Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Drain of ~8% per day parked at home (no sentry)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone goes through the same when vehicle is in park No features turned on like Sentry, Cabin, using the app etc.

I live in Florida

But usually “Standby” parking if I am park outside with sun directly my usage in 9 hours can be 2.5-3.4%

1.2 between 9:00am-12:00am ( chill in the car for 1 hour during lunch with AC ON ) Then 1-6 Pm can loose another 1.5% in the standby park measurement ( aside from screen time which is AC )

Yesterday when I go home from work (30 miles away Highway only ) I park inside the garage unplugged to just test park drain under shade which I get it still hot.

For 24 hours I noticed 2% but once you check Tessie it shows it actually drained it 30 minutes after I park the vehicle

- would that be the car cooling down the battery and then goes in deep sleep ? I wasn’t there to check if anything turned on or anything

But when it went down the 2% the first 30 minutes after parking it kept the same battery % for the next 24 hours

I’m asking just to make sure it’s normal behavior since I do see people getting 1% average drain /day but of course. It doesn’t really play factor that I drove and parked specially in hot weather

I am guessing the Vehicle when I lock and walk away it would do some work to cool down battery or something

Any input would help!

2k miles 2 months old
My best guess is this was just BMS calibration. Meaning that your car should have been 2% less all along, but it didn't know until it had time to calibrate after the drive completed. If this is happening all the time then I'd be concerned. If it's a one off, or once in a while but only after a drive, then it's probably just BMS calibration.

I am facing similar issues.

Okay, so, I have two Tesla's, A 2020 Model 3 SR+ 19' and a 2021 SRMY. I have noticed that MY SRMY 19' is losing somewhere between 17-22 miles of range as the car is parked overnight. I know this cannot be normal since my SR+ has nowhere this range loss, where I lose maybe 3-4miles. Both cars are parked outside. I did not face this problem last year when I purchased the car in March of 2021(2021 and 2022). The car itself has less than 20k miles.

I have requested several service calls and Tesla has not replied back to me.
It could be your WiFi that’s draining your battery. WiFi or weak WiFi signal will keep your car awake on standby mode. I also noticed when my wife used the car, her profile (that has everything turned on including WiFi ) would keep her settings on until I used the car. It’s been about a week since I narrowed the issue to WiFi and so far zero battery drain.

I am losing between 6-8% of range for every 24hours it sits. Not all the time, but more frequently now. Last night I parked and plugged it in to be charged to 65%. when I drove it late morning (still plugged in) it was down to 61% WTF?
I can drive 32 miles a day and have gone through 15% of the battery. Sometimes I hear the fan under frunk (assume heat pump) running while parked. I turned off the 'maintain cabin temp' so it's not trying to cool the cabin.
anyone else experience this?

I am losing between 6-8% of range for every 24hours it sits. Not all the time, but more frequently now. Last night I parked and plugged it in to be charged to 65%. when I drove it late morning (still plugged in) it was down to 61% WTF?
I can drive 32 miles a day and have gone through 15% of the battery. Sometimes I hear the fan under frunk (assume heat pump) running while parked. I turned off the 'maintain cabin temp' so it's not trying to cool the cabin.
This type of problem can sometimes be traced to a bad passive restraint (seat belt) seat sensor. Other times this has been traced to an HVAC blower motor sensor issue.

What happens as far as phantom drain if you turn off the Climate Control system before exiting the Tesla Model Y?

I see the issue if the car not sleeping as the main issue in this thread. Not sleeping or sentry on cause about the it to draw about the same power.

Theres another thing during winter time that might make it look about the same, and might cause confusion if 3-5% or so is lost on the screen.

If the car is outside in the cold (also maybe in a cold, not heated/insulated garage), and there was several hours since the charge finished the car will display a lower SOC than the true SOC. This is a active choise by Tesla, the BMS still measures the correct SOC but the car displays a little less (1-5% or so, depending on how cold the battery is).
When the battery has cooled, the car shows the lower SOC but the app shows the difference as a blue part of the otherwise green state-of-charge line.

The blue part can be seen here: in this case only one percent or so.
IMG_5920.jpeg

My car is currently in the (heated) garage with a cell temp of 10C, and for example teslafi shows both the real and the cold battery SOC:
The car displays 54% but the energy stored is 55%, so warning the batt would show 55% again.
IMG_6027.jpeg