Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 P85+ with 20k miles or Inventory 70D with 2k miles...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
***Update***

In case anyone else is in a similar situation, I figured I would post a update on my decision making process.

I ended up leasing a new (inventory) 70D. It is about the most basic model you can get, with the addition of next-gen seats. About 2 weeks after I got it, I noticed that the rear view mirror was not dimming so they gave me a P85 Plus loaner while they worked on it. Talk about a good series of events to show me if I made the right decision!

Bottom line, I am very very happy that I chose the leased 70D. Here are my pros and cons of the decision:

Pros
- The next-gen seats are a BIG deal, in my eyes. They are much more comfortable than the standard seats and kind of "hug" you while you are driving.
- The AWD is really nice, but I didn't realize it until I drove the P85+. It is basically impossible for me to burn out with my AWD. The RWD in the P85+ is very easy to do and it gets pretty squirrely when you take off around a turn. I understand that some people like this feel, but honestly, it is just too dangerous for me and not that important.
- The simplest thing that makes a big difference for me is the autopilot tech. I do not have autopilot enabled and I do not plan on it. However, having and using the tech as a byproduct is awesome. For example, the front camera in the 70D can be used for a multiple of purposes that are not autopilot. The front camera sees the speed limit signs as they change and notifies you on your dash. It also adds a little tick mark to your speedometer to tell you what the current speed limit is. This may not seem like a big deal, but you definitely miss it once it is no longer there! The front camera also helps with proximity when pulling into parking spaces.
- Leasing write off: I have a small business, so this write off will save me a lot of money.

Cons:
- The P85+ is definitely faster. There is a bit more thrill with this car, but honestly, after a few pedal to the metal good times, it isn't that big of a deal.
- Battery: Yes, the bigger battery is very nice. However, if you are traveling across the county (which is what I did when I picked up my 70D in Cleveland and drove it to South Carolina), you need to stop every 2 hours of so anyway to "fill up" at a super charger. Unless you want to risk skipping a charging station to make slightly better time, you will be stopping every 2 hours regardless of your battery size.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar predicament!

OSUMARTZ, you must have 19" tires "pretty squirrely when you take off around a turn"
21" tires do not act like that.

What is the different between P85+ and P85 anyways?

You shall wait when the X arrived and buy 70D as inventory vehicle.

It is a difficult choice. Good luck! It would be so much easier to experience both options for a couple days before pulling the trigger.

This is true Vgsllc1. My 70D has 19" tires and the P85+ had 21". Honestly, I would not want 21"ers. Ya they look cool, but having to change tires every 6K miles instead of 25k miles seems ridiculous. Even if you have a ton of money, it would be a pain to take it in so often. I am surprised that the 21s would act that much differently pealing out compared to the 19s, but I guess its possible. I just attributed it to the AWD vs RWD.

I think the P85+ just has a few more options and a little more pickup than the P85.

I think the X will be cool, but it's kind of lame IMO that only the back doors are falcon doors. Unless you use the back doors often, you won't be showing off its coolest feature very much.

Option 2.

1) New car with full warranty
2) Tax credit eligible
3) Lower miles
4) AWD
5) Lower cost to replace tires
6) Probably more comfortable due to 19 inch rims

I am sure there are other pros for Option 2. Just too lazy to think about it right now.

All good points but if you want more 0-60 you have to go with a P85 (my purchase choice) which I prefer over a "+" due to staggered tires (can't rotate) and rougher ride IMO.

I agree with the OP's decision for all the rational parameters. Nobody "needs" the emotional rush of the P85+ and the 70D is going to be a better safe and functional road car with the AWD system and the more recent tech upgrades. The 70D is what I regularly suggest to others who ask questions about my car and Tesla in general.

Saying that.....I sold my 2013 S85 and migrated to the P85D and I am first or second on the Rocklin SC list to upgrade to "ludicrous." Nobody said we all had to be..."rational."

Totally makes sense to me to go with the car that could be leased and thereby save some coins.

I must say that the P85+ threads/comments lately have me a bit envious. It sounds like that car really hit a sweet note for many of y'all. It's especially understandable given that Tesla hasn't made good on the AP stuff. As we approach a year of AP without full functionality it makes the trade-offs of "upgrading" less clear.

I have yet to test drive P85D
However, non of the "regular" 85s, including P85 and 85D, provided the same level of driving experience as P85+
It is a perfect combination between comfort, performance and surefootedness
Fitted with staggered 20inch PSS wheels, it takes it to another level

P85+ is the one that drives like a true sports sedan. Non-P and non-+ are more luxury sedans. What color and options available on these two choices can be important to.

Except many people are perfectly happy with the 19" wheels as they offer more range, better protection of road debris/potholes, more durability and longer tread life, along with better comfort. I've tried both and I consider the 19" wheels to be the perfect balance between comfort, handling, and practicality for my needs.

I realize some people like the 21" wheels and that's is great but personally for the reasons I listed I would not want the 21" wheels even if they came as a "free" upgrade.

Totally makes sense to me to go with the car that could be leased and thereby save some coins.

I must say that the P85+ threads/comments lately have me a bit envious. It sounds like that car really hit a sweet note for many of y'all. It's especially understandable given that Tesla hasn't made good on the AP stuff. As we approach a year of AP without full functionality it makes the trade-offs of "upgrading" less clear.
My P85D was in the SC getting an LTE upgrade yesterday and they gave me a nearly new (3800 miles, less than on my car) P85+ as a loaner. The P85+ is a very nice ride, especially if one wants a bit of the traditional tail-wagging of RWD high-powered cars. It was odd today when i drove off with my own car, 19" wheels BTW, and felt as though I had moved forward a full generation in balance, control and features. I really missed TACC and the incredible balance of the D's (I have driven 70D, 85D as well, they all have that balance) that simply are wonderful, especially on uneven surfaces, in the wet or slippery surfaces.

In short, I would choose any D over a non-D, even if I had to sacrifice a little range to do it, but I'd try as hard as possible to get the largest battery I could afford. Still, if I could not afford the larger battery I can say the range is much better than rated range if you can control your urges when you need range and drive a steady 60mph/100kph. I cannot do that on my own, but I can survive it with cruise control. At a steady 60mph my P85D averages 230 wpm in 80F weather, level roads. a 70D will probably do better.

Option 2 and I own a 2014 P85+. Now, I LOVE my car and have had no real problems aside from a few nitpicks. But the newer the car, the better built they are. I got a VIN 10XXX as a loaner. I have 51XXX, as below. The fit, finish, road noise, everything...is better on my car.

Option 2 and I own a 2014 P85+. Now, I LOVE my car and have had no real problems aside from a few nitpicks. But the newer the car, the better built they are. I got a VIN 10XXX as a loaner. I have 51XXX, as below. The fit, finish, road noise, everything...is better on my car.

Mebbe so, mebbe so, but some of us obviously are not as "nit"picky as others. I have an S85 built in the first 100. It had issues. They were fixed. Fit and finish are hard to quantify, though: Is a gap of 5/8" bad, but 1/2" OK? Where do you draw the line? Where do I draw the line.

I think I would also question the concern about mileage on a car. When we grew up with gas cars whirring and grinding their innards away, it made sense to think that a car with 100,000 miles might be worse than one with 20,000. But that metric is not the same with electrics. Tesla says "Eight years and infinite miles. So a Tesla with 100,000 miles would be the same as a gas car with, let's say, 10,000 miles. With an electric, it's AGE, not miles. And then, end of useful life, the battery can be traded up, for maybe 20% more range, for a third of the price, and your car is good to go again. If the owner has taken good care of the shell, the drive train should make the car last a long, long time.

Mebbe so, mebbe so, but some of us obviously are not as "nit"picky as others. I have an S85 built in the first 100. It had issues. They were fixed. Fit and finish are hard to quantify, though: Is a gap of 5/8" bad, but 1/2" OK? Where do you draw the line? Where do I draw the line.

I think I would also question the concern about mileage on a car. When we grew up with gas cars whirring and grinding their innards away, it made sense to think that a car with 100,000 miles might be worse than one with 20,000. But that metric is not the same with electrics. Tesla says "Eight years and infinite miles. So a Tesla with 100,000 miles would be the same as a gas car with, let's say, 10,000 miles. With an electric, it's AGE, not miles. And then, end of useful life, the battery can be traded up, for maybe 20% more range, for a third of the price, and your car is good to go again. If the owner has taken good care of the shell, the drive train should make the car last a long, long time.

Then why do they limit the bumper to bumper warranty to 50,000 miles? :) Miles matter and when you sell a used car that is a big factor that determines the value of the car...

Sell the 21" rims for $4K and buy used 19" rims for $1K and pocket the difference and factor that into your total overall cost.

I am actually moving from 21s to 19s on my P85+ after the temperatures drop below 50 degrees. The 21 inch rims with sport tires are useless below 50 degrees and the potholes get pretty bad in the DC area as well. I will move back to 21's in the spring once the temps get above 50 degrees.

Once Tesla figures out how to provide battery upgrades (that are reasonable) that will be a great factor.