Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 versus 2021 S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for a subject that has probably been addressed many times. perhaps there is a link to the info?

I have my eyes on two different cars, a 2020 Model S (performance) versus a 2021 S (long range). I have read often that all(?) of the 21's are "refreshed" or is there a cut off date where some 21's are not refreshed?

Anyway, please remind me of why the refresh is superior and worth more money than the 20? The 21 costs a few thousand dollars more so wonder whether the refresh is worthy.

thanks,

J

There are important nuances in the refresh, between what I call refresh 2.0 to 4.0.

The refresh 2.0 21's may have radar and def USS, but old lights, trim bar, no tilting center screen, inadequate storage to play Steam games, no CCS port to name a few.

For most, the old lights are a problem. The rest not so much.

Reactions: Nickos
no CCS port to name a few.

Ha! So I’m sitting in the car, read this and thought .. “Did I miss that?” Pressed Software - Addt’l Vehicle Information … and sure enough, see “CCS Adapter Support: Not Installed.”

Then I see “Cabin Heater: Resistive” And “Processor: Intel Atom”

No, dummy, you’re sitting in the Model 3. 🤣🤣 Forgot which car I was in! The steering wheel gives it away.

I’ll double check the ‘21 S when I get home but I’m 99% sure it does CCS just fine. :)

Sorry for a subject that has probably been addressed many times. perhaps there is a link to the info?

I have my eyes on two different cars, a 2020 Model S (performance) versus a 2021 S (long range). I have read often that all(?) of the 21's are "refreshed" or is there a cut off date where some 21's are not refreshed?

Anyway, please remind me of why the refresh is superior and worth more money than the 20? The 21 costs a few thousand dollars more so wonder whether the refresh is worthy.

thanks,

J
Better GUI
Horizontal front screen for better mapping and entertainment
New chips/faster processing
Quieter/better sound proofing
Better adaptive suspension
Faster and more power
Far better range
Wider body and stability
Rear screen
Front and rear door pickets
Front and rear wireless chargers
Electronic P R N D swipe/auto detection
HW4.0 Vs 2.0
Overall interior much more elegant/premium
…there are also numerous hidden improvements in manufacturing

Better GUI
Horizontal front screen for better mapping and entertainment
New chips/faster processing
Quieter/better sound proofing
Better adaptive suspension
Faster and more power
Far better range
Wider body and stability
Rear screen
Front and rear door pickets
Front and rear wireless chargers
Electronic P R N D swipe/auto detection
HW4.0 Vs 2.0
Overall interior much more elegant/premium
…there are also numerous hidden improvements in manufacturing
well, that's clearly the winner. any negatives? :)

well, that's clearly the winner. any negatives? :)
Pre 2019 positives not found on refresh:

Panoramic sunroof (not 2019 Raven/2020)…2018 yes.
Customizable front display Vs refresh is not.
245/45/19 rim/tires so much cheaper to replace (21” is 245/265 35 staggered…still cheaper than 265/285 or 275/295 combo on refresh).
Proper stalks for gear and signaling rather than electronic signal buttons that move position
Horn on wheel rather than some ridiculous button
1 added side space pocket in rear trunk
Slightly larger frunk than in refresh.
Some say the comfort of the adaptive suspension on the 2019/2020 models is better than the refresh. Anecdotal.

Reactions: Sohoprom