Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S DC to DC location and tear down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Has anyone got any diagrams or videos showing access to a 2017 DC to DC converter? I can find loads for the 2012-16 model which is behind the front wheel arch but I believe the 2017 model was moved under the frunk?

I can’t find anything showing the location and need to replace a 40a fuse.

Thanks all for any help.

Hi all. Has anyone got any diagrams or videos showing access to a 2017 DC to DC converter? I can find loads for the 2012-16 model which is behind the front wheel arch but I believe the 2017 model was moved under the frunk?

I can’t find anything showing the location and need to replace a 40a fuse.

Thanks all for any help.
Same issue did you manage to solve yourself?

Yes if you have a look at the other thread linked by someone above you’ll see my efforts were rewarded in the end.

Its a pig to do but doable (just)
Ok I had a look at some other threads gonna give it a go tomorrow, did you end up removing the windscreen wipers and the trim around there to give you more room to get to the 2 bolts which seem to be the pain in the ass to get to?

Also roughly how long did it take you to get the 3 bolts connected to the Dc to Dc converter box off.

My car is already semi stripped so I have some access to the Dc to Dc converter box already. I spoke to somebody from Tesla he said that when they have done it on a road call out in once case before he was able to do it but was a pain in the ass and he made some sort of custom tool to get access to these bolts.

I’d have liked to get that trim off but I couldn’t get my wipers off the splines so I left them and it on.

I managed to get 2 of the 3 bolts off and then bent it forwards enough to get at the back small bolts. These small bolts, you want to use a rachet spanner as you won’t get a socket on it and a normal spanner would be impossible.

I reckon about an hours job. Make sure you get the right one of the fuses (again see my posts on the other thread).

Good luck!

I’d have liked to get that trim off but I couldn’t get my wipers off the splines so I left them and it on.

I managed to get 2 of the 3 bolts off and then bent it forwards enough to get at the back small bolts. These small bolts, you want to use a rachet spanner as you won’t get a socket on it and a normal spanner would be impossible.

I reckon about an hours job. Make sure you get the right one of the fuses (again see my posts on the other thread).

Good luck!
Thanks just read through the whole thread as you recommend, gonna crack on with it tomorrow wish me luck lol.

Good luck!
Thanks managed to get it done car is working fine now thanks for the advice. I managed to not put the dc to dc box back on properly basically only bolted one bolt on to the frame of the car to get to the 2 at the bottom was virtually impossible and I just needed my car back on the road asap haha

But thanks thank God for this forum

Reactions: KalJoMoS

Good luck!
Thanks managed to get it done car is working fine now thanks for the advice. I managed to not put the dc to dc box back on properly basically only bolted one bolt on to the frame of the car to get to the 2 at the bottom was virtually impossible and I just needed my car back on the road asap haha

But thanks thank God for this forum
lol yep, I wonder how many front junction boxes there are which aren't bolted back down properly! Makes it a lot easier for when it goes again (which it will!)

But well done!
Exactly haha thanks though appreciated your advice.