Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21" Wheel/Rim Damage (crack and leak) - Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that guys who drive Lamborghinis on city streets drive slowly...
A set of wheels for them are upwards of $30k.
I had a cracked wheel that got nicely welded and permanently repaired, with no further issues whatsoever.
I tried the cheaper tires, but they don't survive even the slightest pothole.
The recommended tires are practically steel walled, and help support the weight of a Model S (approx 4,600 lbs)
for less sidewall squeezing (and therefore far less puncturing or cutting).

My best recommendation: get an actual spare wheel and tire, and keep it at home.
When a tire does eventually go out, you won't be totally screwed.
Also, buy one of those heavy-duty tire jacks, and you'll be able to switch out your own tire and wheel easily
and be back on the road quickly, giving you time to buy a new tire and get it put on the wheel.

I owned a wheel repair shop for 10 years before I sold it. With larger wheels there is less rubber between the wheel and the road, thus they bend and crack more often.

Half of that business was repairing bent and cracked wheels. I've personally successfully straightened and welded on thousands of wheels. The other half was powdercoating.

Google "wheel repair near me" My shop is located in Sacramento, Kwicksilver Wheel Repair. New owners would most likley be able to repair the wheel.