Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

407 ETR Transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mknox - How's the trasnsponder working for you in the rear window?

Well, the second time it didn't work. I just had it lying on the cargo shelf, not actually mounted to the glass. Not sure how much more effort I want to put into this since they've registered my plates and aren't charging me the Video Toll Charge anyway.

Thought I was on to something :frown:

I spoke to 407 customer service on Monday, having received my first billing since picking up the Tesla. They gave me no trouble with reversing the video toll charges and flagging my plates so I don't get hit with VTC's again, but they were quite adamant that the receiver should be placed where they want it placed - even if it didn't work! They are going to send me a new transponder (which also won't work) and like a good Canadian rule follower, I will place it exactly where they want me to, secure in the knowledge that it will be an exercise in futility.

I spoke to 407 customer service on Monday, having received my first billing since picking up the Tesla. They gave me no trouble with reversing the video toll charges and flagging my plates so I don't get hit with VTC's again, but they were quite adamant that the receiver should be placed where they want it placed - even if it didn't work! They are going to send me a new transponder (which also won't work) and like a good Canadian rule follower, I will place it exactly where they want me to, secure in the knowledge that it will be an exercise in futility.

I've had my car for over a year, and had quite a long conversation with them at this time last year. ("What's a Tesla? Who makes it?" and so forth), but they eventually agreed to flag my plates and reverse any Video Toll Charges. No mention in my case of mounting the transponder to the windshield. I've tossed it on to the rear cargo shelf and it works about 80% of the time through the rear glass. A Tesla loaner I used had theirs mounted to the rear glass window.

407 Transponders - any issues?

I was just reading a thread about EZ-Pass transponders in the states and it seems like positioning the device is kind of tricky. Does this apply to 407 transponders? Note the recent posts where at least one guy has even more issues with the new Autopilot windshield.

I don't use the 407 but use a transponder to access the parking lot at work. It's a sticker with a metallic piece inside. Seems like no matter where I place it on the windshield, it just doesn't work. I end up opening the window and placing it in front of the windshield (I didn't stick it yet). This works but is a bit of a pain especially when it's cold out. Has anyone tried sticking these behind the nose cone?

For those of use posting earlier on this thread - any update? And anyone with a P85D try the 407 yet? It would be a good place to try out the acceleration:biggrin:

I travelled a few times on the 407 and no matter where I position the transponder in the front windshield it does not work. I heard that it will work on the upper back window which I will try and let you all know the results.

I gave up a long tome ago guys. As reported here if you call they will flag your account and not share the video toll.

Yeah Jgdixon I recall reading that's what you did... Was planning on calling them this week as well. Seems like the easiest fix.

hemants - my car doesn't have that black dotted area you're mentioning. I know others have found that space works though.

I gave up a long tome ago guys. As reported here if you call they will flag your account and not share the video toll.

The only problem is that if they can't read your plate coming or going, they'll estimate your distance based on some algorithm that looks at your average trip distance or something like that. Has happened to me a couple of times. You may win or you may lose.

- - - Updated - - -

I know others have found that space works though.

In my experience, about 1 time in 5.

The only problem is that if they can't read your plate coming or going...
I know these cars are fast but I didn't know that they can accelerate faster than c!

I am surprised that they are unable to ID your plate. They have a very sophisticated OCR algorithm for doing this that is backed up by people manually reading the photos of the plates. The unreadable plates are extremely few, unless you are doing something to try to block your plate. It is in the 407's best interest not to let anyone slip through since each unbilled trip is lost profits at a gross profit margin of about 100%.

Just picked up a 407 transponder today. Apparently it is a new model that just came out. Did not mount it right away but held it in the corner of upper windshield frame and mirror mount. Worked perfectly, so I mounted it there.

Attachments

• 407TP.jpg
    407TP.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 1,367
Okay, this is just bizarre, and I have no explanation as to why this is happening, but my 407-ETR transponder has started working down in my center console junk bin! It beeps, gives me the green lights and all. It's winter and my pano roof is closed.... besides which I've tried holding it against the pano roof and it didn't work. My only thought is that the angle between the overhead gantry and my transponder might be taking the signal through the driver or passenger door window. Very odd.

IMG_0174.JPG