Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about using a random public outlet in my garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo building that does have mobile chargers, but they're on a different level of our garage from my reserved space and have restrictions (like no charging from 7-9 am) and they are not free, and are sometimes congested. I noticed today that there's an outlet in my garage conveniently located in the parking space right in front of me. While I probably one't use it every day, I might use it in a pinch, maybe for pre conditioning or on very cold winter nights here in Boston? It's probably not going to give me a very fast charge (3 miles per hour?) but it is the closest I can get here to my own private charging port.

I've got a few questions about using this outlet...

1) Is it frowned upon to just plug into a random outlet that's likely paid by the HOA as a common element of the building? I wouldn't mind paying for the usage but obviously it's hard to install a meter at this spot. Am I going to look like a jerk or get in trouble with the HOA if I use it (this is more of an etiquette question).

2) The outlet seems to be about 25 feet from my charging port. I could run a cable over there without getting in anybody's way (I'd just follow the parking line) but I'd need some sort of extension cord. I heard Tesla recommends against this, but is it really so bad in a pinch to plug in via extension cord?

Here's a photo of the space. My current car is the blue Mini. Is it crazy to consider running a cable up and across the I-beam them down? Anybody have any advice about how I might make use of this outlet, and if it's a good idea?

IMG_6448.jpeg

Last edited:
1. Yeah, it's not cool to use other people's power without permission.
2. You actually think no one will notice an extension cord going up in the air and back down?

There also a decent chance that outlet is on a circuit with other things. If the breaker gets blown because you're plugged into it, someone isn't going to be very happy.

1. Yeah, it's not cool to use other people's power without permission.
2. You actually think no one will notice an extension cord going up in the air and back down?

There also a decent chance that outlet is on a circuit with other things. If the breaker gets blown because you're plugged into it, someone isn't going to be very happy.
It's not like I'm at somebody else's house using their outlet... I am a paying member of the HOA. It is a community outlet, not metered to my unit is what I meant to say. I wouldn't think twice about using it to power a vacuum to clean my car or to charge my phone or to run an air compressor for my tires. Obviously charging a car is another story but it's not like I'd be using other people's power. I'd be using the common power for the building which I (in part) pay for as a HOA member and unit owner.

That said I don't wanna do it if it's not cool... I could ask the HOA.

Etiquette aside, what about the technical stuff?

Is charging your laptop in the common conference room or charging your phone in the gym on occasion considered stealing? It seems like a bit of grey area to me.

Let's assume for a moment that the HOA says it's ok as long as I pay for usage and any upgrades to the electricity system. Is it technically feasible to use an outlet 25 feet away? And are there reasonable metering solutions to help me pay my fair share?

If I can't move my parking space closer to the outlet then running a cable that's the most out of people's way is important (seems like above is better than across the floor). I'm less interested in hiding the cable and more interested in doing it in a way that I don't disturb anybody.

There is a "right to charge" law in Boston that prevents the HOA from prohibiting me from setting up my own personal charger at my parking space. All I'd really need to install some sort of extension cable and some sort of metering device. Just not sure if its even possible.

Boston's Right to Charge Law prevents homeowner and
condominium associations from prohibiting or unreasonably restricting owner's rights to
install electric vehicle charging stations in areas in which the owner has exclusive rights of
ownership or use. The law imposes rules and regulations on both owners and associations.
Specifically, owners are required to cover installation costs, ensure that the stations are
installed by licensed contractors or electricians, and confirm that the installations comply
with all applicable health, safety, and land use requirements. In addition, owners are
subject to certain disclosure requirements regarding the existence and costs associated with
electric vehicle charging stations.

Associations are prevented from unreasonably restricting owner's rights to install
electric vehicle charging stations but are permitted to place reasonable restrictions which
do not significantly increase the cost of charging stations, significantly decrease their
efficiency, or effectively prohibit the installation altogether. Associations may require the
submission of applications before installation of electric vehicle charging stations. These
applications must be treated in the same manner as all other applications for architectural
modification to the property, and the applications must be approved if the owner complies
with the association's architectural standards and the requirements of the Right to Charge
Law. Associations are prohibited

Last edited:
While you are waiting for a reply from the HOA you can investigate what would be required to use the Level 2 charging stations in the garage. The cost might be reasonable, only require a smart card or use of a phone app to charge. It is actually good that the Level 2 charging stations in your garage are not free; only those who need to charge will use the charging stations. Hopefully there is not a problem with guests, others using the EV charging spaces for other than charging.

Reactions: J-a-x
Going up and over would be hard without some sort of mounting system. You could go on the floor and just use a cord protector so that there would not be a trip hazard something like thisView attachment 908878
That cord protector is for an office environment where you might run over the power cord with a chair.

You would want to use something like this clam shell cable organizer speed bump.

VEVOR 40.5 in. x 12 in. x 2.2 in. Clamshell Cable Organizer 3-Channel Speed Bump 22,000 lbs. Load Cable Protector Ramp, 1-Pack GXB1000X300X45-3PV0 - The Home Depot

Last edited:
Is charging your laptop in the common conference room or charging your phone in the gym on occasion considered stealing? It seems like a bit of grey area to me.

Let's assume for a moment that the HOA says it's ok as long as I pay for usage and any upgrades to the electricity system. Is it technically feasible to use an outlet 25 feet away? And are there reasonable metering solutions to help me pay my fair share?

If I can't move my parking space closer to the outlet then running a cable that's the most out of people's way is important (seems like above is better than across the floor). I'm less interested in hiding the cable and more interested in doing it in a way that I don't disturb anybody.

There is a "right to charge" law in Boston that prevents the HOA from prohibiting me from setting up my own personal charger at my parking space. All I'd really need to install some sort of extension cable and some sort of metering device. Just not sure if its even possible.

Boston's Right to Charge Law prevents homeowner and
condominium associations from prohibiting or unreasonably restricting owner's rights to
install electric vehicle charging stations in areas in which the owner has exclusive rights of
ownership or use. The law imposes rules and regulations on both owners and associations.
Specifically, owners are required to cover installation costs, ensure that the stations are
installed by licensed contractors or electricians, and confirm that the installations comply
with all applicable health, safety, and land use requirements. In addition, owners are
subject to certain disclosure requirements regarding the existence and costs associated with
electric vehicle charging stations.

Associations are prevented from unreasonably restricting owner's rights to install
electric vehicle charging stations but are permitted to place reasonable restrictions which
do not significantly increase the cost of charging stations, significantly decrease their
efficiency, or effectively prohibit the installation altogether. Associations may require the
submission of applications before installation of electric vehicle charging stations. These
applications must be treated in the same manner as all other applications for architectural
modification to the property, and the applications must be approved if the owner complies
with the association's architectural standards and the requirements of the Right to Charge
Law. Associations are prohibited
You don't have a charging solution. Rationalizing isn't the solution.
Consequently you're still chained to a pump (public charger) just like you still owned an ICE car.
So you just want to be fashionable and get an EV ?
A big part of the advantage of an EV is charging at home.....not so much the green virtue.

My $0.02:

1. Extensions cords should never be used. While it is correct that more often that ot nothing bad happens, they pose a fire risk. The MCU has a temperature sensor in its plug. If, for whatever reason, the outlet gets hot, it will sense it and reduce or cut the power. If you use an extension cord, you only sense the temperature where the MCU plugs into the extension cord, but not at the outlet itself. Again, many people do this and it doesn't automatically result in a fire. If that's how you feel about it, you might as well remove the airbags because I never had an airbag deploy in 35 years of driving, so it must be okay not to have one. In other words, you would be giving up an extra layer of protection.

2. Just because the outlet is publicly accessible doesn't make it right to use it. I'm sure nobody would mind if you use it to vacuum your car or charge your phone. Charging a car, especially on a regular base, is a much heavier use though and you're not paying for the outlet or the energy you use but for a parking spot. You should at least ask whoever is in charge (no pun intended) and get permission.

3. The length of the wire will probably cause quite a voltage drop. In a parking garage there is a good chance that there is already a long distance between the breaker box and the outlet.

4. As others have stated, you probably don't know what the wiring looks like or if there are other loads on the same breaker.

I wouldn't just plug it in and hope everything will be fine. There are way too many variables. But that's just me. You've been informed about the risks, now it's up to you to make a decision.

• Informative
Reactions: danarcha and jcanoe