Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2020 (early raven) service estimate questions (CCS Adaptor retrofit + other)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joshhidley

Supporting Member
Nov 23, 2022
California
I thought the CSS retrofit was supposed to be free for my year, but I’m not sure where I heard that. Maybe I was wrong? The estimate from Tesla service is $450 (but was originally $0, so maybe I was right?). Besides the free vs. $450 question, is there anything else I should know about this upgrade?

Also, my fender cameras are loose; they jiggle a little when I clean them. My FSD works fine. Estimate for that: $384

Also, I’m getting a once-over since I recently purchased it and am going on a roadtrip. Estimate: $216

What do you think?

CCS retrofit is not free. Never has been, for any year or model. $450 includes the adapter and a new charge port ECU.

The fender cam housings are ALL slightly loose/jiggly, at least all the ones I’ve ever come across. Working as designed. I would not spend $400 to address as the replacements will be exactly the same.

Inspection for $200, sure given the car is new to you and it might provide some peace of mind.

Upvote 0
They throttled the amperage down to 48 from 80
They shouldn’t have done this, the two have nothing to do with each other. If you paid for a high amperage charger (72 amps, not 80 in your generation car), have a Gen 2 wall connector that can actually provide that much power, and want the capability back you should bother them until they give it to you. The 72 amp charger is still in your car - they may have inadvertently software limited it to 48.

Upvote 0
Thanks.

I have a friend w a 60/48 amp 220. Would that be enough? What would I look for?
I'll admit upon re-reading I'm not actually sure what you're asking for and wanting to test.

Are you wanting to confirm your car that previously had 72 amp charging capability still does after the CCS upgrade? If so, you'll need to try charging on a level 2 AC charger that can provide MORE than 48 amps.

Upvote 0
I'll admit upon re-reading I'm not actually sure what you're asking for and wanting to test.

Are you wanting to confirm your car that previously had 72 amp charging capability still does after the CCS upgrade? If so, you'll need to try charging on a level 2 AC charger that can provide MORE than 48 amps.
Ok thanks. I think that’s what I was asking.

So I need to find a wall charger or destination charger that has 72 or 80 amps and confirm that my car is accepting that amperage. Then test it after the upgrade. Sound right?

Upvote 0