Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 12v battery in one word

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok kids, this post is for the 6 of you out there who own a 2013 Tesla Model S. I’ll sum it up for you in one word, if you’re thinking of replacing your 12v battery yourself. DON’T !!!! I got the dash alert that the 12v was getting low, and needed replaced. I read, on here, ‘you may have a week, you may have a month’. WRONG. I thought I’d do it myself, since the videos I saw showed it ‘easy to get to’ right in the middle of the frunk near the windshield. WRONG. I picked up a new battery from Tesla, $177.00, the day after the first alert. Get home, break out the tools, and get after it. To my shock the battery was no where to be found. After removing MOST of the trim, I finally found it, tucked up on the left side, in a tiny compartment, buried under brackets, wires, connectors, cats, dogs, tree branches, nuts, bolts and death. Took quite a while, a lot of foul language, a bit of blood, and wa-la, I got it out. To my surprise, the new battery does NOT come with the posts. You’re ‘supposed’ to use the old ones IF you can get them out of the old battery. Which I couldn’t. This is all within a day or 2 of the first alert. I put the old one back in, so I could close the windows and I WAS planning to take it to the service center today. Got up this morning….DEAD!!!
As in DEAD! ☠️ Took the grill off to jump enough to get to the shop, WRONG!!! No go. Had to call for mobile support. So my advice, unless you’re a mechanic with a 3000 piece Snap-On tool chest, a lot of patience, free time, whiskey, and band aids, just DON’T!!!
You’re welcome.

Sorry you went through all of that on something that could've been both simple & affordable.

As someone who always worked on & modified his own vehicles and wouldn't let anyone else touch them; I have no idea why this 12v battery thing is even a discussion.

I just had one give me the same message on an easier-to-reach 2017 and for me it was a no brainier: pay $238 to push a couple of buttons on my phone to have a magic fairy come and sprinkler some magic dust on the situation? Done.

I take pride in doing everything myself (outside of automotive too) but the juice isn't worth the squeeze on this whole 12v thing. Press a button and go on with life.

I did this on my 2013 this past July after only 3 days of ownership. I tried to use the mobile tech from Tesla, but they are not available in my area. I scheduled it to be replaced at the "local" Tesla service center because I had heard it was a pain and it was super cheap ($180 all in to have them do it including the cost of the battery, wrong!). The estimate to replace the battery was over $560! The battery was only $165, so I cancelled the appointment with the service center and drove 2.5 hours each way to pick up the battery and install it myself. All in, took about 20 minutes to replace. Not as easy as it could have been but it was easy enough. I believe the only tool necessary was a 10mm deep socket and maybe an extension for the ratchet.

I do have a 3000 piece tool set (honestly, probably more than that) and have always worked on my own cars. I was going to have Tesla do it because I read the stories of how it was just under $200 and they would come out to your house and do it. For the extra $30-40 it would be worth it to have someone else do it. For $500+ it's definitely DIYable.

Challenge Accepted. I used to have a 2013 S85. That car was something special.
I've replaced starters. one that was located between twin Merc 502s. buried DEEP in the hull.
I was the only one skinny enough to get in there!
Upside down, 90 degree heat and a dozen disappointed people waiting and I swapped that sucker out.
I fear no 12v! lol

Agreed. The install is very straight forward and requires minimal tools. It sounds like somebody didn't look into what was required before starting the job and wants to complain after the fact.
WRONG. Not on a 2013 Model S!!! My post was NOT to ‘complain’ but to INFORM (and warn) my fellow 2013 TESLA MODEL S owners. The placement of the battery has been moved to a MUCH more user friendly location in most newer models. Maybe read the entire post, and if you DON’T have 2013 TESLA MODEL S, scroll on passed.

WRONG. Not on a 2013 Model S!!! My post was NOT to ‘complain’ but to INFORM (and warn) my fellow 2013 TESLA MODEL S owners. The placement of the battery has been moved to a MUCH more user friendly location in most newer models. Maybe read the entire post, and if you DON’T have 2013 TESLA MODEL S, scroll on passed.
I think your caps lock is broken.

Also, I’ve installed plenty of batteries on all Teslas. Some are more work that others, none are difficult.

Reactions: Smc171
When my 12V needed replacement, I found that the price for having Tesla come to my house and do it was nearly identical to what I would pay for the battery itself so I went that route. In watching and talking to the tech while he was doing the replacement, I would say it is a bit more complicated than it should be but not too hard. The one thing he did say is that they stupidly put a critical circuit board assembly above the battery and one must be careful when moving that out of the way, especially since they are now made of unobtanium due to the age of the cars.
IIRC, it took him no more than 30 minutes and he didn't use anything more than a couple of socket wrenches and possibly a screwdriver. When it dies next time, I will most likely call mobile service again unless the pricing has changed drastically.

Reactions: Smc171 and dsm363