Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any veteran owners out there with older cars Circa 2012 2013 perhaps that can answer this. My car is capable of saving a driver profile and associating it with either key fob one or key fob two, why doesn't it reset itself to that profile when the car sees the key approaching and unlocks?

Tesla Service told me that my car is not capable of setting a driver profile based on an approaching key fob or the key fob used to unlock the vehicle but I wonder whyView attachment 255744 I have the options on my screen
This is odd. I have a 2012 #2647 and it allows driver profiles to be assigned to fobs.

Also, reading this thread has made me really want a signature red with white interior P85 on top of the Roadster I want to own, and I don't want to get rid of my current MS.

I have a problem with collecting things...

Last edited:
This is odd. I have a 2012 #2647 and it allows driver profiles to be assigned to fobs.

Also, reading this thread has made me really want a signature red with white interior P85 on top of the Roadster I want to own, and I don't want to get rid of my current MS.

I have a problem with collecting things...

My 2012 Sig. Allows it also, but it doesn't seem to work. Hmmm?

Well, this is a bummer. Found some screen bubblesast night on Sig 588, which I bought as a CPO in 7/2017.

I imagine this will be covered under warranty, whenever Tesla finds an MCU.

I just let the SC know. We’ll see what they say.

427107DE-7DB0-49ED-BC51-A2156AF4F277.jpeg

Well, this is a bummer. Found some screen bubblesast night on Sig 588, which I bought as a CPO in 7/2017.

I imagine this will be covered under warranty, whenever Tesla finds an MCU.

I just let the SC know. We’ll see what they say.

View attachment 256656

That is a bummer. Had heard much about those bubbles that appear in the screens but had never seen it pictured. Let's hope that is a warrantable item. There was one member on here "as I recall", that had to bite the bullet and buy an MCU out of warranty, as I recall it was north of $2,500

They replaced mine for free under the warranty.

My bubbles started at the 4.5 year mark. The original owner had purchased the ESA which transferred to me when I bought his car. So they were going to charge me the $200 deductible to have it fixed under the ESA. At the same time my streaming music service was horrible so I asked for some relief from the $500 LTE upgrade and they said if I did the LTE, they would waive the $200 deduc. Sort of a "win", but the bubbles came out of nowhere. :eek: One of the problems getting one of the early models I guess. :(

My bubbles started at the 4.5 year mark. The original owner had purchased the ESA which transferred to me when I bought his car. So they were going to charge me the $200 deductible to have it fixed under the ESA. At the same time my streaming music service was horrible so I asked for some relief from the $500 LTE upgrade and they said if I did the LTE, they would waive the $200 deduc. Sort of a "win", but the bubbles came out of nowhere. :eek: One of the problems getting one of the early models I guess. :(

Have you found the LTE upgrade to be worth it? Been contemplating doing that to my Sig. Even though I don't stream music that much seems like maybe it might help the browser??

That or perhaps it might help with reception and keeping an internet connection out in the more rural areas where I am usually located. "out State Arizona" in the weeds out here in the desert.

Have you found the LTE upgrade to be worth it? Been contemplating doing that to my Sig. Even though I don't stream music that much seems like maybe it might help the browser??

That or perhaps it might help with reception and keeping an internet connection out in the more rural areas where I am usually located. "out State Arizona" in the weeds out here in the desert.

It certainly helped. The music loads faster and it only has a delayed loading issue about once month, where before it was having multiple loading issues daily and periodic dead zones. Is it worth $500? That probably depends on your personal thoughts about music drops and delays. I just tell myself it was just a price I was willing to pay even if no one else would.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
SC did not reply to my email about the bubbles on my screen. Will follow up again tomorrow.

I have the LTE upgrade in both my Model S's. It helps a lot with maps loading. I decided to get it after slow loading maps caused me to run into some heavy traffic on the metro Phoenix highways. Had the maps shown me the traffic, I would have saved a lot of time on an alternate route. By the time the maps loaded, I was stuck in the traffic jam and missed my alternate exit. There was no escape.

SC did not reply to my email about the bubbles on my screen. Will follow up again tomorrow.

I have the LTE upgrade in both my Model S's. It helps a lot with maps loading. I decided to get it after slow loading maps caused me to run into some heavy traffic on the metro Phoenix highways. Had the maps shown me the traffic, I would have saved a lot of time on an alternate route. By the time the maps loaded, I was stuck in the traffic jam and missed my alternate exit. There was no escape.

I had the same bubbling issues with sig 821 last year. I took a few close up photos of the screen and sent to my service contact. They set up a service time and replaced the screen with no issues.

Thanks @golfnut and @shrink for the feedback on LTE. So far 3G has been "seemingly" ok, however I don't have any experience with anything to compare it to. (First car I've ever had with an internet connection "like this"). Maybe I should just rely on the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" lol.