People have ordered it and been waiting months and perhaps year. What would you have him do? Tell that 4% they now have to spend the extra 10k or no car at all?
I think the point was that Elon made a rather ridiculous claim about the 40. Basically he's saying Tesla developed a terrible product, which is a dumb thing to say, and not true anyway. The truth is that probably many people would have loved the 40 performance and range, but it would have had to have been at a lower price point. The 40 was obviously in a no mans land, not enough range for the people who could afford it and too expensive for those, say LEAF owners, who would have been more than happy with the range and performance.

I think the point was that Elon made a rather ridiculous claim about the 40. Basically he's saying Tesla developed a terrible product, which is a dumb thing to say, and not true anyway.

Well remember they didn't develop a 40kWh car. I think Tesla was getting less and less hopeful about the 40kWh car, and with such poor sales they saw an out and took it.

I think the 40kWh was only to hit the magic number of $50k anyway. I never thought Tesla actually wanted to produce that car, but rather felt they needed to. The $50k price point really dragged me in. Then I got dragged up. I don't know if I would have reserved as early as I did without the 40kWh car. I probably would have gotten around to buying one, but it would have been later on.

So then Tesla designed a "bad" product that they never intended to produce. Either way, don't slag your own product. Instead of carrying on about how it was a crippled product simply say demand just wasn't there, and move on. He just didn't come off well taking the tack that he did, at least to me, it was the wrong spin to put on it.