Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X (Plaid) Energy Graph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, what do you mean by “wheel alignment due to what I think is excessive energy consumption”?

I had to get an alignment also as my 22 X started to randomly vibrate above 125km/h and I also noticed excessive energy usage for all kinds of trips. Ie 30-50% more than it should have used.
I have no vibration at all, the car even drives perfectly straight. But it is consuming far more energy than I think it should. More than my former 2018 consumed. That should not be the case, given all the efficiency improvements over the last four years.

What are your typical average Wh/mi numbers?
At 55-60 mph, it is usually 300 to 330 wh/mil. On my former 2018, I could easily get down to 270 or less. Given that the 2022 is supposed to much more efficient, I should be doing much better. So I am now asking the SC to double check my wheel alignment, and fix, if it is not dead on.

Hopefully the tech is more on the ball than the Service Advisor. His first question when I dropped off the vehicle, “how could wheel alignment have any effect on energy consumption?” <sigh>

Last edited:
Reactions: AudreyHTX1
On my new LR just under 350 Wh/mi is pretty common at the higher speeds.
It’s rated by EPA for 347 Wh/mi highway driving, so that seems consistent.
A couple of recent trips* I did get under 300 Wh/mi. I was probably driving no more than 65 mph on the highways and there very little wind.

*Example: Recent trip out to SpaceX plus a few other stops on the way back - 189 miles, 283 Wh/mi. Approx 80% of it was on interstate, driving around 67mph. Was already 100F by noon.

But when I look at energy used since delivery in June - around 1000 miles - I see 340 Wh/mi.

Last edited:
I have no vibration at all, the car even drives perfectly straight. But it is consuming far more energy than I think it should. More than my former 2018 consumed. That should not be the case, given all the efficiency improvements over the last four years.
I’m having the exact same concerns. I’m using wayyyy more energy than expectations. I had a 1st gen X for 5 years and I could easily get 320wh/mile. My new lr 22 x, I’m lucky to get 375wh/mile.

I’m having the exact same concerns. I’m using wayyyy more energy than expectations. I had a 1st gen X for 5 years and I could easily get 320wh/mile. My new lr 22 x, I’m lucky to get 375wh/mile.
Did you have 22-inch wheels on your old X? I had a set on my 2018 for a season, and took them off and sold them. They were a tremendous energy suck.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I also noticed the Energy Display has disappeared completely in 2022.20.5. Prior to this software version, the Energy display was not found in the menu, but could be accessed through the voice command.

I'll chime in regarding energy consumption on my 22 MX Plaid. Driving on the freeway at avg 65-75MPH, I consistently get about 70-75 miles of actual distance traveled, per 100 miles of range consumed. I see 340-355 Wh/mi Avg energy usage recorded on the trips display.

For comparison, my MX 75D shows similar energy consumption (340-355 Wh/mi Avg) and the actual distance traveled vs miles of range used matches within 10-15% (actual distance traveled 85-90miles vs 100miles of range consumed)

What have you seen on your MX Plaids?

It doesn’t seem right that both cars report the same energy use rate: 340-355 Wh/mi, when the 75D was getting 85-90 miles driven vs 100 miles of range consumed, yet the Model X Plaid is only getting 70-75 miles driven versus 100 miles of range consumed. How is that possible?

The combined (highway and city) energy use for a Plaid Model X with 22” wheels should be more like 370 Wh/mi on average according to the EPA ratings I had linked above, 359 Wh/mi city and 383 Wh/mi highway.

Last edited:
It doesn’t seem right that both cars report the same energy use rate: 340-355 Wh/mi, when the 75D was getting 85-90 miles driven vs 100 miles of range consumed, yet the Model X Plaid is only getting 70-75 miles driven versus 100 miles of range consumed. How is that possible?

The combined (highway and city) energy use for a Plaid Model X with 22” wheels should be more like 370 Wh/mi on average according to the EPA ratings I had linked above, 359 Wh/mi city and 383 Wh/mi highway.
Indeed it is bewildering. According to the EPA web site, the 2022 MXP is more efficient compared to the 2018 MX75D.
I hope more MXP drivers can chime in with their experiences.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 18-28-16 Compare Side-by-Side.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-26 at 18-28-16 Compare Side-by-Side.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 127
Thanks. Well they do give similar Wh/mi. I must be missing something…….
'18 MX 75D Vs '22 MX Plaid
36 kWh/100mi Vs 34 kWh/100mi
93 MPGe Vs 98 MPGe

It appears the '22 is rated more efficient by the EPA, even with the significant HP increase. Meaning Tesla has improved the motors' efficiency by a huge amount. I am devising a format to track the history of how efficient the actual range burn rate is.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Yeah, I’ve been busy tracking how much range is used compared to miles reported driven in the trip display. It can be a lot more, or sometimes it’s very close.

I also have to take into account how much range is burned at a stop. This info is not reported anywhere and is highly variable.

So I take photos of the dash display which shows miles range remaining, time and temp when leaving and arriving at each location. And I take a photo of the trip display at each arrival.

Great info. Here is an initial draft of how I am planning on tracking each trip.

Start miles End miles Trip Data Miles
odometer : range odo : range Ttl energy : Avg energy actual trip : disp range actual miles driven/disp range used

In this one short trip mostly freeway at 70-75MPH, the (actual distance traveled / range consumed) = 68.89%
Meaning the vehicle can traverse 68.89 miles for every 100 displayed range miles consumed.

More data with many trips over time should produce an average of what can realistically be expected out of the 333 miles of displayed range at full charge.
I certainly hope it will be better than the meager 69%.

Attachments

• TMXP range history - Sheet1.pdf
    33.9 KB · Views: 71
Hey everyone, New to the Tesla world. Our 2022 Model X Plaid finally arrived in June. I don’t understand the obsession with the energy chart. The car tells me the range remaining. I’m not going to alter my speed on the interstate because of wind. I’m going to set the cruise the speed I want and I’ll charge when I need to.

Maybe I’m missing something. I’d love to hear the logic reason to alter your driving to achieve better mileage. I also find that the range is pretty darn accurate. I live on the east coast of Florida. Had a trip to St. Petersburg this past weekend which was 122 miles. Charged to 100% the night before, did the round trip, 244 miles and had 9% when I got back home. AC on, seat AC on, phone Bluetooth playing music, and 96 degrees out. Also drove 80 mph when traffic aloud.

That‘s pretty good to me.

At 55-60 mph, it is usually 300 to 330 wh/mil. On my former 2018, I could easily get down to 270 or less. Given that the 2022 is supposed to much more efficient, I should be doing much better. So I am now asking the SC to double check my wheel alignment, and fix, if it is not dead on.

Hopefully the tech is more on the ball than the Service Advisor. His first question when I dropped off the vehicle, “how could wheel alignment have any effect on energy consumption?” <sigh>

My P85DL was typically 260 to 280 wh / mile going to or from Merced to work in San Jose (131 miles). Rated on the P85D is 310 wh / mile and I consistently did way better than rated. My typical drive to or from work on my new MXP, which I've only done twice, has been in the 300 wh / mile range but rated on the MXP is better than the P85D at 291 wh / mile. If it was relative to the P85D, I'd be getting 240 to 260 wh / mile in my X Plaid.