Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was told by the Tesla rep that the car assigned to me was already in Birmingham waiting. They would just need to arrange transport.
And later that day got delivery confirmed for the 26th. So I think maybe there was still some UK stock? From some cancelled orders or something?

Don't know why they need 3 weeks to bring the car from Birmignham to Leicester tho :D
Wonder if I can call and ask to pick it up sooner?
Called Tesla and will collect this Saturday instead of home delivery.

Got the VIN and plate.

The VIN says Manufactored around end October 22 / Start November 2022. So for sure a car that was already in the UK (someone cancelled their order or something?)

Got the VIN and plate.

The VIN says Manufactored around end October 22 / Start November 2022. So for sure a car that was already in the UK (someone cancelled their order or something?)
Well to be honest I would decline a car that has a VIN from Q4 2022.

Got the VIN and plate.

There is nothing in the VIN that shows manufacturing date - it shows the model year but that is it. Production of the 23 model year may have started then.
There are websites that can give you an indication of when your car left the factory gate.
Try this one and let us know the answer: Tesla factory build date

Reactions: ringi
When did you order @fshrago? Do you have VIN? Do you have a delivery date? I ordered on June 27, 2023. Today, my delivery date updated from "July-September" to "August 04 - September 28". I am from Israel. Ordered Tesla Model 3 RWD. No VIN yet.
So your car will come from China. Ideally direct from China, but that is not guaranteed.
Just keep an eye on this thread. If you receive a VIN please let me know as this will be an indication that things are happening.
Nothing is on its way to you at present.

Reactions: refaelsh
There is nothing in the VIN that shows manufacturing date - it shows the model year but that is it. Production of the 23 model year may have started then.
There are websites that can give you an indication of when your car left the factory gate.
I also used this website last week. It's accurate. Since my MYP VIN showed it was produced at 5 sept 2022 (CoC) and the tool also said the same date.

Reactions: Mr Miserable
I hope the strike ends soon. I don't want my car to be marinated in sea water stench and have to smell the ocean in the car for the next couple of weeks
These ships are designed and built to transport RoRo cargo, including your car, across the oceans and deliver them in perfect condition. They have succeeded in doing this for many years.
This not a ferry-type operation. The decks are very well ventilated, to maintain acceptable humidity levels and to prevent the build-up or concentration of gases. The decks will be immaculately clean, and your car secured to the deck by lashings. The cars are parked ridiculously close together not to cram as many cars in as they can for profit (although it undoubtedly helps) but to ensure that in the unlikely event of a lashing breaking in heavy weather, the car will not have the space to build up any inertia by being loose. It may damage the surrounding cars but it will not endanger the integrity of the ship's hull by crashing loose around the deck for hours on end.
The ship design means that they have to be very carefully loaded and unloaded to ensure the ship remains in trim.
These ships require professionals to operate and the biggest risk is fire. Fire on new vehicles is not uncommon and generally the source is the battery. (This is ICE cars 12v battery). Your EV has a 12v battery too and so the risk remains. There hasn't been a ship fire yet which has been attributed to EVs. Having said that, if the popular press is to be believed the loss of FELICITY ACE which sank in the Atlantic last year was due to a load of Porsche Taycans that caught fire although there is absolutely no evidence to support that whatsoever.
Update: The crew abandoned the ship. By the time firefighters arrived the ship was well and truly alight and the problem of EV main batteries being hard to extinguish prevented a quick resolution. The view is that the intensity of the fire was exacerbated by EV batteries. The ship sank whilst under tow after the fires were extinguished.

FELICITY ACE.jpg

Last edited:
I also used this website last week. It's accurate. Since my MYP VIN showed it was produced at 5 sept 2022 (CoC) and the tool also said the same date.
In the UK we don't have a CofC that shows date of manufacture.
In the UK the car is registered direct by Tesla and the Form the owner receives (V5) does not show this information.
In the US and some overseas markets the date of manufacture is stamped on the driver's door VIN sticker/plate.

I used that one.

Said similar car VINs:

Manufacturing Dates for VINs close to **my VIN**​

These are the factory gate dates we have for cars close to VIN **my vin**, together with their build codes. While the build codes may be slightly different to the requested VIN, especially with respect to colours, wheels, model variant and battery, other features such as heat pump, radar, USS etc should all be reasonably reflective of the build at the time. You should not rely on this data, it is a guide only.

Manufactured on 01-Nov-2022
Manufactured on 31-Oct-2022
Manufactured on 29-Oct-2022

It's weird i was first told they had no car assigned to me and that there were no shipments planned for Q3 yet, so they couldn't match a car to me for now.

To then a few days later get a car assigned to me, being told it was ready in Birmingham and ready to collect.
But when I run the VIN on that website it says similar VIN's were all manufactured October/November 2022.

So is it possible my car is like a show room car or something?!

I used that one.

Said similar car VINs:

Manufacturing Dates for VINs close to **my VIN**​

These are the factory gate dates we have for cars close to VIN **my vin**, together with their build codes. While the build codes may be slightly different to the requested VIN, especially with respect to colours, wheels, model variant and battery, other features such as heat pump, radar, USS etc should all be reasonably reflective of the build at the time. You should not rely on this data, it is a guide only.

Manufactured on 01-Nov-2022
Manufactured on 29-Oct-2022

It's weird i was first told they had no car assigned to me and that there were no shipments planned for Q3 yet, so they couldn't match a car to me for now.

To then a few days later get a car assigned to me, being told it was ready in Birmingham and ready to collect.
But when I run the VIN on that website it says similar VIN's were all manufactured October/November 2022.

So is it possible my car is like a show room car or something?!
Any UK cars in the batches quoted?
You can safely post your VIN less the last 3 digits and we can compare it with other allocated UK VINs to rule out the block batch number scenario.

In the UK we don't have a CofC that shows date of manufacture.
In the UK the car is registered direct by Tesla and the Form the owner receives (V5) does not show this information.
In the US and some overseas markets the date of manufacture is stamped on the driver's door VIN sticker/plate.
In The Netherlands this form is also not delivered with the car. I did request it at Tesla. They "created" the form and shared it with me. I think all cars do have this form, since it shows every information about it.