Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on that tweet indicating "news on Sunday" and Sunday correlating with news of quarterly production, I think the surprise is that Tesla has already produced and delivered some Model 3s to employees. I expect a share price jump next week.

The thing as I said, producing and delivering some M3 to employees (like a dozen) isn't really meaningful. Even with a dysfunctional production chain, you could manage to make a dozen of them. Even handmade.

So it'd be better if he says when real production start, with all the elements in place.

GS maintains sell rating, says that stock will sell off into Model 3 reveal. I thought that Elon's tweet would drive the stock today, but now I'm wondering if this might take precedence: Tesla (TSLA) "2Q17 deliveries likely a non-event", Maintain Sell - Goldman Sachs
Nice. This improves my odds of picking up some shares at a good price. I am very optimistic about the news on Sunday. If they had bad news, we wouldn't hear about it until the very end of July, if not later.

Reactions: NicoV
GS maintains sell rating, says that stock will sell off into Model 3 reveal. I thought that Elon's tweet would drive the stock today, but now I'm wondering if this might take precedence: Tesla (TSLA) "2Q17 deliveries likely a non-event", Maintain Sell - Goldman Sachs

The last time Tamberrino affected tsla was when he said to sell at $255 and it fell $10. He was dead wrong, and he's he's made a few updates (like this one) since but they had not effect whatsoever. In fact at around $300 he reiterated his sell call and tsla rose about $10 that day (the Tamberrino tumble).

Be careful, this is Elon time. He said 'a' Sunday, not 'this' Sunday....:D

On a serious note, I expected M3 info to come along the Q2 deliveries (and my thesis: its to cushion less than stellar deliveries, meeting guidance nonetheless)

I would have sold some of my short term position but I know with Elon in charge, its always risky to sell coz he keeps pulling these little tricks which frustrate the shorts to the extreme. The amount of buzz and brand appreciation Tesla (and Elon) have built so far is a lesson for all marketing folks. For me, Elon trumps S.Jobs, and Steve was one helluva marketer.

Note that David Tamberrino is ranked #4432 out of 4600 on Tipranks. Almost every call he makes is wrong and by now everyone knows it. His call has had no effect in the pre-market. Extremely embarrassing for Goldman Sachs, being this wrong (and ingnored) on a high profile name like Tesla.
or... in a world where everyone likes to hear what they want to hear... Tamberrino is to Barron as CNN is to Fox News.

The thing as I said, producing and delivering some M3 to employees (like a dozen) isn't really meaningful. Even with a dysfunctional production chain, you could manage to make a dozen of them. Even handmade.

So it'd be better if he says when real production start, with all the elements in place.

Agree it's not meaningful in that it doesn't really affect the economics of the company.

However, it's symbolic and has an emotional impact in that the car is starting to roll off the line. Not in Fall, not in 2018, and not 'late as usual' as many predicted (and many still expect).

Reactions: neroden
Be careful, this is Elon time. He said 'a' Sunday, not 'this' Sunday....:D

On a serious note, I expected M3 info to come along the Q2 deliveries (and my thesis: its to cushion less than stellar deliveries, meeting guidance nonetheless)

I would have sold some of my short term position but I know with Elon in charge, its always risky to sell coz he keeps pulling these little tricks which frustrate the shorts to the extreme. The amount of buzz and brand appreciation Tesla (and Elon) have built so far is a lesson for all marketing folks. For me, Elon trumps S.Jobs, and Steve was one helluva marketer.
I'm wondering if you are correct and Elon is going to announce some M3 stuff to cushion the Q2 delivery numbers. It sounds to me like this is the announcement of when the M3 reveal will happen. I expect the stock to respond positively today but how high depends upon the markets too. Seems smarter to play a positive bump from this as opposed to speculating that the delivery numbers aren't so hot and play it accordingly. With the lighter volumes expected today and Monday, I'm not sure how this will really play out. Can the shorts afford vacations this summer??

I'm wondering if you are correct and Elon is going to announce some M3 stuff to cushion the Q2 delivery numbers. It sounds to me like this is the announcement of when the M3 reveal will happen. I expect the stock to respond positively today but how high depends upon the markets too. Seems smarter to play a positive bump from this as opposed to speculating that the delivery numbers aren't so hot and play it accordingly. With the lighter volumes expected today and Monday, I'm not sure how this will really play out. Can the shorts afford vacations this summer??

I'll just say this: I think a beat of guidance is possible, on-par with guidance is possible, and slightly below guidance is possible. Historically, slightly-below guidance affects the stock short term, and it rockets back up. But everyone is looking at Model 3 right now. I don't think the market will care much (or not for long) if they slightly miss guidance, but any good news about Model 3 being imminent will have a definite positive effect on the stock.

So there's a risk of a slight short-term loss, and a similar risk of a more significant, more permanent upward swing. Given those options, I'm personally putting my money on the latter.

Just my thoughts on this next stage of TSLA movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.