Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model S Refresh Mega-thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm strongly considering converting my purchase into a lease given the rapidity of all these changes! Wasn't even considering it but when you look at what a Model S was 3 years ago? I think the itch will be too strong 3 years from now!
No question about it! I have paid for 4G and Ludricous upgrades for my Dec 2014 P85D. If a battery of, say, 120 kWh happens I might even switch. So far I'm blown away with his much my car has improved and continues to improve.

Even so I wonder when something might happen that will make me decide to trade up. As it is I've had my S fir longer than most card I have had. I may just keep it. It still is sooo exciting!

Back in 2013 when the HPWC was twice the price of a 2nd mobile charger (something like $1200 vs $600 back then)... I could see people's argument that it wasn't worth the investment for a HPWC. However, looking at Tesla's site today, the HPWC is only $100 more ($750 vs $650). Since you need the HPWC to utilize the full 48 amps, seems like a no brainier to me to get the HPWC (presuming someone is getting a 2nd charger to begin with).

Reactions: Andyw2100
I guess anyone who values the purse slot needs to have already placed their order. I suppose if you call up desperately requesting the old interior design they might be able to put you in the slot for someone who switched to the newer interior...

It's a pity they're introducing a spacewaster center console, and it isn't optional. Maybe the fad for these things will go away in a few years.

Reactions: AlanSqB
This may have been mentioned, but the standard features lists "Automatic rear liftgate" and the premium package says "Power read liftgate". How is it automatic if not powered?
Automatic could mean it pops up via fob or dash button.

Powered means it uses a motor to lower and latch with the push of a button. Usually SUVs have powered rear hatches, but sedans require manual close.

Hydraulic?

That's still powered - just not electric power (and given the hydraulic source would have to come from an electrically driven pump, the distinction ends up being pretty subtle.

My bet is it's an editing error and they'll be removing it from one or the other once they figure it out. (Both fairly obvious errors to make, since that automatic verbiage is in the X screen, and the Power version is unchanged from past Premium language.)
Walter

I guess anyone who values the purse slot needs to have already placed their order. I suppose if you call up desperately requesting the old interior design they might be able to put you in the slot for someone who switched to the newer interior...

It's a pity they're introducing a spacewaster center console, and it isn't optional. Maybe the fad for these things will go away in a few years.
It's useful to periodically compare what you have with what you could trade in for. With today's changes, the list for me looks something like this for "new"...

Current: Dec 2014 P85D
Trade-In: 2016 P90D with refresh

PRO
- "mileage reset" vs. current car
- HEPA filter / Bioweapon Defense Mode
- new headlights functionally better
- Slipstream Wheels available
- Deep Blue Metallic available
- Subzero now has heated steering wheel
- new Ash interior option available- market value of new nose
- 48A AC charging standard (> 40A)

CON
- 72A AC charging limit (< 80A)
- non-optional center console
- rear NG seats not available
- no inventory cars available
- ? access to 12V terminals
- ? access to tow hook install point
- more expensive repairs for nose damage
- nose only looks good in darker colors (gut reaction)
- new headlights don't look as good when parked

I find it remarkable (but sad) that the CON list keeps growing.

Reactions: Canuck
I'm hoping against the odds for a bioweapon air filter retrofit. Local service center did not have info yet. If anyone else learns of this, please let us know.

I have my doubts about it - I'm still trying to figure out how they jammed the sort of massive filters they showed at the X unveiling without a massive reduction in Frunk space. (OTOH, I doubt they've changed much structure, so the parts might fit...)