Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

220V Charging at the Cottage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it is economic. A PowerWall will cost over C$4000 and that is before an inverter an installation. And how long can you run on 7kWh? A generator makes much more sense. The math might start to work if the peak to off-peak delta increases from the current $0.09 as you could also use the PowerWall to arb this pricing differential. At current prices you would save about $1/day by charging the battery at night and discharging during the day to offset your peak load - assuming that the local utility let's you do this - does Tor Hydro? But then you run the risk of draining your battery when you would want it fully charged.

At current prices you would save about $1/day by charging the battery at night and discharging during the day to offset your peak load - assuming that the local utility let's you do this - does Tor Hydro? But then you run the risk of draining your battery when you would want it fully charged.

I agree the economics don't make sense, but there is no reason why the utility would prevent you from drawing power in one rate period and consuming it in another. It would all be done behind the meter in the home. I already do this type of thing: I only run my electric water heater during off-peak periods and consume it in all price periods. I charge my Model S in off peak periods and consume most of that energy during on-peak. In summer, I pre-cool the house a bit during off-peak rates and let it "coast through" the higher rate periods. Doing the whole home with a PowerWall-type solution is no different.

..but there is no reason why the utility would prevent you from drawing power in one rate period and consuming it in another.
But then why is it that they wouldn't let you use a GenerLink that you linked to in a previous post - presumably to prevent back feed issues. Isn't it more of a technical issue than a regulatory/philosophical issue?

But then why is it that they wouldn't let you use a GenerLink that you linked to in a previous post - presumably to prevent back feed issues. Isn't it more of a technical issue than a regulatory/philosophical issue?

No, the issue with the GenerLink switch is more of a mechanical one. There is a concern that the weight of a cord hanging from it might put undue stress on the meter base lugs and that, in certain situations, having the meter that much further out of the wall might make it susceptible to damage (i.e. if it was adjacent to a driveway where a car could hit it). Nothing to do with how it operates electrically. Not all utilities share this view. Some may allow it based on the situation, for instance, if the extra depth of the combined meter and device doesn't pose a risk.

In any event, the utility would have to be the one to install it for you. The meter has to be removed so that the device can be installed between the base and the meter. The utility would have to cut the existing meter tamper seal, then re-seal the meter back in place.

I believe Doug & Knox had posted about this a few years back but was wondering if anyone could give me some updated advice. I live in New York and have a cottage in the Peterborough Area. Thinking of taking the P85 up for Thanksgiving this week (first time) and worried about charging when we arrive. I have a 220V outlet in the back of my garage that will not fit my car into. So wondering if there is a safe option for an extension cable of some kind. I will of course monitor the first few charges to make sure there are no issues with the outlet and/or the cable. Is this something that is doable? Any advice?

Port Hope SC open soon.....for next spring open of the cottage?
Eastern Canada Superchargers - Page 277