Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 X Plain - battery drained to 6% in 7 days - where is vampire drain coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car is in SF Bay Area, I'm away in EU. 7 days in, got notified by Tesla app that it's shutting down sentry mode because battery has hit 6%.

It was 90% when I left. What would caused such a huge vampire drain? Parked in front of house as usual, don't noticed much drain when I'm home. Sentry mode was on, but probably no more foot or car traffic than usual.

The Bay Area was pretty hot the last few days, cabin cooling the cause?

anyway, it's down to 65 miles (6%?), and I still have 4 more days before I'm home. Will it have enough juice for me to drive into garage to charge? Other EV was in garage getting babied while X was out.

Baffled as to the huge drain. Never seen that before on my other Xs.

-ThinkMac-

There might also have been a recent software update causing drain. I left my Model 3 for a couple of hours somewhere recently with both sentry and cabin overheat protection off... no summon, parked in the shade and the temps were in the mid 70's (F). To my amazement, I lost 5-6% in that time

Sentry mode was on
Asked and answered.
but probably no more foot or car traffic than usual.
The amount of alerts/triggers has essentially no effect on the battery drain for sentry mode. A car sitting by itself in the middle of the desert with Sentry on will use essentially the same amount of energy as one parked on a busy street.

Reactions: E90alex
Car is in SF Bay Area, I'm away in EU. 7 days in, got notified by Tesla app that it's shutting down sentry mode because battery has hit 6%.

It was 90% when I left. What would caused such a huge vampire drain? Parked in front of house as usual, don't noticed much drain when I'm home. Sentry mode was on, but probably no more foot or car traffic than usual.

The Bay Area was pretty hot the last few days, cabin cooling the cause?

anyway, it's down to 65 miles (6%?), and I still have 4 more days before I'm home. Will it have enough juice for me to drive into garage to charge? Other EV was in garage getting babied while X was out.

Baffled as to the huge drain. Never seen that before on my other Xs.

-ThinkMac-
The traditional vampires, Cabin Overheat and Sentry Mode, will be disabled when the battery drops to 20%. The only other possible exceptions is anything you might have connected to the always on 12V line (normally used for a brake controller).

Asked and answered.

The amount of alerts/triggers has essentially no effect on the battery drain for sentry mode. A car sitting by itself in the middle of the desert with Sentry on will use essentially the same amount of energy as one parked on a busy street.
Not necessarily true. The vehicle will never sleep if Sentry Mode active, until the battery reaches 20%

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Oh, derp. I must have read this with my eyes closed. Clearly Sentry Mode is the issue. I was under the impression that Sentry uses about 1% per hour... so I'd say you did pretty well to use only 70% of the battery in 7 days (90% down to 20%).
A conservative estimate of sentry power consumption is ~300 watts continuously. So over a full 7 days that adds up to just over 50kwh. Add in any other drains like cabin overheat protection for the first 12 hours of being parked and you're easily in the ballpark of a 90-20% drop in a week on a 100kwh battery.

Good news is the drain should stop now that the battery reached 20% SoC so OP doesn't have to worry about coming home to a fully dead battery.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia