Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my 3G is really starting to be irritating. I had seven drops with long reconnect times driving between Manitoulin island and Mississauga today. This is more than I've ever had in the last year, and never this many on the same route. Any one else having more drops over the last couple weeks?
Yes. It's like the connection 'crashes' and then takes some time to reconnect. It started for me, right after a recent software update.

Yep, it's gotten worse again, like it was about a year ago. Driving into Hope tonight on the #3 it didn't connect at all until I was at the Supercharger. If it's not happening to LTE then it's probably a good time to do the upgrade. I don't want to go through this again since I bet it's not a priority to Tesla to deal with a Canadian 3G roaming issue.

FYI - I had an email exchange with Tranmare - I mean Ambassador as they just moved to a temporary spot - and they told me that this is apparently fixed in a release last week and people may not be getting it properly due to weak garage Wifi (?) so use just 3G to get the update. Regardless I'll get an update when the car's back in on Friday.

FYI - I had an email exchange with Tranmare - I mean Ambassador as they just moved to a temporary spot - and they told me that this is apparently fixed in a release last week and people may not be getting it properly due to weak garage Wifi (?) so use just 3G to get the update. Regardless I'll get an update when the car's back in on Friday.

No luck (yet) for me. On June 23rd, the Service Center pushed 2.24.78 to my car when it was in for something else, and that's when the terrible 3G dropout trouble began for me. It had always been rock solid for the last 3.5 years. On July 26th, I got 2.28.60 over the air, and the problem persisted. On August 5th, the Service Center pushed 2.28.75 to my car and it is as bad, if not worse than ever. Just today, I had 4 dropouts in about an hour of driving. Each time it took about 10 minutes to come back, so in that hour, I only had about 20 minutes of actual connectivity!

No luck (yet) for me. On June 23rd, the Service Center pushed 2.24.78 to my car when it was in for something else, and that's when the terrible 3G dropout trouble began for me. It had always been rock solid for the last 3.5 years. On July 26th, I got 2.28.60 over the air, and the problem persisted. On August 5th, the Service Center pushed 2.28.75 to my car and it is as bad, if not worse than ever. Just today, I had 4 dropouts in about an hour of driving. Each time it took about 10 minutes to come back, so in that hour, I only had about 20 minutes of actual connectivity!
Not good. Wonder if it's the beginning of the end for 3G? If so, a discounted LTE upgrade should be offered

Not good. Wonder if it's the beginning of the end for 3G? If so, a discounted LTE upgrade should be offered

IMHO, it should be free if Tesla is "abandoning" 3G. Years ago, GM upgraded my OnStar to (then) 2G digital when the old analog cell networks were going away, and just recently a buddy had his Buick upgraded to LTE from 3G, also for free. And not to put too fine a point on another sore issue, my original pre-paid Service Plan did say I was to get free software and hardware upgrades as part of the plan I paid for.