Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Not impressed with my first Tesla Service Center experience.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I several weeks ago I scheduled several items for service at the Jacksonville Florida Tesla Service center.
List of items:
Battery coolant flush
A/C Desiccant and filter service
MCU Upgrade with FM Module
CCS Retrofit
Over the counter parts (4 ball joints for the rear hatch struts & a Pre-Refresh Model S Nose Cone.)

Its a 3 hour round trip for me to get to the service center. I had to have my wife and toddler follow in our other car as a loaner is not provided. I dropped the car off Wednesday September 13th before noon. I physically showed them on the car the parts I needed so there would be no confusion. I was told I should be able to pick it up Friday afternoon but no later than saturday by noon.

Well as soon as they started working on the car my Tesla app access to the car stopped working. I kinda expected this so I didn't think anything of it until I started getting messages on my phone, but I couldn't read them because whenever I opened the app, clicked on my car, it blocked my access. I could see I had messages, I just couldn't get to them before the app kicked me back to main screen. On Friday at noon, which was the original estimate for completion I gave them a call.

The service advisor said he would go see if my car was ready and to check the Tesla app. I explained I couldn't access messages through the app and to please call me back. He said to give him 30 minutes to figure out what was going on with my car. Around 1pm I still hadn't heard back so I called again, different service technician, same response, he would check on my car and call me back. Well I kept checking the app and finally found if I was super quick I could hit the message tab and get it to open before it booted me back to the main screen sometimes. So I kept doing this until I was able to read the messages, nothing relevant in the messages. So at around 3:30pm I call back for the 3rd time. A different service technician again, this time he kept me on the line while he found out what was going on with my car. He came back on the line and told me my car wasn't ready, it wasn't even being worked on, it was sitting outside, the technician who started the job didn't come in today and the service advisor who my car was assigned to didn't come in today either. He told me he would make sure my car was worked on tomorrow and should be able to have it ready by Saturday at noon.

Well Saturday at noon, car still not ready, still not calling me to update me, still sending me messages through the app even though I told them I wasnt getting them. This time im told car will be ready Monday.

Monday arrives I call and I'm told its ready, I have to get a ride to the service center and I wasn't able to get their until about 4:30pm. Took them a few minutes to find my car and low and behold the over the counter parts arent with it. The service advisor has to go pull them.

I go to drive home and i set up the MCU and notice no FM radio app and my button on the steering wheel to use the mic to say call someone or voice to text now says "connection error please try again". Well it also says there is an update waiting to install, so I figure maybe it will all right itself once I update.

I get home, do the update, nothing. Still no FM radio app still no microphone button. I do a hard reset by holding down the button on the steering wheel, no dice.

I get notice there's ANOTHER update. I'm still holding out home that this will fix it. NOPE.

Today I decided to go ahead and replace the nose cone. LOW AND BEHOLD THEY GAVE ME THE WRONG ONE. I need the one with the sensor mounts and those one he gave me has none.

So at this point they wasted my entire day Friday, my FM radio doesn't work, my microphone button wont connect to take commands, and they gave me the wrong nose cone.

When I spoke to them today they said well just come back in. ITS A 3 HOUR ROUND TRIP! How about you see if you can enable the radio OTA and send a mobile tech out with the right part. The service advisor said he would put in a ticket... And of course I have yet to hear back from them!

So question for you guys, am I wrong for expecting a higher level of customer service? Am I wrong for expecting them to have my car ready when expected or to at least let me know that it wont be? Am I wrong for expecting them to make sure the MCU is updated and everything works before handing it back over to me? Am I wrong for expecting them to provide the right parts after I literally showed them on my car what I need?

I bought my Tesla used. I know if I spent 80-120k on my Tesla and received this kind of service I would be absolutely LIVID.

So question for you guys, am I wrong for expecting a higher level of customer service?
Nope
Am I wrong for expecting them to have my car ready when expected or to at least let me know that it wont be?
Nope
Am I wrong for expecting them to make sure the MCU is updated and everything works before handing it back over to me?
Nope
Am I wrong for expecting them to provide the right parts after I literally showed them on my car what I need?
Nope

Not that not being wrong is going to actually get you anything. Service is not a company priority. Full stop.

well I went back in on Wednesday of last week. The fun continued. Told the service advisor about the mic and radio, returned the wrong part. A tech came got my car was gone about an hour. Brings it back says it’s all set. I go to leave, still no radio! Tech says they only mentioned the mic… so he takes it back and about another hour later brings it back all working. So I was there about 3 hours total, just to get the radio and mic working. So when you consider my drive to and from the service center they wasted about 7 hours of my day off.