Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, but he only talked about AI, and autonomy. Almost nothing on EV's, and absolutely nothing about alien dreadnaught production technology, TE or solar. So he has good points about aI and full autonomy and networked cars (although I think that effects he is expecting are exaggerated), but he's completely missing most of the biggest catalysts!

Jonas along with a number of New York analysts and money managers appear to give more credence than I would to nearly total reliance on ride sharing in the fairly near future. Within large cities, and New York in particular, automobile ownership may make little sense. This could be affecting the perspective of financial experts in Manhattan. But elsewhere I suspect that a great many people will want to maintain the pride and independence allowed them by owning a car, even if it mostly drives itself. Automakers may need to continue considering the transportation needs of both types. So should stock market analysts.

Jonas along with a number of New York analysts and money managers appear to give more credence than I would to nearly total reliance on ride sharing in the fairly near future. Within large cities, and New York in particular, automobile ownership may make little sense. This could be affecting the perspective of financial experts in Manhattan. But elsewhere I suspect that a great many people will want to maintain the pride and independence allowed them by owning a car, even if it mostly drives itself. Automakers may need to continue considering the transportation needs of both types. So should stock market analysts.
Agree totally. Here in Holland, MI (pop 34k, urban 99k) I think there are two taxis and a half a dozen buses. Not two taxi companies, two literal taxis.

Sorry to be off topic but TSLA price was up yet again against widespread downturn for the general market. Assuming the market comes up tomorrow do we expect TSLA to maintain its very strong momentum?

The market is very very hard to predict short term. All I can say is that Tesla is on a strong positive trend. So I guess it wouldn't matter that much. And if it does, it would only for a few days.

Manhattan makes up for 100 Holland, MI. Also, ubiquity is not required for fantastic value.

And there are hundreds of Hollands and thousands of smaller towns. I live in Chicagoland, but 55 miles northwest of the central city in a village of 6,000. No taxis, no buses, no trains. It's quite different from when I lived in Chicago as a kid. As I earlier suggested, automakers really should continue considering the transportation needs of both those who do not want to own cars and those who do.

Hilarious bear fail of the day. :)

IMG_8872.PNG

No, the big shorts (Jim Chanos ...), are fundamentalists and financial people. They only look at the raw accounting numbers. They don't care about the price and they know that a price can be irrational for a very long time. Everytime the stock goes up it hurts but they only think the bubble is getting bigger and bigger.

So, knowing that, what is going to trick a short squeeze ? I'd say 3 things :

- 1. How many products does the company is SELLING. Not " going to sell ", they don't care. Remember : accounting. So they only look at the balance sheet and income statement. There is no " going to " on an income statement.

- 2. What are the profits and margins on the products selling, and what is the growth over time of the number of products sold.

- 3. How do the competitors respond.

According to those criterias,the 3 major milestone that going to blow the shorts are those ones :

- When the first statements of M3 sold will appear.

- When Tesla will see a profit

- When competitors don't have any significant impact

Should have been a little more specific. A huge *successful* product launch ;)

I realize only sold, production Model 3s driving around can strike fear into the heart of shorts. Fingers crossed...

Should have been a little more specific. A huge *successful* product launch ;)

I realize only sold, production Model 3s driving around can strike fear into the heart of shorts. Fingers crossed...

Its not enough, it needs to be profitable as well. I have no doubts based on everything I have seen, but I should would like to see in the financials. I think anything over 9% GM on 3 for this year and growing to 20%+ EOY 2018 at closer to full speed production. I dont see much of anything standing in the way for the second goal, its just getting there from here that could have some hiccups with suppliers and production adjustments. I think they are not risking anything and keeping everything as simple as possible as compared to the X, which was the opposite.

Trimmed my position by selling 30% of TSLA today. My rationale, and this is just me, is having learned a few lessons back when similar opportunity presented itself and I did not take profits.

So, my main points in doing this:
- needed the funds for an important life purchase and savor those gains
- run-up is getting too good too fast
- still have 70% skin in case run up continues

Not an advice, just sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.